Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Lounge access 16 year old

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
To me, this is scary. When teens are traveling alone, they shouldn't be approaching random adults to ask for a favor. If they pick the wrong adult, bad things could happen.
My 17 y/o does CrossFit and has arms the size of my legs. I think the strangers pray he doesn't come and ask them for a favour as they'd be worried about saying no haha. Just jesting, but still, I think he's more than capable of handling himself and has been for a couple of years
Old Jun 12, 2019, 4:25 pm

I'm flying with my family in CW in a few week's time. Wondering if my 17 year old (8 days short of his 18th) can drink. I'm curious as to whether on the CW paper/Ipad they'll have a note he's 17, even though it's only a week.

Any ideas?
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:22 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by CarefreeBA
Bringing up this old thread. I’m 19, at JFK at the moment - denied access due to age and was offered a $19 voucher for use in the terminal.
$1 per year according to your age?
orbitmic and Maestro Ramen like this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by TTmex
I'm flying with my family in CW in a few week's time. Wondering if my 17 year old (8 days short of his 18th) can drink. I'm curious as to whether on the CW paper/Ipad they'll have a note he's 17, even though it's only a week.

Any ideas?
There's no note in the system stating his age so it shouldn't be a problem.

Crew will probably not have an issue as they never ask...
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by TTmex

Any ideas?
In the UK lounge and in the air no problem

If in the US lounge then likely no but it depends on which state you are in and if state law permits an <21 yr old to drink if with a parent / guardian and some do and some don't.

Should be no problem once in the air.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 7:26 pm

Cool, thanks for the replies. I'm not overly worried about it. It would just be having a beer or a glass of vino with dinner anyway then we'll be off to sleep as it's an 11pm departure. We've got a flight out of T3 about a week after his birthday, so we'll be paying the Cathay Lounge a visit.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 2:39 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, Hertz President's Club
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
$1 per year according to your age?
See I was thinking that myself. I ended up getting 18 donuts at Dunkin' Donuts for just under $19 which was a pain to carry around. (More for the novelty)

About 10-15mins after posting, I realised that a (21+) friend was at JFK. I 'guested' him and the lounge attendants were happy with it - seems to be a liability concern on BA's part here. I imagine the US are quite strict (?) on this part.
orbitmic, Geordie405 and argonath like this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by CarefreeBA
I imagine the US are quite strict (?) on this part.
Never had a problem accessing lounges in general when under 18 or if it's an open bar when under 21. Never had a problem with drinking on domestic flights either, so I think you just got unlucky.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Anecdotally, I am in my fifties, and look like it, but behave like a two year old. I have no problem getting into lounges or being served alcohol.
IAMORGAN, Scots_Al, dpfs and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Depends on the airport. Don't even think about it in the USA, the walls of civilisation will surely tumble. However at Kennedy T7 they may get a CCR invite instead. Other places may or may not be more relaxed about it, depending on the perceived maturity of the passenger.
I was trying to buy alcohol in ACK (Nantucket) and despite being forty with a beard they wanted to see ID. There wasn't a problem at the lounge in BOS even before I was 21 although at that stage I would normally have been travelling with my parents.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: BA
I'm quite enjoying this thread! To add an anecdote to the library, last year I was travelling with my dad in CW LHR - SYD and during the second leg of our trip (SIN - SYD) the stewardess came over and asked me if i would mind waking my husband to tell him put his seat belt on over his blanket. This was despite the fact that I look young for my age, my dad definitely looks like my dad, and the ipad thing clearly specifies our names (him a MR, me a MISS). I corrected the stewardess and she spent the next 9 hours apologizing,
Old Jun 13, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
The last time I was "carded" anywhere (I am just this side of fifty) was last summer at the Boston Admirals Club awaiting my AA departure. I still have no idea why the bartender asked -- maybe, with fancy Hollywood FX, I could pass for late 30s, but no way do I look 21.

Haven't been carded at a liquor store, restaurant, or bar for many years before (or since).
Old Jun 13, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, Hertz President's Club
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Never had a problem accessing lounges in general when under 18 or if it's an open bar when under 21. Never had a problem with drinking on domestic flights either, so I think you just got unlucky.
Never had a problem at LHR before, and the 'lounge dragon' at JFK seemed like she had read the BA/whatever rulebook from cover to cover.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by fastflyer
The last time I was "carded" anywhere (I am just this side of fifty) was last summer at the Boston Admirals Club awaiting my AA departure. I still have no idea why the bartender asked -- maybe, with fancy Hollywood FX, I could pass for late 30s, but no way do I look 21.

Haven't been carded at a liquor store, restaurant, or bar for many years before (or since).
This was mentioned on either the DL or AA boards recently where club bar tenders will card everyone even if they know you because it is state law to card and there are mystery shoppers who check that carding takes place and the bar tender could lose their job if they don't

And a few years ago I was in a the bar and my neighbour was carded (as I was) and jokingly asked if the bar tender would even card his own mother and the answer came back 'yes and she'd report me if I didn't'!
Old Jun 13, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
I recommend that kids travel with SWISS, where drinking age is 16.

Jokes asside, is this a problem anywhere else than the US and the UK? The extreme alcohol aversion never ceases to amaze me in those 2 countries. Considering binge drinking is rife, it doesn't seem to be a winning strategy.
djbenedict and dpfs like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.