Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2020, 10:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Tdgraves
I am about to get a refund for some cancelled flights. These were purchased in my last BA AMEX financial year. Will the refund reduce this years’ 241 qualifying spend?
If you have not got your 2-4-1 voucher yet, then yes.
Tdgraves likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 10:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Dselvan
If you have not got your 2-4-1 voucher yet, then yes.
thanks, I thought as much
Old Jul 22, 2020, 4:13 pm

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Dselvan
I remember that BA classifies a trip as leaving the UK and entering back. So you "trip" for your voucher will work for NQY - LHR - AMS - LHR or LHR - OTP - LHR - GLA but not both since that will be classified as two trips.
I can't remember where I read this but this was from a few years ago and I suspect BA would not have changed it.
T&Cs are:
All Companion Voucher bookings must originate and return to the UK.

I don’t see how the wacky routing suggested violates that rule. If it’s one booking and the same companion I’d read that as compliant.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 11:58 pm

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by memesweeper
T&Cs are:
All Companion Voucher bookings must originate and return to the UK.

I don’t see how the wacky routing suggested violates that rule. If it’s one booking and the same companion I’d read that as compliant.
There’s a vague rule that all rewards are subject to IATA fare construction rules. I expect BA will tell you that you can’t backtrack through LHR, but good luck.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by pauldb
There’s a vague rule that all rewards are subject to IATA fare construction rules. I expect BA will tell you that you can’t backtrack through LHR, but good luck.
Surely this would be end-on-end ticketing?

End-on-End Ticketing
Old Jul 23, 2020, 1:30 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pauldb
I have backtracked through LHR on a revenue booking so I don’t think it’s prohibited per se.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 1:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KARFA
I have backtracked through LHR on a revenue booking so I don’t think it’s prohibited per se.
Revenue ticket is not a problem since I have done that before. But for redemption, particularly for 2-4-1, BA only allows a UK to UK. Am not sure what the basis for this is since I did try to do a similar thing few years ago and was told that I can’t do it but I can’t find any T&Cs for it. I suppose it is to prevent people potentially abusing it like LHR-LAX-LHR-JFK-LHR with a single voucher rather than 2 vouchers!!!
Old Jul 31, 2020, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
No trick. This is policy since May. For coronavirus cancellations you can rebook for any date within ticket validity (up to a year from when originally booked) on the same route on BA. You do not need reward availability, any space in the cabin will be sufficient. This applies for reward and revenue bookings.
What if the companion voucher expires before ticket validity? Would this limit the rebooking date range?
Old Aug 3, 2020, 6:45 am

Request for help to check my understanding of process

Due to change in plans and coronavirus I have had to cancel a 241 booking for which I have now received all the required refund and avios. I am now going to rebook and I thought as I am actually out of my home address during the 355 day window for the outbound flight I would try to use the the online booking method. This is an open jaw flight that I believe meets the distance criteria, flight would be out to Vancouver in PE from Jersey and then back some weeks later from Tokyo in club. My intention was to do the following.

Book the Jersey Vancouver online using the 2 4 1 voucher. Then, when I get home ,and the 355 window opens up for Tokyo, I was again going to book Tokyo to Jersey online as the fees and charges are substantially less from this destination as a one-way booking. This would be of course using double avios points for the two passengers as it would not at that point be part of the 241 booking. I then understand that I can phone BA and ask them to put the two bookings together under the original 2 4 1 voucher and half the avios for the the Tokyo Jersey sectors will be refunded to me. Can someone please confirm that my understanding of all of the above is correct and then I will put the plan into motion at the appropriate time.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 9:04 am

Yes that's right - they will redeposit your Tokyo leg Avios and immediately re-debit one half (to take account of the companion voucher); you will end up with an itinerary on one booking reference but the outbound and inbound will be different ticket numbers
Old Aug 3, 2020, 9:26 am

Yes that's right - they will redeposit your Tokyo leg Avios and immediately re-debit one half (to take account of the companion voucher); you will end up with an itinerary on one booking reference but the outbound and inbound will be different ticket numbers.

Thanks GCIFlyer. That is comforting. I thought that is how the general information read.

I love repositioning cruises but the associated flights are always challenging.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 2:51 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
I was going to say that it wouldn't meet the open jaw criteria but it does, by 15 miles! Sorry it's off topic but I couldn't believe it when I checked gcmap!
Old Aug 3, 2020, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by GCIFlyer
Yes that's right - they will redeposit your Tokyo leg Avios and immediately re-debit one half (to take account of the companion voucher); you will end up with an itinerary on one booking reference but the outbound and inbound will be different ticket numbers
It is my experience that you will continue to have two booking references (one outbound and one inbound), but your voucher will be applied to both.
KARFA likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 12:43 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by alex67500
I was going to say that it wouldn't meet the open jaw criteria but it does, by 15 miles! Sorry it's off topic but I couldn't believe it when I checked gcmap!
There are a few bizarre Round the World open jaws possible. My favourite was LHR-SCL (Santiago Chile) / SYD-LHR.
alex67500 likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 1:56 am

Re open jaw

When I booked this originally for this year it was back from Narita and I voiced the mileage concern to the BA team when booking but was surprised when they intimated that the mileage calculation was not something they needed to factor.

That​ said when BA moved to Haneda and I knew I had to lift and shift to 2021 I did the calculation again for my own comfort and came to the same conclusion that it was close but still ok.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.