Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Status extension for maternity/paternity/adoption

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status extension for maternity/paternity/adoption

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2020, 1:22 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Hmm. Don’t like the sound of that! I have a COVID extension until next October, and a baby due in a couple of months. Not been on a plane since March and, like most people I guess, can’t see that changing any time soon - was rather counting on the paternity leave benefit to see me through until travel starts again. Afraid if BA thinks that denying the paternity benefit (with zero cost to them as I won’t be using it) will force me back onto planes to earn TP, they’re wrong. Not a sense of entitlement here, it’s their product and their rules, just don’t understand the motivation to alienate folk.
Just apply for a status extension after 8 September 2022 (if that is your membership end date) which should extend your status to October 2024.

My son was born in May 2019. I made gold in 2016, soft landed to silver in Dec 2018, applied for baby extension Nov 2019 which extended it to Dec 2021. I wasn't expecting it, but I got a COVID extension until Dec 2022.

That's quite amazing, I think I have got 6 years of status from doing 2 QR longhaul returns, half an ex-AMS to BKK and a run to Tallinn.
Scots_Al and mikeyfly like this.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 5:32 am

Programs: BMI Dimond club, BA Executive Club
Just applied for the parental benefit and told a big fat no.

Really crap to be honest, My year is up so was expecting it to renew as I'm in a new year for 2021 to 2022.

They should remove it from the website until people can actually use it.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by pacenotes
Just applied for the parental benefit and told a big fat no.

Really crap to be honest, My year is up so was expecting it to renew as I'm in a new year for 2021 to 2022.

They should remove it from the website until people can actually use it.
If your year is up, are you not getting the COVID extension to hold your status into 2022? In which case, as per the post above, apply for the Baby extension when your COVID extension is about to expire... others with knowledge can advise exactly when the best time to apply is.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 6:02 am

Programs: BMI Dimond club, BA Executive Club
Don't you have to do it within 6 months of the birth?
Old Mar 11, 2021, 6:28 am

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ditions-of-use

Seems to be you have to enroll the baby to BAEC within 6 months of extension request. Nothing about requesting extension within 6 months of birth... BUT others can advise better than I can, having either been there, or better understanding of rules
Old Nov 12, 2021, 8:02 am
A13

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by pacenotes
Don't you have to do it within 6 months of the birth?
Originally Posted by GBOAC
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ditions-of-use

Seems to be you have to enroll the baby to BAEC within 6 months of extension request. Nothing about requesting extension within 6 months of birth... BUT others can advise better than I can, having either been there, or better understanding of rules
Just digging the above up. I had a baby in June but have delayed applying for the paternity benefit until after my membership year rolled over at beginning of October.
Currently on a covid extension, with status expiring November 2022. Was hoping to apply for this benefit soon so now the extension is applied to the current year (assumed if i did it before i moved into the new membership year i might hit a brick wall with currently being on an extension due to covid, if that makes sense).

Should there be any issue here in getting status extended out to November 2023? Do i need to do it before baby is 6 months (in a few weeks) as mentioned above?
Was planning on waiting until all the BAEC / Household Account changes have been completed at the end of the month to avoid complications too.

Thanks
Old Apr 20, 2022, 6:31 am

deleted

Last edited by markle; May 25, 2023 at 6:14 am Reason: deleted
Old Sep 2, 2022, 8:15 am
Glb

Hello, anyone knows how long does Ba take to respond to maternity/paternity status freeze these days? I sent all the info a month before my silver status expired, but it's now almost two months and still waiting
Old Sep 2, 2022, 8:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
I submitted the request for my status freeze for the arrival of Miss Wilsnunn approx 7 weeks ago and have yet to hear anything. After my experience in 2020 with Mstr Wilsnunn, I am not convinced that I will see any benefit though.
Glb likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 5:58 am

Programs: BA GGL
Does anyone have experience with a GGL extension under this benefit?

It does not explicitly reference GGL as being a status eligible for extension, but does reference GGLfL as being ineligible, hence the question.

Sounds like extensions of status extended due to COVID may not be eligible for further extension under this policy reading through the above?
Old Dec 14, 2022, 4:40 am

Did you ever get a response? I sent a request a few weeks back as well.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 4:45 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by Carmer
It does not explicitly reference GGL as being a status eligible for extension, but does reference GGLfL as being ineligible, hence the question.
GGLfL is excluded because it's a "for life" status - so no extension is ever required.

I know for a fact GGL has been extended for paternity benefit in the past, BUT with the current Covid extensions, etc. then it's a lottery.

That being said, if you have GGL then you have a dedicated phone line/email to ask the question to...
Old Jan 24, 2023, 8:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Sorry to bump an old thread - did anyone above ever receive a response? Or has anyone recently had any success with this policy? I sent a request in a few weeks ago.

If not, I assume they're either not checking the [email protected] address, or just ignoring it and the policy is effectively dead.

Worth getting hold of CS?
alex67500 likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 9:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
An update for anyone interested: Response received today... Silver renewed for another year despite already having quite a lot of extra time added on for covid and coming nowhere near the required TPs last year. Result!

It seems therefore that they're still offering this benefit... Puzzling as posts upthread and elsewhere have indicated people have been declined due to the covid renewals and reduced TP requirements.

The baby also got the 1000 Avios. I wonder whether that's enough for her to buy me a Brewdog on board when we next fly
alex67500 likes this.

Last edited by TraumaDoc; Jan 27, 2023 at 10:05 am
Old Mar 10, 2023, 7:00 am

Programs: BA Gold
Just bumping this to see what kind of timescale people received responses in, I'm debating when to follow up...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.