Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

27 May 'worldwide' BA IT outage | practical assistance/advice [Clutter-free please]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 27, 2017, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
All IT systems are back up and running and BA are operating normal flight schedules.

PLEASE ASK ALL COMPENSATION RELATED QUESTIONS IN THE DEDICATED TOPIC: The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004. The full list of cancelled and delayed flights for Sunday is to be found here, though note that it is the arrival time that matters for delays.

Successful (or otherwise) reports for claims where the information would be of use to others would, however, be very welcome in this thread.

Monday flight cancellations for LHR listed here. Services to and from LGW, LCY and STN seem to be working more or less on time.. Telephone numbers for rebooking are in this post, note also the difference between what contact centres and airport staff can do, noted here.

Updated 29/05/2017 22:50 (UK time) Link to BA updates: https://www.britishairways.com/trave...VINF4more_news

Baggage
There are a significant number of bags at Heathrow which we will be reuniting with customers via couriers as soon as we can. This will be done free of charge. Please help us to get these to you as quickly as possible by ensuring we have your latest contact details by filing a delayed bag report.

If your journey was disrupted -
Because of the scale of the disruption, most passengers should expect to make their own arrangements to mitigate the disruption as BA will not have resources to assist all passengers. BA have a duty of care under EU Regulation 261/2004 and according to this letter handed out at Gatwick the following costs would usually be claimable from BA.
  • £25 for reasonable meal/refeshment expenses (per adult per day)
  • 2 reasonable phone calls per customer

If an overnight stay is required
  • £200 for a hotel room (for 2 people)
  • £50 Transport to/from the airport (round trip)

Although BA has suggested some guideline costs for duty of care, EU Regulation 261/2004 doesn't specify any monetary cap. By documenting (take a screen capture of a hotel comparison site for example) that there were no cheaper alternatives, it is possible that claims exceeding the guideline costs suggested by BA may be met. Expenses not covered by BA may be claimable from your travel insurance subject to possible policy excesses.

Duty of care is separate from fixed sum compensation (EUR 250 to 600 depending on the flight distance) for flight delays/cancellations, which may or may not be payable under EU Regulation 261/2004 depending on whether BA can show that the flight delay was caused by 'extraordinary circumstances' and that it took 'all reasonable measures' to avoid the resulting delay. Also, airlines do not usually entertain claims for consequential losses (for example, the cost of prepaid accomodation which you can't now use), so you would need to look to your travel insurance for these costs.

EU Regulation 261/2004 does not cover delayed/damaged/lost baggage. The Montreal Convention sets an upper limit for delayed/damaged/lost baggage compensation. For more information, visit the BA.com webpage on delayed/damaged/lost baggage.

You can read the forum thread for guidance on EU Regulation 261/2004 or check back on these forums later for more advice on claiming, but first of all look after yourself during this disruption.

Claiming expenses incurred during the disruption
https://disruptionclaim.britishairways.com/

Historic update as of 18:55 on Saturday

All BA flights from LHR and LGW are cancelled for the remainder of the day (Saturday 27th May). This is due to a major systems outage of most of BA's computer systems. The original cause of the outage was a power failure from which BA has found it difficult to recover.

Because Call Centre systems are also down, and their own web pages may be affected, BA is encouraging affected customer to seek updates via BA Twitter feed and Facebook page.

Alex Cruz has indicated that those passengers who no longer wish to fly with BA on their booking for today will be "fast tracked" for refunds. However, no mechanism for this has yet been communicated (7pm Saturday). Again affected customers are asked to follow the relevant Twitter and Facebook communication channels.

There are reportedly long delays leaving the airport with some customers claiming delays of many hours.
Print Wikipost

27 May 'worldwide' BA IT outage | practical assistance/advice [Clutter-free please]

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2017, 7:53 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
Originally Posted by techie
That's for actual expenses, though, not for an EU261 Article 7 claim.
Old May 28, 2017, 7:55 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BAAZ
That's for actual expenses, though, not for an EU261 Article 7 claim.
There is a note of the page to claim EC261 on the EC261 thread.
Old May 28, 2017, 8:05 am

Programs: American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, Southwest
We are on the other side of things -- flying TO LHR from Madrid tomorrow. Flights show all on time for tomorrow -- and some of today's flights to LHR are OK (or running a bit late).

I suspect Monday will be a bit less fraught -- but as a bit of a safety -- we repacked our carry on to include clothes for Tuesday as well.

We're unable to complete check in -- we get past the number of bags to check screen and going next returns an "unable to complete online checkin -- please check in at the airport). Since we are going to be checking bags and flying J -- I hope things work out OK tomorrow -- but frankly this is a serious case of messed up.

We'll be flying out of LHR on Thursday for the US and hope by then the outbound dust from LHR has settled.
Old May 28, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by Globaliser
If BA15 LHR-SIN on Saturday did not operate, then presumably there will be trouble for BA15 SIN-SYD on Sunday night as well (although given the time difference to SIN I imagine that by now anyone affected will already have found out).
BA16 just boarded here.
Old May 28, 2017, 8:22 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

I'm finally seeing the red notice on the app re canceled flight / pls rebook/refund via mmb. If I just let the booking stay as-is, will the return flights be preserved? Thankfully our return isn't until a week from now but I'll try calling in when the dust settles.
Old May 28, 2017, 8:33 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by izzik
I'm finally seeing the red notice on the app re canceled flight / pls rebook/refund via mmb. If I just let the booking stay as-is, will the return flights be preserved? Thankfully our return isn't until a week from now but I'll try calling in when the dust settles.
Yes, the return will hold. Give BA a call when things calm down and confirm your plans with them then.
Old May 28, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by BarryAZ
We are on the other side of things -- flying TO LHR from Madrid tomorrow. Flights show all on time for tomorrow -- and some of today's flights to LHR are OK (or running a bit late).
If there are problems with BA flights, I'm sure they would get you on an Iberia flight. I wouldn't sweat it.
Old May 28, 2017, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by ckx2
Originally Posted by Globaliser
If BA15 LHR-SIN on Saturday did not operate, then presumably there will be trouble for BA15 SIN-SYD on Sunday night as well (although given the time difference to SIN I imagine that by now anyone affected will already have found out).
BA16 just boarded here.
Tonight's (Sunday night's) BA16 is being operated by the aircraft that left London on Friday night.

It's Sunday's BA15 SIN-SYD and Monday's BA16 SYD-SIN and SIN-LHR that are also cancelled as a result of Saturday night's BA15 LHR-SIN not departing.
Old May 28, 2017, 8:49 am

UPDATED ADVICE FROM BA:

Flights on Monday 29 May and Tuesday 30 May

If you are due to fly on Monday 29 May and no longer wish to travel, even if your flight is still operating, you can rebook to travel up to the end of November. If you are booked to travel on Tuesday 30 May on a short haul flight, including most European flights, you can also rebook for an alternative date before the end of November.
Old May 28, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
UPDATED ADVICE FROM BA:

Flights on Monday 29 May and Tuesday 30 May

If you are due to fly on Monday 29 May and no longer wish to travel, even if your flight is still operating, you can rebook to travel up to the end of November. If you are booked to travel on Tuesday 30 May on a short haul flight, including most European flights, you can also rebook for an alternative date before the end of November.
Thanks for that ^ Nice to see BA being more flexible/sympathetic. I also noticed that the previous information message is gone from ba.com.

Sods law really, the first half-term holiday we take and this happens. Mech, everything looks fine for us (touch wood) for tomorrow morning. I do feel sorry for those affected.

H
Old May 28, 2017, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by Hoch
Thanks for that ^ Nice to see BA being more flexible/sympathetic. I also noticed that the previous information message is gone from ba.com.
It would be impressive if they offered people EU261 compensation pro-actively and pay up quickly. Most people affected can't easily 'get a refund' and rebook last minute on another airline. Or postpone their family holiday.

If I had been the CEO of one of the LCCs I would have seen a great opportunity for a marketing scoop.
Old May 28, 2017, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by henkybaby
It would be impressive is they offered people EU261 compensation pro-actively.
If any airline did that they'd be out of business after a couple of 'situations' ... but that for the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...61-2004-a.html topic
Old May 28, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: BA Silver, SPG Gold, Amex Plat, BA Amex PP
Just as a data point, a friend was due to fly on BA 242 (MEX-LHR) saturday night and was pro actively rebooked on the Aeromexico flight leaving that same night. So clearly some out stations did have some freedom to rebook on non OW partner airlines.
Old May 28, 2017, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Checking in for tomorrow's flight on the app I have been prompted to add/reconfirm my contact details. Was able to check in succesfully so some progress there.

With the option to rebook Monday and Tuesday travel I wonder how many more cancellations are expected tonight and onwards. Doesn't feel much like the majority of services are being operated on shorthaul...
Old May 28, 2017, 9:57 am

The rebooking or refund offer isn't really as grand a gesture as they try to make it look. It's more or less the bare minimum they can do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.