Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Giveth and then Promptly Taketh...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2017, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Avis President
Angry BA Giveth and then Promptly Taketh...

Just tried the new entrance to the F lounge at LHR...and hell yes, what an improvement...!! Finally a benefit worth 1500 tier points.

At least security procedures are performed in a slightly more private and congenial setting with no more trekking down and up escalators as part of a tour of T5's shopping that getting to the lounge previously involved...

But then reality hits...the catering on the Club Europe cabin to Basel was truly awful. Why am I chucking my Avios at this...??

Two nasty finger sandwiches and a piece of rye bread with an unidentified substance smeared on top. OK I'll live with it because what I'm really after is the scone, jam and clotted cream. No...!! It's been replaced with a spongy something or other masquerading as a scone...

One step too far BA...as I used to love shovelling the cream and jam on top of the scone and then attempt to stuff the resulting edifice into my cakehole without it self destructing into my lap...!!

Bottom line...face facts and just travel in Economy around Europe...Chris
CaroFos likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Chris_G
Just tried the new entrance to the F lounge at LHR...and hell yes, what an improvement...!! Finally a benefit worth 1500 tier points.

At least security procedures are performed in a slightly more private and congenial setting with no more trekking down and up escalators as part of a tour of T5's shopping that getting to the lounge previously involved...

But then reality hits...the catering on the Club Europe cabin to Basel was truly awful. Why am I chucking my Avios at this...??

Two nasty finger sandwiches and a piece of rye bread with an unidentified substance smeared on top. OK I'll live with it because what I'm really after is the scone, jam and clotted cream. No...!! It's been replaced with a spongy something or other masquerading as a scone...

One step too far BA...as I used to love shovelling the cream and jam on top of the scone and then attempt to stuff the resulting edifice into my cakehole without it self destructing into my lap...!!

Chris,

Welcome to the "wouldn't spend a penny on CE if it was on fire" club We are legion
Old Apr 23, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Agree 100%. CE is just not a premium service anymore, it is worse than a lot of other airline's Y service.
orlando flyer likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 12:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
It continues to amaze me that European airlines get away with charging substantially more for "business" class seats that are in reality economy seats.

Old Apr 23, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
I dread to think why this enhancement has done to the profit margins at Roddas

cs
CaroFos likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: KLM Flying Blue Platinum for Life.. BA Gold , oh and some other shiny bits of plastic ...
And at Island Bakery
CaroFos likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
With all due respect Chris G ...... how have you managed to get as far as Gold and yet only just established that (once onboard, at least) there really is nothing* 'premium' about travelling CE .....

(*other than the cash / Avios cost of course.....)
Old Apr 23, 2017, 12:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by cornishsimon
I dread to think why this enhancement has done to the profit margins at Roddas

cs
I was contemplating that exact thought recently. What are the down the line impacts of a company such as BA changing their catering arrangement. I wonder what was the impact of BOB on Island Bakeries
Old Apr 23, 2017, 1:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by ILikePancakes
I was contemplating that exact thought recently. What are the down the line impacts of a company such as BA changing their catering arrangement. I wonder what was the impact of BOB on Island Bakeries

Quite !!!!

I can only imagine how much impact this has had for example on Roddas, I know that clotted cream is still on longhaul and I think some longer shorthaul routes but even so, that's heck of a drop in production for a company. However how much they actually make per pot sold to BA I wouldn't want to guess, but suspect it's very little. The big impact will be on jobs

Luckily for Roddas, Cornwall is currently very popular so I suspect they are doing well.

cs
Old Apr 23, 2017, 1:09 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), SPG (Lifetime Plat), Star Alliance, One World, Virgin (Gold)
The only added value of Club Europe

1. if you are seated in row 1

2. If you can get locker space above your seat to ensure a quick exit (check crew bags and then remove crew bags)

3. For (2) above, you need to be able to board first. Problem is that priority is now given to passengers with hand baggage only fares, who offer to five up one of their bags at the gate to be checked in...
Old Apr 23, 2017, 1:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by Premier Owl
The only added value of Club Europe

1. if you are seated in row 1

2. If you can get locker space above your seat to ensure a quick exit (check crew bags and then remove crew bags)

3. For (2) above, you need to be able to board first. Problem is that priority is now given to passengers with hand baggage only fares, who offer to five up one of their bags at the gate to be checked in...
And (4) you're chasing status
Old Apr 23, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum

I personally think CE represents fantastic value for money (in my case, my money not my employer's). However, I have always been critical of afternoon tea, believing a more substantial alternative should be offered. If you enjoy or enjoyed the scones, you are in a very small minority.

As for the rest of the CE product, the comparison needs to be with real competitors, not those operating in markets where few ever purchase the product and your protectionist government will allow you to go bankrupt so you don't need to change your failed business model.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 1:23 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by FrancisA
I personally think CE represents fantastic value for money (in my case, my money not my employer's). However, I have always been critical of afternoon tea, believing a more substantial alternative should be offered. If you enjoy or enjoyed the scones, you are in a very small minority.
I go along with this. Moreover the new CE offering on each route, each band, is now well identified in the relevant FT thread, so maybe it's a case of being tactical about when and where you go in CE versus ET. Ideally BA will soon follow the money. I hope the OP fed their comments into the SCCM's iPad, there is a team monitoring this feed (as well as FT, or so I've been told).
Old Apr 23, 2017, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by cornishsimon
Quite !!!!

I can only imagine how much impact this has had for example on Roddas, I know that clotted cream is still on longhaul and I think some longer shorthaul routes but even so, that's heck of a drop in production for a company. However how much they actually make per pot sold to BA I wouldn't want to guess, but suspect it's very little. The big impact will be on jobs

Luckily for Roddas, Cornwall is currently very popular so I suspect they are doing well.

cs
Maybe, maybe not.

Roddas have other customers beyond BA. I enjoyed a nice cream scone on Emirates today.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by FrancisA
I personally think CE represents fantastic value for money (in my case, my money not my employer's).................

Well, there are some fantastic deals to be had at times, that's for sure.

I've been looking at my options for getting to a wedding I may wish to attend in Austria in early June. On my particular dates, a return in ET to Vienna is pricing up at £311.
BUT ...... for just £488 more, as the BA website helpfully suggests, I can upgrade to Club Europe - a positive bargain at only £799 for a 2 hour sector, for one pax. And food included

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.