Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AF Silver
Thanks to all the great information gained from this forum I have been able to secure First class seat out to Miami and back from JFK next year using the 241 voucher.

I had to wait a couple of days after T-355 for the return seats to show but was happy when they did and was straight on the phone and I was able to add the return seats to the outbound sectors already booked online with no problems at all.
KARFA and FeedbirdNiner like this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 4:06 am

Thank you for all your help and advice.

I’ve now got the black card so will hopefully get another companion voucher next year.

Would love to look at Barbados in December, that would be s dream I’m pretty open to places. Even maybe New a York for a Christmas break. Not sure what you mean about code sharing and BA metal.

What’s the best place to start looking at dates and places.

Old Jun 10, 2019, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by Thrifty Scotsman
Your domestic add on from Manchester to London is free.
How does this work, I always thought I would have to get my own transport down to London?
Old Jun 10, 2019, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Lenny80
How does this work, I always thought I would have to get my own transport down to London?
If there's award space for flights between Manchester and London, you just include that in your redemption.

Although if your long-haul flight is from Gatwick, then flying from Manchester to Heathrow and then having to transfer (at your own cost) to Gatwick may be more hassle than that is worth - you'd need to compare that to the alternatives for getting to Gatwick.
Blueboys999 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 7:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
I think I know the answer, but would like to see if anyone has any ideas. We're considering a trip to MCT later this year (ie well within 355 days). There is currently no availability for the outbound, but there is for BA LHR-DOH and QR DOH-MCT. Am I right in thinking that there's no way to get those on the same ticket if we use a 241, and also no way to get bags checked through?

I suspect we'll need a lengthy break in DOH, has anyone any other ideas?

Thanks

Last edited by omk298; Jun 10, 2019 at 8:57 am
Old Jun 10, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by Globaliser

Although if your long-haul flight is from Gatwick, then flying from Manchester to Heathrow and then having to transfer (at your own cost) to Gatwick may be more hassle than that is worth - you'd need to compare that to the alternatives for getting to Gatwick.
Being MAN based, I second that and would add that, while the outbound is inconvenient, the inbound transfer is often the last thing you need after a long haul flight.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 8:14 am

Hi everyone,

I managed to book our outbound in First Class (LON - TYO) over the peak Cherry Blossom season in March/April next year but completely missed the T-355 for the return.

Is it at all likely we'll be able to get the return leg at some point, or should I give up and book a different destination? I had alerts setup with reward flight finder but didn't get an alert for seats on the return date we wanted

We're flying out on April 1st and hoping to spend around 2 weeks in Japan.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by ThePointsChaser
Hi everyone,

I managed to book our outbound in First Class (LON - TYO) over the peak Cherry Blossom season in March/April next year but completely missed the T-355 for the return.

Is it at all likely we'll be able to get the return leg at some point, or should I give up and book a different destination? I had alerts setup with reward flight finder but didn't get an alert for seats on the return date we wanted

We're flying out on April 1st and hoping to spend around 2 weeks in Japan.
Any ideas appreciated.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:38 am

Programs: HH Gold; BA Gold; Hertz PC
Any ideas appreciated.
A couple of options:
  • Is there WT/WTP availability? If so book that so you can get back and keep watching availability the £35 change fee isn't too bad.
  • If travelling in First is important then check out where in East Asia has availability and check out connecting flight availability and price between Tokyo and that location but don't book the connection yet. If availability appears from Tokyo you can always change to that flight.
More availability is pot luck I've been waiting 6 months for some extra availability on one trip and on another I managed to change from CW to First on both legs on one flight after about 3 months, so you never know.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: BA, Emirates, IHG, Accor, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by Lenny80

As others have said just add it on. Sheffield based and use this on all long haul redemptions via Heathrow. Although recently there appears (maybe just my perception) that the flights LHR to MAN are less frequent and can lead to a lengthy stopover at LHR - At least this was the case when booking a work trip to Hyderabad - routing back via Delhi instead as it is a lot quicker.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by kriscii
A couple of options:
  • Is there WT/WTP availability? If so book that so you can get back and keep watching availability the £35 change fee isn't too bad.
  • If travelling in First is important then check out where in East Asia has availability and check out connecting flight availability and price between Tokyo and that location but don't book the connection yet. If availability appears from Tokyo you can always change to that flight.
More availability is pot luck I've been waiting 6 months for some extra availability on one trip and on another I managed to change from CW to First on both legs on one flight after about 3 months, so you never know.
Thanks for the reply.

We're only interested in booking F - we have the Avios and really want to maximise our 2-4-1.

Have been checking Shanghai and Hong Kong availability but nothing there either. I guess my real question, for those that have a lot of experience booking these things, is if there is a good chance that F availability will eventually open up or if I'm wasting my time i.e. cancel and look for something else entirely, to use our 2-4-1 on.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 3:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Thanks for the reply.

We're only interested in booking F - we have the Avios and really want to maximise our 2-4-1.

Have been checking Shanghai and Hong Kong availability but nothing there either. I guess my real question, for those that have a lot of experience booking these things, is if there is a good chance that F availability will eventually open up or if I'm wasting my time i.e. cancel and look for something else entirely, to use our 2-4-1 on.
This doesn't help, but you really need to book at T-355 for these popular routes in F. I booked nearly the same dates as yourself, but was on the phone at 1am booking the return, there is plenty of availability due to F from both Narita and Haneda. Maybe wait until next year if your 2-4-1 doesn't expire?
Old Jun 23, 2019, 3:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
Thanks for the reply.

There's no guarantee any F seats will ever be released on a particular flight. They guarantee 2 CW seats per flight, but more than that is down to luck (or BA's algorithms!). I did the trip you have planned a couple of years ago - I checked almost every day for F to come up on either outbound or return and it never did - that was before BA Redemption Finder made it much easier.

I'd suggest you pay £3/month to BA Redemption Finder and set up alerts on flights from TYO, KIX, PVG, PEK, HKG, ICN, KUL, SIN and anywhere else I've missed. I would set up alerts for CW and F. 2 weeks in Japan would be more important to me than the difference between F and CW, and you're more likely to get CW availability. Maximise your date flexibility as well.

I would also book any availability you can see on the right date in any class from the nearest place to Japan, so that you can get home at least, in case nothing else shows up.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:11 am

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Originally Posted by stephenjc
This doesn't help, but you really need to book at T-355 for these popular routes in F. I booked nearly the same dates as yourself, but was on the phone at 1am booking the return, there is plenty of availability due to F from both Narita and Haneda. Maybe wait until next year if your 2-4-1 doesn't expire?
In hindsight I probably should have been on the phone but unfortunately I was out of the country when I needed to book the inbound. 2-4-1 expires before the following year too.

Originally Posted by omk298
I'd suggest you pay £3/month to BA Redemption Finder and set up alerts on flights from TYO, KIX, PVG, PEK, HKG, ICN, KUL, SIN and anywhere else I've missed.
I actually had already paid for the elite membership but didn't get an alert for the inbound flights.

Originally Posted by omk298
I would set up alerts for CW and F. 2 weeks in Japan would be more important to me than the difference between F and CW, and you're more likely to get CW availability. Maximise your date flexibility as well.
Willing to be flexible on dates but not on F/CW. IMHO, I don't really see the point in using a 2-4-1 on just CW if you have enough Avios for F.

As I wrote this, I checked again and managed to book our outbound to Tokyo in F on the 17th March and return from Shanghai in F on the 1st April, so still should get to see the cherry blossoms (fingers crossed). Good to hear some of the experiences, as it sounds like availability is unlikely to open up for the exact dates I want - luckily I managed to find a route available on alternative dates!
stephenjc likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: HH Gold; BA Gold; Hertz PC
Thanks for all the help and advice.

In hindsight I probably should have been on the phone but unfortunately I was out of the country when I needed to book the inbound. 2-4-1 expires before the following year too.
When I booked for cherry blossom a few years back I ended up booking from the back of a Taxi in the middle of nowhere in India at the 1am UK time! Told the agent to hold the tickets in case we got cut off but luckily completed before I lost signal.
Glad you got some tickets for alternative dates, as everyone has said you can't guarantee any tickets will come free, it depends on what mood revenue are in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.