Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Selecting seat when Silver - travelling when Blue

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2017, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver

Afternoon all!

I have tried doing a search on this within the forum, but cannot seem to find an answer, but am sure I have seen it discussed before. So if anyone can point me to a valid thread/post I would be most grateful, or equally if anyone can answer the question.

The other half is currently Silver, however, as from early July will be statusless. If he buys a seat now, as Silver, and books specific seats (upper deck A380 LHR-JNB-LHR), while still Silver, will those seat choices hold, or will they automatically cancel when he loses status?

Thanks!
Old Apr 1, 2017, 9:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Presumably they will go down to BA Bronze level? This give seat selection at 7 days.

Any free seat selection will probably be lost once Silver membership has lapsed (7 or so weeks after the membership qualification dates), though not if it is a paid seat. Some people have held on to their seats regardless, particularly if their flight was only a little after the date, but usually the Theoretical Seating takes the current membership status, unless the seat is paid for. Paid seats will be held.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the response. Does BA do a soft landing then? As he has earned no tier points this year at all, I assume it would be Silver to Blue.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 9:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by wijibintheair
Thank you for the response. Does BA do a soft landing then? As he has earned no tier points this year at all, I assume it would be Silver to Blue.
It should revert to BA Bronze, yes.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 10:32 am

From my own personal experience: seat selection is retained if you choose the seats before you lose your status. That being said, if there's an equipment change later on, you'll be re-allocated a seat and will be unable to change it without paying.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: BD Gold, BAEC Gold, Hilton HHonors
As C-W-S says you should go from Silver to Bronze.

In my experience of having gold-only seats booked (1A/K on 747) when mrs-so3003 temporarily dropped to Silver after seat booking, but before travelling, her 1K seat was moved elsewhere in the cabin on the day she became Silver.

Would be interested to hear what happens for you?
Old Apr 1, 2017, 12:22 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by markle
From my own personal experience: seat selection is retained if you choose the seats before you lose your status. That being said, if there's an equipment change later on, you'll be re-allocated a seat and will be unable to change it without paying.
Agreed, although it's a couple of years since I lost status, so things may have changed.

I booked some upper deck 747 seats for my final BA flight, and they stuck after I lost status.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 1:09 pm

Programs: BAEC - Blue :-(
I have very recent experience of this (i.e today!). Dropped from silver to bronze and have an upcoming flight from LHR-IAH return in just under 3 weeks. Outbound in CW (Aup'd from WTP) and return in WTP. I had selected seats for both while still silver and whilst the WTP bulkhead seat has gone my CW seat (10j) has stuck.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 2:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Radisson VIP, Hertz Gold, Accor Plat
think the others have covered the possibilities. I have had similar experiences with my seat reservations holding however if there is an equipment change you will miss out.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 2:57 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for the comments - much appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.