Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Meals - Complimentary?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2017, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by subject2load

Today's BA have zero shame in treating paying customers like this. The path recommended is likely to be far more effective than further correspondence with them.
To be fair on here we only usually get to hear the 'complaints' that aren't handled to the customers liking and of those we only get to hear one side of the story.
As the OP's main complaint seems to centre around the meals which weren't ordered through the normal chanel (MMB) I'm not so sure this is as big a BA fail as you're making it out to be.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
To be fair on here we only usually get to hear the 'complaints' that aren't handled to the customers liking and of those we only get to hear one side of the story.
As the OP's main complaint seems to centre around the meals which weren't ordered through the normal chanel (MMB) I'm not so sure this is as big a BA fail as you're making it out to be.
not just the meals but the cleanliness as well- if social media confirmed they ordered my meals and they are a contact channel for ba then they need to be held accountable for their failing
Old Jun 18, 2017, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Anticipate mouth-watering menus from some of the world’s top chefs, thoughtfully prepared using locally sourced, seasonal produce and elegantly presented.

Tempting menus especially for you

Savour a meal of your choice from our three-course-menu inspired by the world’s top chefs with a glass of our expertly sourced wine to complete your dining experience.

In the morning you can enjoy a hot or a continental breakfast, a great way to start the day.

Afternoon flights include a savoury snack or afternoon tea, quintessentially English with tea supplied by Twinings accompanied by savouries and warm scones.
What price would you put on this ?
Old Jun 18, 2017, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
for me it's quite difficult to say that's why I've asked others but it's significant due to the length of the flight
Old Jun 18, 2017, 9:21 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I would ask for 10k Avios rather than a monetary value, on the basis the experience was spoiled and that's a known figure BA has compensated to recently.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 9:30 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by haroon145
for me it's quite difficult to say that's why I've asked others but it's significant due to the length of the flight
I think you may have trouble claiming the value is greater due to the flight length, I agree it makes it more problematic practically but that's not really a factor in the amount you can claim as the value of 'a meal' remains the same.

Also, that you were offered a special meal which you declined would also be in BAs favour (I'm not saying your reason for doing so wasn't good but if you were offered something suitable diet wise and declined then that's going to complicate your argument).

I've no idea what / how much you might claim for an inadequately cleaned cabin as you've not really suffered any loss there.

I suspect you may get something from CEDR as there is some merit to your complaints but I'd not expect very much at all. I'd ballpark £50-100 as very rough amount - so much the same as BA's 10,000 avios standard offer in real value.

Though...my experience is with money claim online / small claims, I've yet to try my luck with CEDR and their approach is more 'common sense' than strict application of the law as mentioned before...
Old Jun 18, 2017, 9:46 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
not just the meals but the cleanliness as well- if social media confirmed they ordered my meals and they are a contact channel for ba then they need to be held accountable for their failing
If you're complaining about the cleanliness, it's worth noting that you probably shouldn't be describing what you found as a tampon (presuming that's the label you're applying to the item in the first photo).
Old Jun 18, 2017, 9:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
First, as a practical matter, OP ought to submit a written note to BA's customer service listing in clear & concise language what went wrong, e.g., failure to load a special meal and fact that what was offered did not look tasty AND then that the cabin was not clean. I would refrain from the assertion that the fluid was urine and simply state that it looked like it. This ought to be 3-4 short declarative sentences.

Forget telephone, Twitter and the like. These sorts of things are best and most effectively in clear & effective prose rather than asking questions. There is a free webform for this purpose.

As to the value of the mess, the value of the meal is the value of the meal. BA goes through CEDR, MCOL, and small claims proceedings all the time and certainly has priced out a CW meal. These are legal -- or alternative dispute -- systems, not customer service commentary sites. I would expect GBP 25-30 and, of course, a refund of the GBP 25 filing fee (same with MCOL or small claims.

This is why OP will likely do better through the customer service route. That is more focused on customer satisfaction and brand than it is on valuation.

But, if OP is a minimum wage worker, he has already expended more time than he will see compensated.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
I would ask for 10k Avios rather than a monetary value, on the basis the experience was spoiled and that's a known figure BA has compensated to recently.
if that's what they are known to offer easily, the request should be much higher, like 50k Avios. It does not mean the OP should not accept 10k if offered this during the process, but lowballing the request makes it almost unworthy.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
First, as a practical matter, OP ought to submit a written note to BA's customer service listing in clear & concise language what went wrong, e.g., failure to load a special meal and fact that what was offered did not look tasty AND then that the cabin was not clean. I would refrain from the assertion that the fluid was urine and simply state that it looked like it. This ought to be 3-4 short declarative sentences.

Forget telephone, Twitter and the like. These sorts of things are best and most effectively in clear & effective prose rather than asking questions. There is a free webform for this purpose.

As to the value of the mess, the value of the meal is the value of the meal. BA goes through CEDR, MCOL, and small claims proceedings all the time and certainly has priced out a CW meal. These are legal -- or alternative dispute -- systems, not customer service commentary sites. I would expect GBP 25-30 and, of course, a refund of the GBP 25 filing fee (same with MCOL or small claims.

This is why OP will likely do better through the customer service route. That is more focused on customer satisfaction and brand than it is on valuation.

But, if OP is a minimum wage worker, he has already expended more time than he will see compensated.
yes I have spent time but it's more the frustration and I don't think writing will make any difference as they are sending me a cedr letter
Old Jun 18, 2017, 10:13 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Takiteasy
if that's what they are known to offer easily, the request should be much higher, like 50k Avios. It does not mean the OP should not accept 10k if offered this during the process, but lowballing the request makes it almost unworthy.
I haven't been through the CEDR process, but I would say a reasonable expectation - and 10k is the high end here based on BA's compensation 'matrix' as we understand it, so 5k is equally possible - would sit better and be far more likely to find success than something wholly unrealistic. CEDR is not a negotiation process, it is arbitration. Ask for 10k, probably get it. Ask for 50k - you might just get nothing and end up with a £25 bill.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by Takiteasy
I'd caution against this - this isn't a negotiating position you're taking with CEDR and making unreasonably high claims will work against you in both CEDR and MCOL (if it comes to that).

50k avios is quite a lot however you value them and could be seen as an unreasonable request in this case I htink...
Old Jun 18, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: Always J
OP - I think you're onto a hiding to nothing regards the special meal.

Though, you might be the first person ever to have preordered their CW food via Twitter. That's some accomplishment in itself.

Did BA apologise for the rest of the mess?
Old Jun 18, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Special meal was ordered through twitter team on the phone several weeks before the flight
Were you on the phone to the Twitter team?

Is that even possible?
Old Jun 18, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by edi-traveller
Were you on the phone to the Twitter team?

Is that even possible?
Yes, to be accurate they call themselves the social media team. They've called me back a few times after sending DMs via Twitter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.