Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US may extend laptop ban to UK flights

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2017, 1:10 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
Originally Posted by florens
Yeh, I read that too. It might also be Europe-wide and not limited to the UK only.
But we are leaving Europe and are different
Old May 11, 2017, 1:17 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by jahason
But we are leaving Europe and are different
We are not leaving Europe unless we are flying into space. We are leaving the European Union.
Old May 11, 2017, 1:21 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
This would in effect kill off the leftover cross atlantic flights, which previously haven't been put off by the lack of sales, low currency or "targetted by trump administration". Ie: business.

Personally I've one leisure flight left on VS to the US, I don't take a laptop or netbook anymore, but my backup IFE of 7" tablet would probably end up going in the hold.

On positive side, in all the 20 odd recent BA flights, the IFE has not failed. Though the 747 UD screen had to be jammed into place with a bit of cardboard to keep it in place.
Old May 11, 2017, 1:25 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Since I fly a lot Europe - USA, this will be very inconvenient for me. I'll have to route via Canada or figure out something with the laptop.
I got a flight UK to BOS in a few weeks. I wonder how BA will handle this.
Old May 11, 2017, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Quarky Quark
I'm not loving the safety implications of this. First off, it seems likely that an explosive device could still be triggered remotely when in the cargo hold.

Further, incidents of laptop fires and so on would now occur in the cargo hold rather than the cabin.
The FAA issued a warning recently on not transporting lithium batteries in checked baggage.
https://www.faa.gov/other_visit/avia.../safo15010.pdf
Agreed. On balance, I believe this gesticulating ban will make air travel marginally less safe rather than marginally safer whilst inconveniencing passengers further.

Given pre-clearance, I wonder if CWLCY and pre-cleared EI flights will be exempt? This would give them an interesting advantage.
Old May 11, 2017, 1:34 am

Programs: BA Gold; MB Ti; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; RR Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Agreed. On balance, I believe this gesticulating ban will make air travel marginally less safe rather than marginally safer whilst inconveniencing passengers further.

Given pre-clearance, I wonder if CWLCY and pre-cleared EI flights will be exempt? This would give them an interesting advantage.
There's no exemption for pre-clearance flights from AUH. Other than the ME3 element, why would the Irish pre-cleared flights be treated differently?
Old May 11, 2017, 1:52 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
For the majority of you who haven't been on a no-laptop flight yet, I bring the bad news that the real issue isn't that there are no electronics on board (incl. Kindles), but that boarding takes significantly longer.

Each person is patted down and their bags extensively searched (currently in the air bridge) which results in boarding being more like 2 hours instead of 30min and leads to well over an hour standing in a queue. Either this process will need to be completely re-engineered, or flying to the US is about to become a very different experience.
Old May 11, 2017, 1:59 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
If the ban is being extended to cover Europe, which has probably the world's tightest departure security outside of Israel, then, for all the overblown talk of Trump tilting the playing field in favour of US carriers, something real and very serious is clearly afoot

I asked myself:

Will it kill me if I can't work for a few hours on the plane ?
No.

Will it kill me to cart an armful of dead tree reading matter onboard ?
No.

Will it kill me if someone blows a hole in my aircraft at 35000 feet ?
Probably

So, on balance, I will put my faith in the good guys behind the scenes doing the right thing to ensure we all get safely there and home again...

P.S.

I also foresee strong growth in a couple of business areas, as follows:

(a) In-country tablet / laptop / workstation rental

(b) Small footprint bootable external hard drive with secure operating system and your data on it

With a combination of (a) and (b) I could probably fly with no other equipment at all and still do 98% of my current job...
Old May 11, 2017, 2:02 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
For the majority of you who haven't been on a no-laptop flight yet, I bring the bad news that the real issue isn't that there are no electronics on board (incl. Kindles), but that boarding takes significantly longer.

Each person is patted down and their bags extensively searched (currently in the air bridge) which results in boarding being more like 2 hours instead of 30min and leads to well over an hour standing in a queue. Either this process will need to be completely re-engineered, or flying to the US is about to become a very different experience.
Which airport are you departing from?

I flew from IST to LHR recently and the gate security took no more than 15 minutes. I really did not feel any real inconvenience.
Old May 11, 2017, 2:07 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
My Father is involved in the Consumer Electronics industry.

He has just finalised a major agreement with a well recognised brand, for a number of different sized laptop cases - far more heavy duty than the 'onboard' type ones.

Said Electronics Brand, is working with a number of airlines to provide these to their customers, in preparation for a major shift in travel norms.

Time will tell, but at least the prep work has been done!

M
Old May 11, 2017, 2:14 am

deleted

Last edited by markle; May 25, 2023 at 7:25 am
Old May 11, 2017, 2:24 am

Programs: BAEC: BRONZE (Basic member: KLM, Emirates, United)
I don't see this happening. No chance.
Regardless of security I don't see it happening politically. Trump and May are pals.

Politics > Security.
Old May 11, 2017, 2:26 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Fitch
... So, on balance, I will put my faith in the good guys behind the scenes doing the right thing to ensure we all get safely there and home again ...
Or, to take a more cynical view, perhaps we are to be the victims of Donald Trump's 'alternative facts', or his 'putting America first' mantra to deflect attention away from his recent firing of the Director of the FBI?
Old May 11, 2017, 2:27 am

Programs: BA Gold; MB Ti; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; RR Gold
Originally Posted by markle
That being said, the probability of the last one occurring is thankfully vanishingly small. IATA forecasts 3.8 billion passenger journeys this year. You're more likely to be hit by a bus whilst crossing the road than die in a terror attack on a plane.

This seems to be an overreaction that is massively detrimental to the 334M passengers that fly between the EU and US each year - an intelligence-based approach targeting specific individuals would seem to be a much more pragmatic approach, rather than a 'brute force' ban.
To be fair it is vastly more likely that we'll see a cargo fire as a result of this, no doubt to be initially blamed on a terror attack, but which later turns out to have been from a crushed Li-Ion battery. As a matter of reference the FAA recorded some 33 inflight incidents of Li-Ion battery fires/smoke in 2016, and they're just what was reported.

Then add to this the fact that in testing the cargo hold fire suppressant system is proven to be ineffective against a self-oxidizing fire, such as a Li-Ion thermal runaway.
Old May 11, 2017, 2:36 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Fitch, I think there is a danger of a a fire in the hold due to a poor quality or damaged battery and that is also a significant danger.

The far far bigger danger is myopia on this. If we can't detected a bomb in a laptop it is quite probable that there are many things they can't detect. Banning electronics does not change that our equipment can not keep us safe?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.