Wiki Posts
Search

Overweight in Club World

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2017, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Overweight in Club World

Hello!

I will be flying Club World on BA from the states to London next month with some friends. On one flight we will be on a 747 and on the other we will be on a 777.

One member of my party is in window seats on both flights. How large is the space to get through to the window seats? They flyer is a bit concerned, based on photos, that she will have trouble squeezing in due to weight. She's fine getting into rows on normal domestic flights.

Any guess as to how large the space is to get in would be greatly appreciated.

Also, as a general question: how hard is it to get out of the window seat without disturbing the person in the aisle seat? Usually we fly World Traveller Plus, but Club World was cheaper.

THANKS!
Old Jun 16, 2017, 1:17 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Why have they not chosen an aisle if they're worried?

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, HH Diamond, Fairmont RIP, Hertz Plat, BA Gold
The window seats facing the rear bulkheads can be a little tight. I'm a little overweight and I can squeeze in, but someone obese would probably have issues. The regular window seats are not an issue as long as she can step over the legs of a sleeping neighbor (maybe 12-15 inches off the ground).

On the 747, 62 A&K are the best. She wouldn't have to squeeze between a bulkhead or climb over a neighbor.

Programs: BA Oneworld
The space to to access the window is generally fine but the concern would be getting in or out if the aisle passenger is sleeping and their stool is lowered. If general mobility/agility is limited, I would suggest your friend take an aisle seat or a bassinet window at the rear of the CW cabin.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 1:18 pm

I have observed a large chap failing to get through the gap between aisle and window in CW but he was pretty big (like spill over economy seat big).

I think that if she can get into a normal economy row and doesn't spill over then she'll be fine.

In terms of getting out of the window - it is overplayed here how difficult it is but it is a bit of a pain. You just have to lift your leg high.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Why have they not chosen an aisle if they're worried?
Because she hates aisle seats and wants the privacy window seats provide.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MPH1980
I have observed a large chap failing to get through the gap between aisle and window in CW but he was pretty big (like spill over economy seat big).

I think that if she can get into a normal economy row and doesn't spill over then she'll be fine.

In terms of getting out of the window - it is overplayed here how difficult it is but it is a bit of a pain. You just have to lift your leg high.
Thanks!
Old Jun 16, 2017, 1:34 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

If she is able to squeeze in and out of a normal domestic seat row then a CW window seat shouldn’t present any major obstacles. There maybe a footstool to contend with but it will be very low when deployed - as FFMilesJunkie says, about 12-15 inches above the floor. I have seen passengers contort themselves quite dramatically when manoeuvring in/out of the seat in a Ministry of Silly Walks kind of way when really they didn’t need to but I can understand their reasons for overcompensating the clearance they were giving.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Just make sure that she has one of the party in the aisle seat just in case.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 2:02 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

This is a very rough measured diagram but it should give a good enough idea of the spatial layout in and around the seat
Attached Images  
Old Jun 16, 2017, 2:13 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk wanderlust852, if I may add to the welcome given by my colleague golfmad in the other thread.

I would have thought that the tight bit would be 747 upper deck (which I would certainly advocate you trying if you haven't done it before). I would have thought that she would have to be some way over a 40 inch waist to have a major problem there. Downstairs the curvature of the aircraft is a bit better than upper deck. 777 it's all the same really. I would just urge anyone carry a little bit of weight (to quote from Calvin) to get into the CW seat fairly slowly: the whole seating unit is linked together, so a heavy landing reverberates down several seats.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 5:09 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Can I just appreciate the level of civility and helpfulness contributors to this thread have offered?

If all of FT could run this way. Cheers to the BA forum.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by wanderlust852
Because she hates aisle seats and wants the privacy window seats provide.
It is hard to provide an answer to such a general question. It is much more of an issue for large people to access window seats than aisle ones, but of course, it depends on what one considers large. I have seen many slim people enter their window seats sideways if it gives an indication. They might manage to walk straight but when you see it, it looks tight and you worry you might not. If your friend has a genuine obesity problem, I would very much recommend that she chooses an aisle seat however much she might 'hate' them, for both her safety and comfort.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 2:50 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by Prospero
This is a very rough measured diagram but it should give a good enough idea of the spatial layout in and around the seat
Getting a diagram of the seat layout with measurements from BA's patent application is quite clever!
Old Jun 17, 2017, 3:40 am

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bj27
Can I just appreciate the level of civility and helpfulness contributors to this thread have offered?

If all of FT could run this way. Cheers to the BA forum.
Welcome to the UK!

For Queen and Country.

Note: I contributed nothing but I will fly the flag nonetheless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.