Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Club Europe on a 4-class 777: can I sit in First?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2017, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold

On tonight's ATH-LHR, we've had a 767 swapped for a 777-200ER. I've currently got row 10 (CW) assigned, but I can't help noticing there'll be a whole cabin in front of me...

Who should I ask and when, to maximise my chances of being allowed to sit in F? Or is it never going to happen, and should I just be happy with my CW seat for 4 hours?
Old May 1, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: BAEC
You are best to look at recent threads on 777s to MAD for detail on this. Ignore the stuff about hen dos

Short answer is that it will stay closed off unless they need the seats. Your best bet is to keep checking the app (don't download your BP so you can switch seats) and to ask at check in desks at the airport. If they don't open it up then asking on board is not going to get you anywhere. With the potential exception of being a GGL etc and/or being recognised by the CSM...
Old May 1, 2017, 9:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The answer would be the CSM on board.

However: I think that 777 aircraft is somehow nearly full in both CE and ET. Not sure how that happened. Oh actually I can: everyone thinks A3 goes on strike on May Day (but they don't). Unless you've been put there already (which may show on the BA App Manage My Flight section), it looks full already.
Old May 1, 2017, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Hmm, interesting - MMB only gave me the seat map for the CW cabin before I got my BP, but there were still plenty of options there (maybe 10 I could have selected). However, I'm already in the lounge (left plenty of time for the journey thanks to the strikes...) so maybe the moment has passed.

Still, probably worth a friendly query as I board I suppose...
Old May 1, 2017, 9:26 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Deltus
Hmm, interesting - MMB only gave me the seat map for the CW cabin before I got my BP, but there were still plenty of options there (maybe 10 I could have selected).
That sounds about right. This is what I'm seeing in ExpertFlyer:

Still, you're going to have a good ride home regardless and I hope you enjoy the flight.
Old May 1, 2017, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Ah well, nevermind then, I'll happily stay in 10K!

Thanks for your advice!
Old May 1, 2017, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Who should I ask and when, to maximise my chances of being allowed to sit in F?
Check in. If they say no, one should take no for an answer.
Old May 1, 2017, 10:34 am

On tonight's ATH-LHR, we've had a 767 swapped for a 777-200ER. I've currently got row 10 (CW) assigned, but I can't help noticing there'll be a whole cabin in front of me...

Who should I ask and when, to maximise my chances of being allowed to sit in F? Or is it never going to happen, and should I just be happy with my CW seat for 4 hours?
Try wearing a wedding dress. That seems to work.
Old May 1, 2017, 11:15 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The answer would be the CSM on board.

However: I think that 777 aircraft is somehow nearly full in both CE and ET. Not sure how that happened. Oh actually I can: everyone thinks A3 goes on strike on May Day (but they don't). Unless you've been put there already (which may show on the BA App Manage My Flight section), it looks full already.
Mind you C-W-S , the 777-200 ER in G-VIIK takes 226 seats while the 767 takes about the same (up to 259) so maybe the 767 broke or something?

And ATH is absolutely packed today, was stuck in a lot of traffic, so I assume many people are hightailing it out of GR due to exams for students and also so many Greeks work in UK now so came for a quick weekend!

OP:

As a bonus you get the 2010 Thales IFE, no ghetto 777 to ATH! Enjoy the flight, I hope IFE is not blocked out!
Old May 1, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas

As a bonus you get the 2010 Thales IFE, no ghetto 777 to ATH! Enjoy the flight, I hope IFE is not blocked out!
Given they actively use the licensing excuse on the MAD route, one would be more confident betting the IFE will also be blacked out on this turn too unfortunately.
Old May 1, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by obduro
Given they actively use the licensing excuse on the MAD route, one would be more confident betting the IFE will also be blacked out on this turn too unfortunately.
But Athens is one of the few EU with licencing for IFE.

Last edited by shefgab; May 1, 2017 at 12:37 pm
Old May 1, 2017, 12:29 pm

Yes, I was going to say: when I've had long or midhaul from Athens, it was the full IFE show. Mid haul A321 are fantastic on this route.
Old May 1, 2017, 3:45 pm

Based on recent threads here, the answer is only if it's your birthday, you have a terminal illness or you're getting married.
Old May 2, 2017, 12:37 am
Original Poster

Yep, full IFE was available for me, including noise cancelling headphones.

And on board, there were indeed lots of people already assigned to the F cabin, so must have been Golds I assume... Great flight anyway, apart from priority boarding at ATH, which was a complete shambles.
Old May 2, 2017, 12:42 am

And on board, there were indeed lots of people already assigned to the F cabin, so must have been Golds I assume... Great flight anyway, apart from priority boarding at ATH, which was a complete shambles.
Yes, the combination of the gate layout and a busy flight wouldn't have made PB much fun. Best to stay in the lounge and saunter on with an apologetic smile when the exuberant turnaround manager is waving his arms all over the place. I'm glad you had a good flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.