Wiki Posts
Search

BA Avios Redemption on CX?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2017, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

BA Avios Redemption on CX?

Hey guys,

I'm looking at KUL to HKG return Avios redemptions on CX but noticed there is very limited availability for J class. Period: 1st week of Dec 2017

I believe this is quite a popular route, anyone know if more availability will open up? (If so, when?) or what I see now is pretty much all there is?

i.e.

1)Several shuttles from HKG to KUL daily but only the last flight at night has J class availability.
2)KUL to HKG has ZERO J class avaiilability

Cheers
Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:24 am

Programs: BA GGL
There's lots of availability on Malaysian direct and Cathay Dragon at all times of day from what I can see. Less if you're looking for a pair of tickets.

CX proper, however, there are some connecting routes via Bangkok or Changi, but it gets longer and pricier.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:33 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
It may well be worth calling in to check what's available. The website has been known to show incorrect availability for CX award availability.

S
Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Guys

I phoned BA and had another look. Plenty of Economy availability but not J Class

At least there are many departing from SIN though...
Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Keep checking. CX availability on the intra-Asia routes is quite dynamic.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Please note that CX will no longer serve KUL from May 1st this year. All will be handed over to KA.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
There's lots of availability on Malaysian direct and Cathay Dragon at all times of day from what I can see. Less if you're looking for a pair of tickets.

CX proper, however, there are some connecting routes via Bangkok or Changi, but it gets longer and pricier.
Just beware with MH - fuel surcharges on redemptions can be eyewatering - certainly many more times expensive than CX or KA

If KA is available in J then take that, given that CX no longer flies to KUL, so any availability will be codeshare or connecting. Downside is that KA will definitely be the CX regional business class seat - no long haul aircraft to substitute. Personally i don't think that's worth the premium to fly J (especially if you have status, CX/KA will look after you very nicely in Y), but YMMV
Old Apr 14, 2017, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
MH 72/73 should be an A333 for December 2017 (it's listed as B738 for now but I think that's just a placeholder). That's the only flat beds between KUL and HKG.

Also, MH doesn't have any YQ ex-KUL (and ex-HKG they are subjected to low YQ).
Old Apr 16, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Originally Posted by nov11
Also, MH doesn't have any YQ ex-KUL (and ex-HKG they are subjected to low YQ).
This may or may not be true, but redemption fees are still significantly higher on MH

KUL-HKG for a random Tuesday in July. Fees:
KA £19.70
MH £64.00

HKG-KUL fees:
KA £28.70
MH £78.70

No idea whether it's YQ or not, but no amount of satay is worth the extra £50, IMHO
Old Apr 16, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: TK*G
Originally Posted by kt74
This may or may not be true, but redemption fees are still significantly higher on MH

KA £19.70
MH £64.00

HKG-KUL fees:
KA £28.70
MH £78.70

No idea whether it's YQ or not, but no amount of satay is worth the extra £50, IMHO
As far as I remember, the YQ charge ex-HKG should be the same for both KA and MH since carriers cannot charge any fuel surcharge on flights departing from Hong Kong now.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by kt74

KA £19.70
MH £64.00

HKG-KUL fees:
KA £28.70
MH £78.70

Interesting. I was checking out ba.com and it appears that MH YQ is only applicable to F/J redemptions and not Y. But yes, you can gorge yourself on satay on the ground for £50.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Please note that BA/CX is blocking out CX/KA availability on some routes (sometimes) when its anywhere less than 10 days prior to departure. Its not consistent ie which routes... but this thread should explain a bit more on this.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...departure.html
Old Apr 17, 2017, 4:27 am

Ordering Cathay Pacific Flight via Avios

Hello,

I want to order a flight with Cathay Pacific with avios British Airways avios.

Do I have to order the flight via British Airways website, or via the Cathay Pacific website?

Thanks!
Old Apr 17, 2017, 4:28 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Welcome to FT.

If you want to book with avios you book with the BA website.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 4:33 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Welcome to FT.

If you want to book with avios you book with the BA website.
Thanks!

However, I can't see Cathay flights there, only BA flights. What am I missing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.