Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

If BA do get worse over time what would you do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If BA do get worse over time what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by FlyingSalami
No tablets here! I've just been let down by the rude staff and poor product of J on BA.
your statement is still utter madness!
Old Jun 5, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
I would (and now do!) choose the best combination of flight time (both duration and arrival/departure time) and price for my route.

I've found stepping away from BA-blind loyalty to be pretty refreshing. I still use BA as it offers a great route network for me, living in the southern half of England, but it's truly liberating to fly on whoever offers the best service to where I need to go.
Me too.

Recently I have flown with EZY, Swiss and Austrian (economy) for business flights and they have all been a much more relaxed experience than the BA flights.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Is status really that important to you considering you only fly business?

Bar mileage bonuses what do you get? Or are you talking about Gold level and above only? (Edit- oh and seat selection actually with BA! Although flying on another alliance could be 120 quid cheaper)
A combination of benefits, Sir.

• Certainly the 100% Avios bonus, to support the annual 2-4-1. Remember we only travel 4/5 times a year, and grocery shopping won't generate too many Avios.
  • Seat selection we had as Silver, but as Gold gets access to potentially even better seats [although we're not fans of bulkheads].
  • The BAEC Gold phone line usually gets answered.
  • First check-in has been VERY beneficial at LGW in the holiday season. The CW queues at LGW were horrendous!
  • Baggage allowance was useful, but our wardrobes are now full to capacity
  • Priority Boarding with AA [who can operate it, unlike BA] is nice too. As I age further, standing in line for ages becomes less appealing
  • Better Lounge access in the USA under OW rules? Not sure - it seems to work.

But there is, I acknowledge, a 'status' thing in play as well. I like to be GOLD
Old Jun 5, 2017, 1:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Originally Posted by Arctic Troll
Yes.

Look what Willie did to Aer Lingus.
Yes he bought it and integrated it into IAG. Has it gone down hill since then also?
Old Jun 5, 2017, 1:28 pm

deleted
Old Jun 5, 2017, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by icegirl
Yes he bought it and integrated it into IAG. Has it gone down hill since then also?
And the reputation of BA, EI, Vueling and the impending illegitimate child 'Level' is what?

Just asking, I'm not an expert, and we only fly l/h in J.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 1:55 pm
Suspended

I think BA's had their ups and downs over the years but have always corrected things. I am talking more on a Business/First class level.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by knicksplayer
I think BA's had their ups and downs over the years but have always corrected things. I am talking more on a Business/First class level.
Hey, welcome aboard! Do please stick around and continue to contribute! These are troubled times, so do please excuse a bit of controversial comment occasionally. We're usually quite placid, and even nice

Yes, that's a fair call. Every company/airline has its ups and downs. My reading here suggests BA is just DOWN over the last few years, and we're really looking forward to some UP. A replacement flower in the First Class toilet isn't going to convince anyone
Old Jun 5, 2017, 2:10 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by knicksplayer
Indeed, market forces and all that, and also a warm welcome to FT and the BAEC board from me too!
Old Jun 5, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
This is interesting.. I will become Gold in a few months after many years of Silver both that's to this place.

I do like the concept of BA Holidays secure a flight and hotel or whatever else you want based on a deposit and pay it off in dribs and drabs until 5 weeks before. Can't think of anybody who matches that.

Lounges mostly Ok, a few misses , cabin crew one of the best assets, in board experience good to poor to underwhelming.

Customer Relations/Service Recovery from wow can't get better to really... an OMG moment.

Enhancements it's give with one hand take with another... e.g. Nice meal in CE to RAK but downgrade lunch and dinner flights to PRG to a panini..

I think the latter really irks me the most.. revenue fares with LX much of a muchness. Acanthus try the new lounge at T2. Seamless transfer at ZRH even wi delays.. door to door times on way home much of a muchness if flying into LCY 10 minutes from home..

I've not seen any other airline offer a similar holiday option.. like Uncle T warming to the joys of AA on westbound flights.. not been east for 8 years keen to give some of he ME3 a try.

I'm hoping BA smell the coffee and realise that you can't chip away at things constantly but bearing in mind how long it's taken for them to reinstate seat assignment on HBO fares and the fact that despite a 100% non availability of Tanquaray Gin on CE and with this being fed back each occasion I'm not holding out much hope.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
It's not just BA in a race to the bottom, seems other OW airlines are falling apart too
- AA is the new UA in terms of unreliability, LCC-style "enhancements" and cramming in more seats to the cabin.
- AB is going bust
- Qatar is flying huge detours around Saudi & Egyot
- Even Cathay is losing money and making enhancements
- Avios are pretty worthless for most routes due to BA's colossal surcharges, best value was for shorthaul eg AA domestic flights. Except AA has blacked out almost all domestic award seats, ha ha.
- Add the spiteful attitude to latecomers at T5, and it's an easy decision to go with Star Alliance
Old Jun 5, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by harryhv
- Qatar is flying huge detours around Saudi & Egyot
This isn't exactly QR's fault, if you read the news, Qatar is currently experiencing a major diplomatic incident that has resulted in land and air being cut off and Qataris being banned from GCC countries (asked to leave many within 14 days). This isn't due to a race to the bottom but requirements put in place by other countries.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 7:26 pm

Location: Usually LAX or SFO but sometimes MIA in the winter or LCY or PVK in the summer and every now and then SIN or SGN
Programs: in ASM, APL & C++ but never Java
While I genuinely like most things about BA, I'm going to give Air New Zealand a shot on the LAX LHR run
Old Jun 5, 2017, 11:59 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
You say "if"... But with them outsourcing the call centres, it's proof customer service is last place and BA is only looking to the next quarter.

Munoz (UA) and Cruz might as well be sharing a flat.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by FlyingSalami
No tablets here! I've just been let down by the rude staff and poor product of J on BA.
Soon it will be no tablets for any of us Westbound (so it would appear!!!)

It is hard to keep loyalty to a company that shows no loyalty in return. I feel for the dedicated professional BA crew who have served the original BA for many loyal years only to see it mutate into the current corporate monstrosity it has become. Enough to destabilise anyone's foundation. I applaud the many of them who still do an excellent job!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.