Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Exit Row - exclusions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Radisson VIP, Hertz Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by BLHD
Gold Card Privilege Willy Wanging from OP.
Brilliant
Old Apr 9, 2017, 12:09 pm

In my estimation, from traveling quite a bit both domestically and internationally, most people sitting in exit row seats are far from qualified to do what is necessary in the event of an emergency. If the selection was done realistically you would eliminate overweight people, people under 18 and over 55, and all women. You would also not allow any alcoholic drinks to be served to anyone in an exit row seat. In a real emergency you need people who are strong enough and alert enough to actually do what is necessary to make that row clear quickly and to assist passengers with exiting the plane. Unfortunately, airlines use these seats as a premium and give them away to people who have frequent flyer status and those who pay extra for the seat, with little to no oversight by the crew.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 12:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by floridastorm
If the selection was done realistically you would eliminate overweight people, people under 18 and over 55, and all women.
Do you really believe that no-one over the age of 55 is strong enough to open an emergency door? If so, I can only hope that you remember this when you reach that age and realise how very wrong you are.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 12:57 pm

I would also suggest that there are many women who could give the average man a run for his money.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 1:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
My dad is a pensioner and freakishly strong. I think he felt should have considered powerlifting as a career when he was younger 😂
Old Apr 9, 2017, 1:49 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
I would also suggest that there are many women who could give the average man a run for his money.
Personally, I would love to see an "overweight" rugby or hockey player in an exit row, too.

Heck, even me - overweight, over 55 and a woman. We don't all sit around doing needlepoint and being dainty.

However, I do agree on the alcohol part. Maybe no more than 1 or 2 alcoholic drinks, and definitely no sleeping tablets.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 7:08 pm

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
I resemble your comments about us Seniors.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 7:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If there's any question at all, if you need to ask, the person should never be seated in an exit row.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 8:33 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Deckard
A group of us are doing a short haul BA holiday - as lead booker I get to choose seats for everyone. One our party is registered disabled. He walks with a stick and will require assistance to the gate from the lounge. He is perfectly capable of walking short distances. If he is wheelchair transferred to the gate would it be considered unreasonable of me to book him an exit row seat?
Yes it would, in my view knowingly selfish and dangerous.

The true measure that airline crew usually follow to exclude fliers from exit rows is not the emotive "disabled" where fliers like you get to argue what is a disability ... but physically or mentally impaired whether lower or upper body.

Your party is not only physically impaired but registered disabled, you are not entitled to try and split hairs and argue, any disability precludes exit row seats

Of course the need to be mentally capable of both understanding/reading the Emeg exit card instructions and following basic orders in English or language of airline-carrier/crew is a given

Physically impaired covers what is needed, by excluding those appearing to crew as
o physically disabled
o inebriated
o infirm, elderly
o too young
o severely overweight/oersize passengers
o carrying obvious injuries that limit their mobility
o on medicines (I wouldn't want a diabetic in an exit row !)

Last edited by scubaccr; Apr 9, 2017 at 8:45 pm
Old Apr 10, 2017, 2:25 am

Quite a few years ago now, I worked as a check in agent, first for a handling agent, and laterly for BA. The rules on emergency exit row seating were very strict.

We were taught the acronym CODPIE to remind us which passengers were not permitted to occupy exit row seating.

Children
Obese
Disabled
Pregnant
Infants
Elderly

Anyone asking for an exit seat was asked if they were fully able bodied and willing to assist in an emergency.

I once had a gentleman who assured me that he was able bodied, however once on board he removed an artificial limb and placed it in the overhead locker. The cabin crew were shocked and reseated the passenger. I received a row from my superior for not having noticed the artificial limb.

Nowadays it is much more difficult with most people selecting, and often paying for, seating online.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 2:52 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold, TK Smiles and Miles, Hilton Honors
MMB doesn't allow it

My wife uses a wheelchair and once we request any disability assistance the Exit Row seats become unavailable when the Seating Plan comes up to book a seat. So I do not think it will be possible for you to book an Exit Row seat once you get to that stage.
Cheers
Steve
Old Apr 10, 2017, 2:55 am

Programs: BA Bronze
I consider myself quite able bodied, despite being female and over 55 by a few years.
I can guarantee that I would be just as effective (if not more so) than some males half my age.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 4:21 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I'm one of those who have had (several) goes at this at the Cabin Crew Training Centre at Cranebank, Heathrow. The doors weigh around 15 to 20 kgs but the weight isn't evenly distributed, so manipulating it isn't easy since gravity can pull it the wrong way. If you are able to handle a 20 kgs / 45 lbs sack of potatoes over your head you will be fine, but things like dodgy backs and lack of upper body strength would be unhelpful. It's more difficult than it looks.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

He is disabled plain and simple and cannot be in such a seat. I would strongly suggest that you do not try and game it, as most likely if he makes it on the flight he will be moved, and quite likely to a terrible seat.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
That's rather interesting... If you effectively need to lift 20kg above your head, that's going to rule a hell of a lot of people out.
​​​​​​the shoulder muscles are puny, and quite a few folk may struggle to shoulder press 10kg, let alone 20!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.