Programs: Starbucks Gold
Got stung..strange fare anomaly!

Last month the wife booked with AA/BA

29/3 Dub-Lhr-Hel (BA)
30/3 Hel-Man (AY)
30/3 Ord-Mco (AA)

Then..

8/4 Mco-Phl-Lhr-Dub

The AA itinerary clearly stated that the outbound Man flight was via Ord..which it was. (Thought the J seats on AA 767 were cr@p).

After we got home it turns out that AA market (reasons unknown) this flight as Man-Mco (which is isn't) with a stopover in Ord. Clear security, go through TSA, Change Terminals, change planes etc. I've tried to claim 40 extra TP's for the flight down to Mco but BA is pretty much telling me to Bu@@er off. Twice! The flight numbers for both flights were the same, but it was clearly two different flights..even Ba's own itinerary in MMB for this flight gave the right amount of TP's (560).

Does BA have weird fares/multi sectors/multi flights that don't give you the extra TP's/Avios that I/we should look out for?
Old Apr 28, 2017, 7:32 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I suspect same flight numbers for MAN-ORD and on to MCO. It is in fact AA who are telling you to bugger off when the claim is submitted to them from BA. Unfortunately there are a number of these AA multi segment same flight numbers which still exist and you aren't not the first person to fall in to the trap - hopefully you will know for next time and keep an eye on flight numbers.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 7:36 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes, this does come up from time to time. As far as I can tell you're stuck on this one. It is one prime AA code to MCO and though it is different aircraft, different seats, different boarding passes, AA - who award the Tier Points - nevertheless treats it as one flight.

You're not the first, I doubt you'll be the last. It just requires you to check the AA flight numbers and if they are the same you need to shuffle things around. Or even have 24 hours in ORD and go on the same service, that would give the extra TPs.

Watch out for AA's Heathrow service to Salt Lake City and Honolulu. No, there are no such flights, but there are in the splendid imagination of AA.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Is it worth bugging AA and complaining about this..or should I just accept it?
Old Apr 28, 2017, 8:02 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by jock
See posts 2 and 3.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by jock
as per the answers already given - this is how AA treat these connections...at a guess you were connecting from AA55 MAN-ORD to AA55 ORD-MCO...this is treated as one AA55 flight from MAN-MCO
Old Apr 28, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
Same as the infamous AA101 to CLT via JFK - watch out for aircraft type CHG when booking!!
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Direct flights (single flight numbers with a connection) only earn avios and tier points based upon the beginning and end cities. This is how it credits with Advantage also. You won't get AA to change their mind. See also this thread and others linked within:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...g-flights.html
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:25 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hyatt, Marriot, HHonors
If the MAN-MCO is shown on you ticket, then that is what you get.

Similar to BA15/16 to/from SYD via SIN. You come off the Aircraft and reboard again.

Only difference is with USA, you have to clear Customs at first point of Entry.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
A direct but not non-stop flight counts as one flight for the purpose of TP credit. You are, to use a technical term, SOL.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Starbucks Gold,
MAN-PHL-LAS is also one of these with 1 flight number but 2 separate flights (AA735). However, it has TWO BA codeshare numbers (BA1600 and BA6717) so whilst it will not help retrospectively in this situation, booking with BA codes would net the desired (logical) credit.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by stifle
A direct but not non-stop flight counts as one flight for the purpose of TP credit. You are, to use a technical term, SOL.
But by definition this isn't a direct flight, as you change aircrafts.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Gshumway
But by definition this isn't a direct flight, as you change aircrafts.
That doesn't mean it can't be a direct flight. Direct flights just have a single flight number and include intermediate stops and can include a change of plane.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
That doesn't mean it can't be a direct flight. Direct flights just have a single flight number and include intermediate stops and can include a change of plane.
Moreover if the first leg is delayed then they may dispatch the second leg without waiting for people to connect, thus exposing the falsity of it! At least you would then get the extra TPS.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Thxs everyone...luckily we didnt really need the tps..but had i known this..i would have gone a different route rather than connect through Manchester...plus got extra tps..u live and learn eh?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.