Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR T5 [Connection] fast track

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2017, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KLM/Air France Petroleum, BA Silber, Miles&More, PP Unlimited, Amex Plat
LHR T5 [Connection] fast track

Does anyone else suffer like I do when arriving in T5 and transferring to another flight.
Going through the Fast track to security simply isn't fast.
Its populated with uncoordinated people who clearly don't know where to go or how to pass through security quickly.
I'm often still in the cue while others at the check points further up have gone through.
Going to gamble next time and skip the fast track.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 7:32 pm
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
No suffering for me when using the T5 fast track.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA LTPlat, Marriott LTTitanium, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist
I've given up on transfers. Just clear immigration, exit and go to First Class check-in.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 9:08 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Up until 16:00 hrs, if you are eligible to the use e-gates then normally it is faster to transfer via landside, probably even more so now for Golds/Emeralds given that the First Wing is open. This isn't new but is probably even more acute now. For DUB-LHR services this applies across the board, it's best to go landside. Getting out of T5 is now super quick and knocks the socks off almost every other major airport.

The big problem with Flight Connection security is that those coming from the USA no longer have to remove liquids from bags in the States, plus people have acquired water and other liquids en route. Ditto from Asia. So a very high percentage of passengers need secondary security searches - it's over twice the percentage of domestic passengers. The signs are there, the verbal guidance is given, but it is widely ignored and slows things down for everyone. The clearest indication you can see of this is if standing by the CCR white door, looking northwards, you will see typically one or two people waiting at the end of security for the first half of security, and then can work out exactly where the Flight Connection folk end up, at the northern end, where there will be 4 to 6 passengers, mostly female, waiting for their bags to be rescanned at each line.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:17 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by 240dae
Does anyone else suffer like I do when arriving in T5 and transferring to another flight.
Going through the Fast track to security simply isn't fast.
Its populated with uncoordinated people who clearly don't know where to go or how to pass through security quickly.
I'm often still in the cue while others at the check points further up have gone through.
Going to gamble next time and skip the fast track.
Yes I think it is horrid - they don't police it - mixing Fast Track and non-Fast Track passengers. They open and close lanes at random. I usually immigrate now and use the new First Wing security lane.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 2:00 am

Programs: # Neodymium #
Fast track is a misnomer..
should just be called priority or status queue.
Sometimes it might be faster than other lanes, sometimes not.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 2:04 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Getting out of T5 is now super quick and knocks the socks off almost every other major airport.
I'd have to question that, courtesy of global entry I now, strangely, find US airports to be the easiest to get out of (plane>curb at JFK and LAX in <15 minutes, closer to 5 minutes at SJC and AUS...).

I'd also say that most European airports are quicker too (but courtesy of a lower volume of arrivals needing to go through passport control).

I know at Heathrow a large part of the time is distance related between gate and passport control but I don't regard it, even with the e-gates, as particularly efficient or quick at any time...
Old Apr 13, 2017, 3:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MILLEMIGLIA Freccia Alata, M&M Blue
I use transfer security only if connecting at B or C gates.
Transfer security at A gates even with Fast Track is such a nightmare. My experience has definitely improved in Heathrow since I applied the advice of CWS to immigrate and then use normal Fast Track.
Looking forward to try the First Wing soon.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: AA - EXP 1MM, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, BA, DL, TWA Royal Ambassador
We're arriving T3 on AA. Usually I just make the bus connection to T5 then mostly, but not always suffer through T5 FastTrack Security for all the reasons mentioned above.... I've actually ducked under the ropes and have walked further down to get into a faster line. This time we have a couple of hours between the AA arrival and BA departure. How long is the queue to get through Immigration? Is there a fast track for OW Emeralds? May grab a shower at the AA Arirval lounge.... What the best way to T5? We can check back in through FC being Emerald.... right? ....or should we just do the transfer bus? Thanks... Jon
Old Apr 28, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by MarJon
This time we have a couple of hours between the AA arrival and BA departure. How long is the queue to get through Immigration?
Depends on the time of arrival. Can be empty or absolutely packed.

What the best way to T5?
IMO Train or tube. Both are free between terminals (you need a contactless card or Oystercard for the free journey on the Tube).

We can check back in through FC being Emerald.... right?
On one ticket, you won't need to collect your bags and recheck them.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 12:27 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The new option you have as an Emerald is to take the bus / flight connections airside to T5, but then clear the UK Border there rather than T3, in order to use the First Wing. That will be faster than going landside from T3 and the security experience will be better than Flight Connections T5 security. In some ways it's better than Pre Check in terms of speed, though you do still have to separate out your hand luggage in the usual way. If you have e-gate access this is a no-brainer, unless connecting at T5 after 16:00 hrs, this will almost always be quicker and more pleasant. If you do not have e-gate access then it is more nuanced since if your final airport is outside UK and Ireland then you do go through an unnecessary passport check and its attendant queue to avoid a security check, and usually the security check will be quicker, despite all its issues. Non fast track is often quicker, if it is diverting passengers to South security, but you can't really control if you go North or South, that's decided for you. Fast Track is always North as far as I can tell.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: BA exec, HHonors Diamond
Up until 16:00 hrs, if you are eligible to the use e-gates then normally it is faster to transfer via landside, probably even more so now for Golds/Emeralds given that the First Wing is open. This isn't new but is probably even more acute now. For DUB-LHR services this applies across the board, it's best to go landside. Getting out of T5 is now super quick and knocks the socks off almost every other major airport..
^
Just done DUB - LHR today as CWS says - way quicker - no stress and into GF in no time.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Telecasterman
^
Just done DUB - LHR today as CWS says - way quicker - no stress and into GF in no time.
Good point. And indeed DUB-LHR should always go landside for T5 flights, rather than via Flight Connections, regardless, since there is no passport check if going landside, plus they get a quick pathway through the middle of the building. I wouldn't go the Flight Connection route unless going on to T2/T3/T4.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Apr 29, 2018 at 3:52 pm Reason: improve the wording
Old Apr 28, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 1MM, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, BA, DL, TWA Royal Ambassador
The new option you have as an Emerald is to take the bus / flight connections airside to T5, but then clear the UK Border there rather than T3, in order to use the First Wing.
Thanks Corporate-Wage-Slave….. I really like that the idea of doing the border at T5…. We arrive in T3 around 9:30AM and depart T5 around 2:30, giving us about 5 hours. If I remember border control is before security once you go up the escalator in T-5. What is e-gate access? Am I correct that I can use First Wing as an Emerald even though my BA seat location is Euro Cheap, back of the airbus, traveler Class?
Old Apr 28, 2018, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by WorldLux
Depends on the time of arrival. Can be empty or absolutely packed.
Thank you for responding WorldLux.... We are arriving at 9:30AM......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.