Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR - SFO, change from A380 to 777

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2017, 4:35 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by hartwith
Very unlikely that BA would put the mid Js on such a premium/business heavy route. Nevertheless I'd still take the 789 SJC product, unless you need to be in downtown SF.
+1 on that, I'm sold on the whole SJC setup with BA now, super quick out of the airport, not unpleasant departures experience and the product is consistently good in J or F (and F reward availability has been pleasingly open when I've been looking)
Old Jun 1, 2017, 4:44 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by Jumbodriver
I don't think that's correct. The increase from 10 to 14 A380s to Joburg this winter is more than covered by the losses of 7 weekly Washington and 4 weekly LAs from last winter which had already been announced.

They will just position flight and cabin crew in and out from London.
Ah, sorry - didn't realise IAD was losing the A380 service. Not ideal to continually position crew in / out of London.

Pilot37
Old Jun 1, 2017, 5:28 pm

Any idea if row 39 is good for a couple on the 777? SeatGuru doesn't show the configuration with doubles at each side of the plane (I am assuming BA removed one toilet and added extra 2 seats).
Old Jun 2, 2017, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by apollo00
+1 on that, I'm sold on the whole SJC setup with BA now, super quick out of the airport, not unpleasant departures experience and the product is consistently good in J or F (and F reward availability has been pleasingly open when I've been looking)
It's absolutely horrendous in Y though - to the point of considering flying a different route just to avoid the 787...
Old Jun 2, 2017, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by =jon=
It's absolutely horrendous in Y though - to the point of considering flying a different route just to avoid the 787...
Oh absolutely, asked to fly Y from the bay area I'd go to SFO for the A380 (though I'd first consider refusing), anything above Y though and SJC wins hands down...
Old Jun 2, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by apollo00
How does the lounge compare ? I've departed SJC 3x, and the security experience was mixed, but the lounge often busy, food options always limited and TBH it stank of stale piss (apologies for language).

Is the SFO lounge any better ? (I've only ever tried entering once and was declined due to overcrowding).
Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by avon75
How does the lounge compare ? I've departed SJC 3x, and the security experience was mixed, but the lounge often busy, food options always limited and TBH it stank of stale piss (apologies for language).

Is the SFO lounge any better ? (I've only ever tried entering once and was declined due to overcrowding).
It's a bit of a standard issue US airport lounge but it's clean, the staff were pleasant throughout, there's a shower (which was clean and functional) and the alcohol selection is reasonable. There are nibbles but not much more usually. I've never seen it really overcrowded either.

SFO, on the other hand, is seemingly always busy and is a standard issue BA US outstation lounge in most respects. I wouldn't be swayed by one or the other, neither are in the league of Qantas First at LAX (or even the BA lounges at JFK to be honest) or as bad as, say, the AA lounges in PHX.

Agree security experience is mixed at SJC, I really wish there was a way to utilise TSA Pre on BA flights...
Old Jun 3, 2017, 11:53 am

Programs: Varies
Originally Posted by awtgiven
For the last three years, i've travelled to SFO in December to visit friends, always getting the 15.05 flight, which has always been an A380. Thisy year i'm travelling out on 13 December

Got a MyFlights notification that my seat had changed from my favourite upper deck seat with aisla access, 53K to the horrible 10A. Going to MMB, discover change of aircraft, and that the direct aisle seats of 15A and 15K have bassinets, so are blocked off.

Any intel on why the change of aircraft, and likelyhood of it changing back?
Just spotted this myself, and I've also lost my favourite 53J/K seats; I've been reallocated to 10A and 10B. I'd better scoot across to the 777 seating thread and see if I need to move from there. I do like a view from the window, and it looks as if row 10 has a view of the wing.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 11:59 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ttama
Just spotted this myself, and I've also lost my favourite 53J/K seats; I've been reallocated to 10A and 10B. I'd better scoot across to the 777 seating thread and see if I need to move from there. I do like a view from the window, and it looks as if row 10 has a view of the wing.
Row 10 only has two windows. Row 11 has a full complement of 3 and is still forward of the wing and engine.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: Varies
Originally Posted by KARFA
Row 10 only has two windows. Row 11 has a full complement of 3 and is still forward of the wing and engine.
Thank you! It looks like my other half won't be able to avoid a window seat where he has to step over someone. So maybe I'll get the window seat for a change and he can have the aisle

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.