Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Meeting In Real Life Etiquette

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2017, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
Meeting In Real Life Etiquette

Hypethetical question:

You see a fellow traveller, who you think might be a FT BAEC regular, do you:

1. Ignore them - we're too British to talk IRL with strangers
2. Take out the laptop and click refresh on the FR BAEC tab and hope they notice
3. Flamboyantly take a photo of your meal
4: Run over and shout "you're @corporate-wage-slave and I claim my 500 Avios" !

?
Old May 9, 2017, 12:01 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
It all depends on if you fancy them
Old May 9, 2017, 12:04 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Joking aside, I've made some good friends off here - so it's worth it (though easier at a DO).
Old May 9, 2017, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
It's 1 then later you post on here how so and so ignored you and accuse them of printing out war and peace whilst drinking from a bottle of fizzy water.
Old May 9, 2017, 12:30 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
5. Write "DYKWIA" in pen on the front of the BoB menu and subtly wave it in front of them to see if they show any sign of recognition. If they give you a knowing wink you can strike up a conversation. I can see this going wrong.....
Old May 9, 2017, 12:30 am

I'm leaning toward 3. Something is curious about how you would take a food photograph flamboyantly.
Old May 9, 2017, 12:46 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
How about a message in the ft travel meet up thread; I'm in the lounge if anyone wants to meet up !
Old May 9, 2017, 12:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
I'm leaning toward 3. Something is curious about how you would take a food photograph flamboyantly.
The secret sign is you lean at a 45 degree angle when taking it or take it standing on one leg. Both well known FT signs and the other person will know your one of 'us'
Old May 9, 2017, 12:48 am

I've rendezvoused with several FTers in the lounge at TLL by listening for aviation-related chat and doing a very British "I couldn't help overhear, but...". As JamieABZ noted, you often have a sneaking suspicion sometimes, something you can't quite place...

Then again, if you want to track them down, the back 5 rows of the ATR-72 between TLL and HEL seems to be exclusively populated by FTers.
Old May 9, 2017, 12:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Write a critique of them on the DYKWIA thread accusing them of "being like marmite" then furiously back-pedal if they spot it.
Old May 9, 2017, 12:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I get 4. about once a fortnight. I mean, you all know where and how to find me. Funnily enough about half are not regular posters here, many have a post count of 0 or a very low one.

I have to say one of the privileges of being an ambassador, probably the best one, is getting to meet many of the FT contingent face to face. It's a very rare week that I don't meet at least one person from this forum somewhere on the road. I think I've met most of the household names here, with a few notable exceptions.

And the point about Dos is a good one. Of the hundreds of FTers who have been to Dos, I think I've only encountered one person who didn't enjoy it. For the overwhelming majority it's a great way to get an interesting circle of new friends with at least something in common.
Old May 9, 2017, 12:55 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Bright yellow giant FT labels on your bag:

http://www.flyertalk.com/store/
Old May 9, 2017, 12:57 am

I once tried to start a conversation with someone in the LAX lounge who I spotted using FT. He was very reluctant to chat and we both ended up feeling awkward. So, I don't think I would do that again.

I like the idea of standing on one leg and leaning over as this would not be embarrassing and if reciprocated could lead to an interesting chat while waiting for the aeroplane.
Old May 9, 2017, 1:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
A code phrase would be easier and you'd get some fantastic looks from non-FT'ers.

Non FT: "I hope this delay isn't too much longer"

FT: "Jean has a long moustache"

Non FT "Uhh, ok"
Old May 9, 2017, 1:10 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Quarky Quark
A code phrase would be easier and you'd get some fantastic looks from non-FT'ers.

Non FT: "I hope this delay isn't too much longer"

FT: "Jean has a long moustache"

Non FT "Uhh, ok"
That really made me laugh - cue some strange looks from passersbu as I'm reading this thread on my phone whilst walking the dog!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.