Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London to Muscat – First time in First

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: BAEC
I've been to Muscat recently with BA. I think others have covered the flight and airport experience pretty comprehensively but in case it's any use I can recommend a restaurant (Ubhar Bistro, easy walking distance from the Intercontinental) and a tour company if you want a day out of Muscat (Lifetime Tours: http://www.lifetime-tours.com/en/ - Mu'sab was my guide and was excellent).
Old Apr 11, 2017, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by JTXC
Lucky you going to Muscat. I loved it. Flying F will make it a nice start to the trip for sure. Is the new terminal finished yet?
They are reporting the terminal is virtually complete and should open this year. TBH I take that with a pinch of salt, work seems to have largely stopped and I know there have been problems with labour.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HK88NYC
Interested to read this thread as my wife and I are also heading to MCT in F (on a 241) at the end of the month. Some useful tips! D&C, which date are you flying, wonder if we're on the same flight (we're on the 28th)!?
We were originally looking to go on the 28th but are now going out on the 29th.
Hope you and your wife have a lovely time out there.

D&C
Old Apr 11, 2017, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HighlandPark
I've been to Muscat recently with BA. I think others have covered the flight and airport experience pretty comprehensively but in case it's any use I can recommend a restaurant (Ubhar Bistro, easy walking distance from the Intercontinental) and a tour company if you want a day out of Muscat (Lifetime Tours: http://www.lifetime-tours.com/en/ - Mu'sab was my guide and was excellent).
Thanks for the recommendations HighlandPark, I'll make sure to make a note of them.

D&C
Old Apr 12, 2017, 2:22 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
The new terminal didn't look at all finished to me; the external structure and cladding still looks incomplete. The current terminal works OK, at Omani official pace, at the time the BA flight leaves
It may not be very rapid but it's not stressed, pushy and crowded like some other airports (ahem Stansted ahem).

The shwarma and juice place (the one with the brighter lighting) outside the entrance to the Muttrah Souk is a bit tourist-priced but tasty (i.e., costs about as much as a bad kebab in London). There's a Persian restaurant called Persepolis in the Madinat al Qaboos area (also not far from the Intercontinental) which we also found good, even if it was bizarrely empty when we were there.

Do visit the Grand Mosque, it's one of the more approachable mosques (for the non-Arabic-reading non-Muslim) I have been in, as well as architecturally and decoratively impressive. Get there early (open 08:00-11:00 for tourism, tour buses start to clog it up from 09:30).
Old Apr 12, 2017, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flatlander
You can pay for the visa online - follow the interface at https://www.evisa.rop.gov.om/en/visa-eligibility and pay, and print off the resulting form. This avoids having to queue at the money exchange desks to pay.

Orderly queueing is not necessarily in evidence around the immigration desks, so you may have to manoeuvre yourself towards the side of the queue that is heading for the immigration desks rather than the exchange bureau. Make it clear (such as by holding it visibly) to anyone marshalling the queues that you have pre-paid the visa fee.

Being in F I assume you will be near the front getting off, I suggest trying lead the charge of the planeload of people at the immigration desks or it can be slow (half an hour).

Thanks flatlander,

Just in case anyone else is interested I applied for two visas online this morning, I recieved an email for reciept of payment at 09:32 and another email at 09:39 with the actual visas so a very quick turnaround.

The process itself was easy, I just needed to fill in a brief form with passport etc details and attach an electornic copy of the passports and a picture of each of us.

Hopefully this will save us a little bit of time after landing.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 7:05 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Just to add my greetings and welcome to you Dazed and Confused. Welcome to the forum and I hope you have a good time in Oman, a place which I've visited frequently, both Muscat and Salalah. Going First to MCT is a good idea, since it's a decent length daytime flight. Maybe not so great coming back due to the late departure time, but nevertheless one of the better routes for First travel, along with the North America West Coast routes.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: AA : BA
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Going First to MCT is a good idea, since it's a decent length daytime flight. Maybe not so great coming back due to the late departure time, but nevertheless one of the better routes for First travel,
It's t'other way round now that the flights are direct :
MCT-LHR is the day flight

(And much preferable now that the transit in AUH is avoided)
Old Apr 17, 2017, 3:05 pm

Going out to MCT, it is reasonable to eat after departure from LHR (if the service is fast), but one cannot have a leisurely meal and reasonable sleep in the time available. If the service is slow, it's both late to eat and early to wake on arrival and that is frustrating.

(Last time I went to MCT, in Club, from pushback it took 1 hour for drinks, 2 hours for starters, and over 3 hours for main meals - I gave up at the 3 hour mark, gave my tray back, and tried to sleep instead; I hope Dazed and Confused has a better service)

On the way back, it is a fine flight to enjoy all-day pampering in F.

Originally Posted by Dazed and Confused
Just in case anyone else is interested I applied for two visas online this morning, I recieved an email for reciept of payment at 09:32 and another email at 09:39 with the actual visas so a very quick turnaround.

The process itself was easy, I just needed to fill in a brief form with passport etc details and attach an electornic copy of the passports and a picture of each of us.
If you don't mind saying, can I ask if you are eligible for visa on arrival or if you have to get a visa before arrival? I was only trying to describe the process for paying the VoA fee before arrival; it had not occurred to me to get the actual visa before arrival. Did you get a 10-day tourist visa ("countries from List A") for R.O. 5 online? That sounds like a useful thing to do, if it lets one use the (short, from the look of it) queue for people with visas at MCT immigration.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:23 am
Original Poster

If you don't mind saying, can I ask if you are eligible for visa on arrival or if you have to get a visa before arrival? I was only trying to describe the process for paying the VoA fee before arrival; it had not occurred to me to get the actual visa before arrival. Did you get a 10-day tourist visa ("countries from List A") for R.O. 5 online? That sounds like a useful thing to do, if it lets one use the (short, from the look of it) queue for people with visas at MCT immigration.
Hi,

To answer you're questions, Yes we're both eligible for visas on arrival being from a country on list A and yes we got a 10-day tourist visa for 5 Oman Rial.

The email I received contained a PDF of the visa itself which is to be printed out and presented at immigration.

I'll post here if there are any issues using this method if it's useful for people.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 3:23 am

Thanks, I'm interested to know if that lets you avoid queueing up with all the others who are there for Visa on Arrival. If I can take 20-30 minutes off the airport waiting experience next time, I'll get brownie points from Ms F
Old Apr 18, 2017, 3:36 am

Programs: AA : BA
Thanks, I'm interested to know if that lets you avoid queueing up with all the others who are there for Visa on Arrival. If I can take 20-30 minutes off the airport waiting experience next time, I'll get brownie points from Ms F
It only saves visiting the payment process so you can go straight to the immigration line. Still worth doing IMO
Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by ratypus
on the return - it's a morning departure from Muscat, but do remember that First is "dine on demand" so if you feel like having breakfast in the lounge and then asking the crew to serve you a proper lunch later on in the flight, do just that
Just to manage the OP's expectations, bear in mind that MCT-LHR (BA80) is a breakfast service in First (so the main is the usual full english, or omelette, or sweet option), followed by afternoon tea (sandwiches and sweets). So, no "proper lunch" is available on the flight.

The gate operations and boarding are appalling lately. No fast track at the gate and only one agent. A good 20-minute queue to get past the gate desk and to the secondary security screening.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 5:00 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
I always thought you could only get the 30 day (OMR20) visa in advance. The OMR5 10 day one isn't available online?

Or am I looking in the wrong place?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 5:56 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by flying_pig
Just to manage the OP's expectations, bear in mind that MCT-LHR (BA80) is a breakfast service in First (so the main is the usual full english, or omelette, or sweet option), followed by afternoon tea (sandwiches and sweets). So, no "proper lunch" is available on the flight.
Has this changed lately?
When I last did BA80 in F on the 10th Jan there was no breakfast option but full lunch service.

The visa story may of changed - as I can see at evisa.rop.gov.om you can apply for the 30 day one online but the 10day one says apply at airport.
And yet in my email inbox from January is an email receipt for 5OMR

EDIT: Somethings definitely changed as you never used to have to register or have user accounts to use the service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.