Wiki Posts
Search

Inter Terminal Transit and Immigration

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2017, 2:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: JetPrivilege
Inter Terminal Transit and Immigration

I am planning a trip from CMB - EDI via LHR . CMB - LHR on Srilankan and LHR- EDI on BA. My transit time in between flights is only 2 hours.I have a couple of queries :

1. What is best way to go from Terminal 3 to Terminal 5 and how much time it takes?
2. Will I have to do immigration at LHR or since both are part of OneWorld alliance will my baggage be tagged EDI and I just have to board flight from Terminal 5 ?
Old Apr 4, 2017, 2:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Are you on one ticket or two? If on one ticket your bags should get checked through. You can then use the airside bus to transit. The bus runs every 5 to10 minutes and takes 12 minutes.

​​​​​​​
Old Apr 4, 2017, 2:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
You will have to do immigration at heathrow. If you use the airside bus this can be done at flight connections in t5
Old Apr 4, 2017, 7:52 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
I am getting caught by new Cairo to UK , no onboard laptop/ipad/camera rules, booked before the new restriction
(Same PNR CAI-LHR-MIA-LAX-HNL-LAX-MIA-LHR-CAI)

(Depart 0800)CAI-> LHR (arrive T5 1210) -> (T3 Depart 1345) MIA (arrive 1815)

Absolutely no chance with 1hr 35min connection to retrieve suitcase at T5 to have laptop onboard for LHR-MIA leg.

Heck any delay to CAI-LHR arrival and I could end up misconnecting LHR-MIA and the 1345 LHR-MIA is last offering each day.

Even indirect routings BA/AA offer when you search don't leave after 1310 and my next MIA-LAX is 1245pm next day with LAX-HNL 1700pm also next day...

Trying to come up with a "plan B" to suggest in case I misconnect arriving from Cairo.
Thinking if I can not get to MIA in time with AA/BA for next days fight I can suggest direct LHR-LAX AA at 1505 or BA at 1610, and spend night in LAX instead of MIA and carry on with a protcted intinary thereafter ie LAX--HNL-LAX-MIA-LHR-CAI (and afterwards claim original routing redits for lost TPs/Avios)

Even if on time arrival from Cairo, busing T5->T3 + fasttrak security scan won't leave me any time to hit T3 lounge for drinks/snack before the Miami flight boarding commences

Last edited by scubaccr; Apr 4, 2017 at 8:00 am
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:40 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by nihit157
I am planning a trip from CMB - EDI via LHR . CMB - LHR on Srilankan and LHR- EDI on BA. My transit time in between flights is only 2 hours.I have a couple of queries :

1. What is best way to go from Terminal 3 to Terminal 5 and how much time it takes?
2. Will I have to do immigration at LHR or since both are part of OneWorld alliance will my baggage be tagged EDI and I just have to board flight from Terminal 5 ?
Immigration will be at LHR regardless.

If on one ticket your baggage will be checked through, take the flight connections bus from T3 to T5 and you will clear immigration/security at T5 flight connections.

If you are on separate tickets you will need to find out the policy of UL whether they will check baggage through on separate tickets. BA for example will not do so if your routing was reversed.

If your bags won't be checked through then you will need to go landside on arrival, clear immigration at T3, collect your luggage and transfer landside to T5 to checkin with BA. With only 2 hours to do so and checkin closing 1 hour before the flight for BA you have a very high risk of not making your BA flight.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Originally Posted by scubaccr
I am getting caught by new Cairo to UK , no onboard laptop/ipad/camera rules, booked before the new restriction
(Same PNR CAI-LHR-MIA-LAX-HNL-LAX-MIA-LHR-CAI)

(Depart 0800)CAI-> LHR (arrive T5 1210) -> (T3 Depart 1345) MIA (arrive 1815)

Absolutely no chance with 1hr 35min connection to retrieve suitcase at T5 to have laptop onboard for LHR-MIA leg.

Heck any delay to CAI-LHR arrival and I could end up misconnecting LHR-MIA and the 1345 LHR-MIA is last offering each day.

Even indirect routings BA/AA offer when you search don't leave after 1310 and my next MIA-LAX is 1245pm next day with LAX-HNL 1700pm also next day...

Trying to come up with a "plan B" to suggest in case I misconnect arriving from Cairo.
Thinking if I can not get to MIA in time with AA/BA for next days fight I can suggest direct LHR-LAX AA at 1505 or BA at 1610, and spend night in LAX instead of MIA and carry on with a protcted intinary thereafter ie LAX--HNL-LAX-MIA-LHR-CAI (and afterwards claim original routing redits for lost TPs/Avios)

Even if on time arrival from Cairo, busing T5->T3 + fasttrak security scan won't leave me any time to hit T3 lounge for drinks/snack before the Miami flight boarding commences
Is there anyone with first hand report of BA's handling on the laptop ban from CAI? All of the 3 ME airlines are doing some special handling on their flights to the US. Does BA have something similar in place?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.