Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Gold Priority Reward - two ppl from LHR - BCN return

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2017, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue

Hi All,

I had a look at two return tickets to BCN from LHR at the end of July (29/07-30/07). Unfortunately there is no avios availability and BA wants to charge me close to 900 pounds for two economy return flights.

I remember that there is a Gold Priority Award, but I have never used it before.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ditions-of-use

Can I use the reward to book two economy return tickets and how many Avios would it cost?

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...preventdefault

I used the BA avios calculator but it gives me all sort of options. It will be peak period, but then the amount is ranging from
7500 Avios + £0.00 to 2500 Avios + £40.00.

Now a gold priority reward would be twice the Avios amount. Is possible to go for the lower Avios amount and pay more in cash?

Cheers
Old May 30, 2017, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

I got a gold card. So it will be full avios (15k x2 per person)... Do you know whether I can book two economy tickets as the other person has only a silver card?

Last edited by LTN Phobia; May 30, 2017 at 3:33 pm Reason: Edited out the removed post
Old May 30, 2017, 1:36 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by are51
I got a gold card. So it will be full avios (15k x2 per person)... Do you know whether I can book two economy tickets as the other person has only a silver card?
Yes you can. In fact you don't need to travel to use the GPR, you can allow others to take advantage of this facility, in line with the general constraints in this area (e.g. on HHA), however you need to make the booking and it has to come off your Avios collection.

Bear in mind this can be cancelled free of charge if conventional redemptions come on stream.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; May 30, 2017 at 3:33 pm Reason: Edited due to editing of earlier post
Old May 30, 2017, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes you can. In fact you don't need to travel to use the GPR, you can allow others to take advantage of this facility, in line with the general constraints in this area (e.g. on HHA), however you need to make the booking and it has to come off your Avios collection.

Bear in mind this can be cancelled free of charge if conventional redemptions come on stream.
Thank you very much. So it will be 60k Avios, so now I just need to decide whether they are worth close to 900 pounds.
Old May 30, 2017, 1:44 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thank you very much. So it will be 60k Avios, so now I just need to decide whether they are worth close to 900 pounds.
It's not amazing use of Avios, but it's way better than your idea of reducing the number of Avios by paying more cash! Broadly speaking this is 1.5p value per Avios, I try to get 2p per Avios, which isn't always possible, but it's much better than (e.g.) using Avios to reduce revenue ticket prices (typically 0.7p per Avios or less), car hire or hotels (0.6p per Avios).
Old May 30, 2017, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Just one more follow up: Is it better two book two single tickets in case there is later Avios availability for just one leg? Cheers
Old May 30, 2017, 1:51 pm

Just one more follow up: Is it better two book two single tickets in case there is later Avios availability for just one leg? Cheers
Yes. I should have mentioned that.
Old May 30, 2017, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Yes. I should have mentioned that.
Thank you very much for all your help.
Old May 30, 2017, 2:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Wouldn't you still have to pay the £25 cancellation fee?
Old May 30, 2017, 2:16 pm

@corporate-wage-slave

Far be it for me to correct one as exalted as you, but even if a return GPR is booked, one of the legs can be chopped out and replaced with a normal Avios ticket if availability subsequently becomes available. I know this because I just did exactly that, and was also told it was possible a few weeks back by the Gold line.

Not sure it makes a huge difference in practical terms, but just thought I would mention!!
Old May 30, 2017, 2:18 pm

There are no cancellation fees for GPRs.

To my mind they are the best thing about the Executive Club and the only reason I still collect Avios, given that getting long haul flights for the family is near impossible. I've booked three GPRs this year which have saved me over £5,000 vs the cash fare.
Old May 30, 2017, 2:20 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by TravellingSalesman
Wouldn't you still have to pay the £25 cancellation fee?
Handily GPRs are an exception, with no cancellation fees (unless it changed in the last few weeks). I've managed this several times, although sometimes the agent needs reminding.

I'm on mobile so struggle to link, but the page on BA.com detailing the reward booking service fees has a footnote to this effect.
Old May 30, 2017, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by bigmerv
Far be it for me to correct one as exalted as you, but even if a return GPR is booked, one of the legs can be chopped out and replaced with a normal Avios ticket if availability subsequently becomes available. I know this because I just did exactly that, and was also told it was possible a few weeks back by the Gold line.
Yes, that is certainly possible. But it is easier for the agent to manipulate if singles (particularly if one sector has already been flown), and it is often cheaper due to the differences in taxes on the BCN-LHR sector.
Old May 30, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
How about using EasyJet from LGW? The price is far more reasonable and these days there isn't much difference if flying economy point to point.
Old May 30, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: BA GGL
There are other ways, too:

Ignoring Ryanair (£130 return) and easyJet (£240 return), BA is bookable through Iberia for £310 return, rising to £345 depending on flight choices:
https://www.google.co.uk/flights/#se...LGW0BA2711;s=0

Edit: above is from LGW, not LHR. Still has an F lounge though.

Last edited by mmxbreaks; May 30, 2017 at 2:50 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.