Wiki Posts
Search

BA/Avios Italy to LGW

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2017, 7:05 am
Original Poster

BA/Avios Italy to LGW

Long time reader, first time threader.

Looking to book BA BRI-LGW one way in July via Avios, if possible. There's not a single seat on points for months except for one random day in October. That's in spite of the fact that the flight I want, July 24, appears to only have sold maybe a dozen or so seats, flight looks very empty.

Does BA just not offer rewards seats on these kinds of routes? Or do they wait until last minute? Thank you in advance.

And if anyone has views on just how bad IAD-LHR 747 in CW is, welcome thoughts on that too. Sadly they downgraded from A380 to 777 for 630p flight and 777 to 747 for 1030p flight. Shocking since summer flights I would think would be jam packed.

Thank you again in advance - and apologies if I've not done this correctly as a first timer posting here.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 7:15 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
OK... you're in the right place.

If they have a dozen seat assignments in economy then that is actually a lot. Because passengers have to pay to select seats more than 24/48h before travel, most don't (except those who get to choose due to status). So it's normal for a full flight to look empty on the seat map. If you advise which date you want then Expertflyer can give a better answer.

As for Club on the 747... it's fine. It's especially fine on the upper deck, and at night, when you want to sleep. The original entertainment on the unrefurbished 747 is not great by any stretch, but it's survivable. If you get to choose an upper deck seat then it's the best Club experience on BA because it is so spacious, so private, and such a small cabin. Even if downstairs, CW is a pretty consistent product across different aircraft, so you're not suffering too badly!
Old Jun 8, 2017, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Oh right, I forgot that most people don't select seats unless they pay for them (still getting used to that in the U.S.). I am looking at BA 2591 BRI-LGW on July 24, 2017. Just struck me as odd that there's not a single reward seat for months best I could tell. Thanks Cymro!

And thanks and very glad to hear re: CW, got somewhat of a deal, $1750 after using Avios to knock ~$300 per ticket off the price.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 7:32 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
OK, the seat availability for BRI [Bari]-LGW in different fare buckets is as follows:

J9 C7 D3 R1 I0 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L8 V0 N0 Q0 O0 S0 G0
So there are still a reasonable number of seats, but no guaranteed reward seats for gold card holders (V bucket). It's impossible to say exactly how may but it looks like it will be quite busy.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 7:49 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Firstly, welcome to FT and to the BAEC forum in particular, I'm sure a forum ambassador will be along shortly to officially welcome you.

Some good advice, for information, BA release their reward seats at T-355 and on that flight there will have been at least 2 ET (economy) and 2 CE (business) reward available.

BA CityFlyer release them a little later as the flights are loaded.

Sadly, this is probably a popular route in the summer and its now only a few weeks away. You could also look at Avios Part Payment, which essentially means that you buy a revenue ticket but use Avios to reduce the cost. This doesn't require award availability.

Best of luck and do feel free to let us know what you decide and how you found the flight.

I'd agree with the advice for the 747 above.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Thank you navylad and cymro, very much appreciate the counsel. I have no BA status, so it's hunting for a needle in a haystack I guess.

Direct cost is 387 euros one way for 2 people. avios points options are 27,500 to cut 176 euros total, or 14,000 points to cut 114 euros. Seems like a lot of points, but roughly the price of one person's ticket....I am using Amex MR points to transfer over so it's effectively 35k points for the 176 euro option or 17,500 for the 114 euro option.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by dcscribe
Thank you navylad and cymro, very much appreciate the counsel. I have no BA status, so it's hunting for a needle in a haystack I guess.

Direct cost is 387 euros one way for 2 people. avios points options are 27,500 to cut 176 euros total, or 14,000 points to cut 114 euros. Seems like a lot of points, but roughly the price of one person's ticket....I am using Amex MR points to transfer over so it's effectively 35k points for the 176 euro option or 17,500 for the 114 euro option.
Indeed, part payment is not usually the best value for points, but don't forget it does mean that you still get full Avios and Tier Points for your flight, useful if your looking to get status.

I get it to be €341.28 going via Google Flights to BA.com, booking into Fare code L earning 539 Avios and 10 TPs each, given 12000 avios takes off €12 off, that would effectively make the flight €329.28; it probably not the best option but it is an option.

If you can fly 2 days later, the flight is a lot cheaper (total excluding any money you take off would be €203.28) although this books into O so half the Avios and TPs.

LCC may be the way to go and save the Avios for other things (better value if used for LH flights or RFS when there is availability). For the 24th, FR is €113 to STN, and U2 is €273 to LGW. Cheapest would be FR's flight on the 25th at €66, but by weary that arrives at 2340 in Stanstead which is probably why it is cheap.

Alternatively, you could get the Train to Rome, there is RFS availability in business for the two of you which would be 30k Avios and £50 plus whatever the train fare is to Rome. Note this takes you into LHR rather than LGW, with currently 4 seats available on the 1145 flight and 8 seats available on the 2015 flight.

Had a quick search (I'm not great at finding train fairs in Europe) but the fares I could find would be about €35 each.

Having given you the option though, I should probably also point out that is a ZB flight FCO-LTN for €100 for the two of you which is another option.

Last edited by navylad; Jun 8, 2017 at 10:00 am
Old Jun 8, 2017, 10:08 am

deleted, it posted into the wrong thread.

Mods please delete if you get a moment.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Many thanks navylad. The train trip to Rome while lovely, takes a chunk of the day. I think my best bet is either the U2 or BA flight. This trip is the tail end of our honeymoon and we want to get to London to spend time with some friends. We will probably have a nice breakfast and then head to the airport. Sadly flights out of BDS require a connection and aren't really cheaper. We leave London on the 27th so our calendar is set.

But I am very grateful for your research, I hadn't thought of those other options. The insights throughout this thread have been incredibly helpful!!
Old Jun 20, 2017, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Well, I finally pulled the trigger and paid for the tix, I saw no sign that they would open up awards tickets (there aren't any for this week let along a month from now) and was worried a month out prices would start to creep up. I paid 183 euros each (bought 2) for euro traveller tix (with 1 checked bag each, so the plus option).

I will report back on the flights, both the short hop and the long haul - secretly hoping there's an aircraft substitution on the latter so we get better CW seats, but I know that's wishful thinking. ;-) Thanks again for your insights and cheers.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:20 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by dcscribe
Long time reader, first time threader.
Originally Posted by navylad
Firstly, welcome to FT and to the BAEC forum in particular, I'm sure a forum ambassador will be along shortly to officially welcome you.
Sorry it's a bit late @dcscribe. Here's your official welcome It's good to see you here. Please do update us with your experiences.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Smile

Originally Posted by golfmad
Sorry it's a bit late @dcscribe. Here's your official welcome It's good to see you here. Please do update us with your experiences.
Thank you, much appreciated!!
Old Jun 21, 2017, 4:49 pm
formerly maskelo

you did the right thing - Avios are great if you have flexibility and are booking in advance. If you have a particular date you must travel, anh you haven't planned well in advance there is a chance you won't be lucky unfortunately....

By the way, welcome to FT

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.