Wiki Posts
Search

Feeding the Multitude

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2017, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Feeding the Multitude

SWMBO and I flew back from Aus on BA 190 yesterday in WTP. A very clean and new looking 789. Nice, friendly CC.
We were in WTP, which has 42 seats, and every seat was taken. WT also appeared to be full. Easter travel time!

The "dinner" for these 42 people was supposed to be either beef or pasta. The pasta was extremely plain, and once in its life it had a brief, passing contact with a few lost herbs, and some tomato, or tomato substitute, had drifted past it.

So to make sure that everyone had a choice, BA loaded 6 of the beef. Yup, you read it right, 6.

The beef would not have got beyond the front row, but 2 of the 7 people in that row had children's meals. Their mother, sat behind them, missed out on the beef. So did everyone in WTP, (but me). The beef was OK, not brilliant, but a million times better than the worst pasta dish I have ever seen.

The CC were very, very embarrassed. They asked people to complain, as there was nothing they could do. They made the point that unless paying customers complain, nothing would ever change, and it might get worse.

BA says of WTP that it provides "delicious meals". It adds that it is "Putting the premium in economy".

Yeah, right.

I wondered if this was an early step towards BoB for long haul.

The breakfast was inedible rubbish. But we knew that beforehand.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 7:54 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
That sounds rather poor. Does WTP no longer get a Club World main course?

Is the breakfast still the unappetising muffin?
Old Apr 19, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
SWMBO and I flew back from Aus on BA 190 yesterday in WTP. A very clean and new looking 789. Nice, friendly CC.
We were in WTP, which has 42 seats, and every seat was taken. WT also appeared to be full. Easter travel time!

The "dinner" for these 42 people was supposed to be either beef or pasta. The pasta was extremely plain, and once in its life it had a brief, passing contact with a few lost herbs, and some tomato, or tomato substitute, had drifted past it.

So to make sure that everyone had a choice, BA loaded 6 of the beef. Yup, you read it right, 6.

The beef would not have got beyond the front row, but 2 of the 7 people in that row had children's meals. Their mother, sat behind them, missed out on the beef. So did everyone in WTP, (but me). The beef was OK, not brilliant, but a million times better than the worst pasta dish I have ever seen.

The CC were very, very embarrassed. They asked people to complain, as there was nothing they could do. They made the point that unless paying customers complain, nothing would ever change, and it might get worse.

BA says of WTP that it provides "delicious meals". It adds that it is "Putting the premium in economy".

Yeah, right.

I wondered if this was an early step towards BoB for long haul.

The breakfast was inedible rubbish. But we knew that beforehand.
Did you complain? = ))
Old Apr 19, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Doesn't sound like a great meal and six paltry meals loaded? I do hope you followed up with a complaint. It's saying something when CC actively encourage you to do so.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 9:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
That sounds rather poor. Does WTP no longer get a Club World main course?
Did it ever?

I've flown WTP TATL 4x this year and it has always seemed to be the Y meal on a nicer plate.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
What's the bet that in a few months time...

Customers told us that they preferred to have a paid for choice actually edible food, that the revolting muck we served previously
Old Apr 19, 2017, 9:23 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by sbm12
Did it ever?

I've flown WTP TATL 4x this year and it has always seemed to be the Y meal on a nicer plate.
I'm not overly familiar with the WTP product, but IIRC a few years ago the catering was improved to include a choice of 2 main courses from the Club World menu. This was for the main meal lunch/dinner service. I am not aware of this being changed, although reading the OP and your experiences it looks like there may have been some changes.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 9:39 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes WTP catering is one CW dish and one alternative, both plated to WTP standards. I would speculate that the CW meal here was the beef, albeit very few were loaded here. My suspicion would be that there was a high number of WT to WTP involuntary OpUp.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 9:43 am
Original Poster

I did complain, and asked to see the CSM and asked him to log the complaint on his ipad, which he did.
However, we all know that I will receive a cut and paste reply. Others heard this discussion, but I did not see others complaining to the degree of asking the CSM to write it up. Maybe they did, maybe they did not.
As to Opups, clearly I do not know. However, there was little or no seat choice when I looked earlier in the holiday.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 9:45 am
Original Poster

The breakfast was a horrible muffin sort of thing, with a couple of prisoner of war camp dried biscuits. I didn't touch it.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes WTP catering is one CW dish and one alternative, both plated to WTP standards. I would speculate that the CW meal here was the beef, albeit very few were loaded here. My suspicion would be that there was a high number of WT to WTP involuntary OpUp.
So are both meals CW mains, or is it one CW meal and the alternative is not a CW meal?
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
That sounds awful.

And still BA won't care, as they have saved the shareholders £0.93 per pax.

What a shameful operation Cruz has created
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by T8191
...they have saved the shareholders £0.93 per pax.

(
More or less what the CSM said when I asked why no nuts, not even those tiny pretzel things, with drinks in WTP.

He got me a handful of packets from the other side of the curtain. I shared them with my row of nut-deprived fellow travellers.

It seems such a shame to spoil what could be a decent product by squeezing the pips out of it.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I believe that there are some small improvements coming to the WT plus offering, the simple reason why there was more pasta then beef is cost, BA are so cheap.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: BA Bronze
On my recent trip to NY (LHR-JFK) leg I was booked into WTP, had chosen a meal from the regular menu, got op-upped which did prove that the two mains offered were indeed on the CW menu.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.