Print Wikipost

Cape Town, RSA Do, 8-10 December 17

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2017, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Cape Town, RSA Do, 8-10 December 17

Hello All

I'm trying to arrange a do in CT for these dates, and I do have a few Ideas.

As many/most of you will have been there before...

I'm going to suggest some obvious ones, as well as some rather different options, but only once I've got an idea of how many people might be interested in attending!
Old Apr 9, 2017, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Well, we happen to arrive on the 10th ex-LGW ... so provided its not a late-night effort we might just totter along. Staying at the Southern Sun Cullinan.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 1:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Originally Posted by T8191
Well, we happen to arrive on the 10th ex-LGW ... so provided its not a late-night effort we might just totter along. Staying at the Southern Sun Cullinan.
That would indeed be fantastic to meet you!
Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

'Fantastic' is not the word I would use

Let's see how things evolve. As strangers in town, without a car, after a 12-hour overnight flight, we wouldn't want anything complicated! Without trying to hijack your event, would Stella at the Cullinan tick any boxes? Excellent tapas menu, plenty of outdoor space ... see the CPT TR in my signature
Old Apr 10, 2017, 11:38 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Yesssss , i know there are a few EK forum members based in Cape Town that sometimes dabble in comair's version of BA that might be interested. I will have to get the all clear from Mrs Flame3601 as i believe she has something planned during those dates
Old Apr 10, 2017, 12:41 pm

Excellent idea.
Mid Summer there in Dec and the V&A Waterfront an easy walk from the Cullinan and striking distance of half a dozen hotels around.
A sundowner picinic on Llandudno beach another option albeit would require a little more effort and likely be a little less convenient to the majority of those staying in hotels.
I was there last December at that time and may well be able to finagle a repeat although usually fly over a week or two later.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 12:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Originally Posted by radiata
Excellent idea.
Mid Summer there in Dec and the V&A Waterfront an easy walk from the Cullinan and striking distance of half a dozen hotels around.
A sundowner picinic on Llandudno beach another option albeit would require a little more effort and likely be a little less convenient to the majority of those staying in hotels.
I was there last December at that time and may well be able to finagle a repeat although usually fly over a week or two later.
Surely a braai... when in Rome. Sadly I will not be in Cape Town at that time.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Rubecula
Surely a braai... when in Rome. Sadly I will not be in Cape Town at that time.
"Picnic" rather than "picinic"...

As for a braai, I cannot recall seeing one when there last so perhaps open fires not permitted on that beach. Which, in light of the neighbourhood, would not surprise.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 6:44 am

Programs: EK Plat
Originally Posted by Flame3601
Yesssss , i know there are a few EK forum members based in Cape Town that sometimes dabble in comair's version of BA that might be interested. I will have to get the all clear from Mrs Flame3601 as i believe she has something planned during those dates
I confess to being one of the EK lot having defected from BA about 5 years ago! Sounds a fantastic idea and, depending on the date, count me in!
Old Nov 1, 2017, 4:50 am

Programs: Aeroplan, HHonors Diamond, BonVoy Gold, AAdvantage, IHG Priority Club, BA EC, AS MVP
Will be in CPT Dec 3 and in Boschenmeer Dec 4 - Feb 28. Love Mitchell's Pub at V&A and Millers Thumb. Not a long drive if it appeals to MsNo2rain. Please keep me informed.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 5:50 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Cris L
Hello All

I'm trying to arrange a do in CT for these dates, and I do have a few Ideas.

As many/most of you will have been there before...

I'm going to suggest some obvious ones, as well as some rather different options, but only once I've got an idea of how many people might be interested in attending!

I would love to attend, if this is going ahead? Happy to help with some of the organization too, as I'm Cape Town-based.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 5:58 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Seeing I missed the EK CPT do , I would really like to attend this event. I know I'm in PLZ for 3 days and get back on the 7th , if going ahead you can mark me as a firm maybe - just can't say yes yet until the date is set ...
Old Nov 1, 2017, 6:14 am

Be warned - it's the Rugby Sevens on the 9th so traffic will be difficult that day. Am still up for a meet as I'm sure are the EK members. Happy to help if I can. As I know Uncle T + 1 are smokers (as am I - quelle horreur!) and CT has become very PC, its difficult! One suggestion - upstairs at the Harbour House at the Waterfront. Great views, tapas style menu and good wine! Oh yes - and you can partake of a cigarette! Ok - you can now shout at me! But I scare easily!
Old Nov 1, 2017, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ha! We've caught the Sevens again! Our attendance will depend on how we feel on the 10th after our overnight flog from LGW. watching this space! The Cullinan has a regular Shuttle-bus run to the V&A, so anywhere there is an option for us [traffic permitting!].

I would also observe that the Cullinan has/had a decent-sized smoking area, with tables and chairs [and ashtrays] at the far end of the pool area ... and with waiter service from Stella!
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:49 am

Hi Uncle T - you might want to check that the Cullinan smoking area is still the same. So many places I used to frequent have now become non-smoking - even outside. Which my husband, who is a non-smoker, finds quite ridiculous. And be warned about the severe drought. We have very little water here. A number of hotels have removed bath plugs to encourage quick showers! And Cape Town itself is now having water outages. If it's not electricity it's water!!!!! But it's still a fabulous country! Would never think of moving back to the UK!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.