Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA car hire - can I add 2nd driver who is not present?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2017, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

Flygoddess has hired a car at Denver for a few weeks through BA Avis.

As BAEC members, we get a second driver free, but....

I won't be joining her until the second week.

Can she put me on the paperwork if she has my licence etc with her, or would we have to revisit the office when she collects me?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 4:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Never hired a car in the US before but I have done so with Avis in Sweden and I was able to add a second driver over email - all they needed was a scan of the second driver's driving licence. So I should imagine it will be fine ...
Old Apr 24, 2017, 4:50 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
In my experience (and I add second drivers a fair bit - all in the US), the extra driver must be there in person. For some companies (Budget definitely, Thrifty, probably others), the additional driver has to sign as well. National let me add a second driver online with license number, expiry etc. and no signature was required at pickup.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 4:55 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR
I've hired through BA Avis in the US with my wife as an extra driver several times, and IIRC they've never needed to see her license or have her sign any paperwork.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 5:22 pm
K&C

Programs: BAEC Gold
Another experience into the pot but not giving the OP any definite answers sorry,
I've picked up the car (in the US) and been able to add my husband (with copies of his driving license ) to the rental agreement but they have insisted that he goes into a local office to officially sign the rental agreement when he arrived a few days later.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 5:42 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
And if you have to it won't be that specific office you have to revisit, any Avis office will do it so just pick the closest
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:04 pm
JTK

Programs: AAdvantage EP
This is the Hertz policy from their website

How would I add an additional driver if I have a Domestic Partner?
If the person to be added on is your spouse, domestic partner (a partner of the same or opposite sex (not a relative) who permanently resides at the same address as renter, as validated by the address on the driver's license), or coworker, they are considered authorized operators (if the renter is a Gold Plus Rewards Member) and can operate the Hertz car without being added on. However, if they are not your spouse, domestic partner or coworker, you and the additional driver will need to go to any Hertz location to sign an Additional Authorized Operator (AAO) form to legally operate the Car. There is an additional fee for each Additional Authorized Operator (AAO). Click here for AAO fee information.

Typically, although I have not checked, these policies are similar across all the rental companies in the US.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:11 pm
JTK

Programs: AAdvantage EP
Found Avis policy - was a little more difficult

Additional Driver

Additional driver fees will not be reflected in your estimated total when you book your reservation in advance. They will be calculated at the rental counter when the vehicle is picked up.

The following individuals, if 25 years of age or older and in possession of a valid driver's license, may drive the car with the renter's prior permission and are exempt from Additional Driver fees:

Renter's employer (while on company business);
Renter's fellow employee (while on company business
Renter's spouse or life partner.
Disabled renters who have completed the non-licensed renter form
A maximum of 2 additional drivers can complete an additional driver form* for a rental. To save time, you can print out this form, complete and bring it with you to the counter. Additional drivers who can drive the vehicle with the renter's permission (see Exceptions above) are not included in this requirement.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VX Gold
Spouses are treated differently from other additional drivers. As noted above in the US it's automatic that they are entitled to drive at no additional cost, certainly with Avis, not sure about others. You are responsible for ensuring that they are in compliance with other terms (valid license, over 25 etc), but I've never needed to show the license to prove that.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 11:15 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
BA bookings in Las Vegas and Phoenix never needed the additional licence despite being offered it.

Reykjavik took full details of the licence despite my girlfriend not being present.

Not consistent internationally. You might be best contacting the individual Avis office directly, stressing that it's a BA booking with free additional driver.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 11:28 pm

AVIS in the US covers your spouse automatically . as JTK says. You do not need the BA exec club additional driver (which can be used for another non spouse or partner).

The spouse does not need to be present and they do not need to see their license, but as long as it is valid they can drive the rental. I have tried on numerous occasions to get my wife's details added to the rental agreement and they always say no need it is automatic. We use the additional BA exec driver for the daughter to be included.

If not married and a partner, they stress the partner must live at the same address and again the partner details are not required. In this case I would assume the partners license must have the same address as the renter to be on the safe size.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:55 am
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
We have done this exact same thing twice in the Boston area. The second driver has needed to come to a Avis office (not necessarily the original rental location) to be added. Once it involved signing a printed document, once not.

Personally, I would not risk driving a car in the US without knowing that all the details were correct.

Slightly OT, we used a BA Avis rental in California because of the free extra driver feature, even though it was more expensive than other companies. We need not have bothered, as spouse/partner are included free in all CA rentals; this may also be the case in some other states. It was a doubly disappointing experience with Avis as the Mustang convertible had a speed limiter installed - it was like driving a Prius.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
You will often be asked to have the second person present but it's still worth trying, particularly if it's your wife you're adding (or vice versa) because in the US they often have 'odd' allowances for adding a spouse to insurance for free/automatically.

Even if they do insist that you're both present, you can just pop into any nearby office and do it very quickly - I've carried out this very process when in Florida after having met up with my girlfriend who was already there.

You could also try sending your driving license along with your other half when she picks up the rental, because I think they only want it as proof that you have a valid license, and so this would prove out the fact that you're eligible to be added to the rental, even though you're not there (if that makes sense).
Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:43 am

Programs: GGL
Originally Posted by JTK
Found Avis policy - was a little more difficult

Additional Driver

Additional driver fees will not be reflected in your estimated total when you book your reservation in advance. They will be calculated at the rental counter when the vehicle is picked up.

The following individuals, if 25 years of age or older and in possession of a valid driver's license, may drive the car with the renter's prior permission and are exempt from Additional Driver fees:

Renter's employer (while on company business);
Renter's fellow employee (while on company business
Renter's spouse or life partner.
Disabled renters who have completed the non-licensed renter form
A maximum of 2 additional drivers can complete an additional driver form* for a rental. To save time, you can print out this form, complete and bring it with you to the counter. Additional drivers who can drive the vehicle with the renter's permission (see Exceptions above) are not included in this requirement.
If making use of such a provision, it is worth checking your insurance does not specify "named drivers".
Old Apr 25, 2017, 6:10 am

Programs: BAEC GOLD, Star Alliance, HH Gold
Just returned from a trip using BA car hire with Avis in California and Florida. Both occasions Avis weren't interested in the 2nd driver details at all, and it wouldn't have mattered if I hadn't been there.
Never rented in Colorado so don't know if they have different rules

This is copied from the bottom of the Avis information on the BA page.

British Airways Executive Club and Iberia Plus members receive 1 free additional driver per rental. Executive Club/Iberia Plus card number must be added at time of booking and card shown at the depot. Additional driver details do not need to be entered as part of your booking. Additional driver does not have to be an Executive Club or Iberia Plus member and the driver details are advised directly to Avis at the depot where they must present a full driving licence and credit card in their name. Age restrictions may apply, for more information, please contact us. Non-Executive Club and non-Iberia Plus members are charged for additional drivers at the depot.

We even got a surprise bonus, additional avios points from Avis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.