Why keep the Concorde Room anymore?

Reply

Old Mar 29, 17, 1:04 am
  #61
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5,069
It makes sense to keep it, it doesn't cost anything to do so. They can patch it up from time to time and it doesn't matter how rubbish it is as long as it's 'exclusive'. People will keep using it and keep appreciating it as there is nothing else on offer in T5 to show it up.

To bring it into the general F lounge would really require an investment and overhaul of the whole floor which seems to be against everything BA stands for right now.
1010101 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 17, 1:12 am
  #62
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,676
Originally Posted by dca100 View Post
All a matter of perspective and personal preference, but really other than at absolute peak times T5 GF is a very good lounge in my experience, and exclusivity aside not much of a downgrade from the CCR. Wine, champagne and spirits are always good-to-excellent. Food is now decent (although could of course be improved). I'm not sure I've ever not been able to find a seat, but maybe I've been lucky in that regard.

If they could sort out the temperature (always too hot) and install nicer toilets (the plastic cabins are no better than you'll find in a Travelodge room) it would be hard to fault imo.
I must live in a parallel universe to you. The food quality is poor at best, and the bathrooms are a disgrace.

Then again, I do get the pleasure of sampling the CX lounges at HKG relatively often, so my perspective is different.
rossmacd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 17, 1:24 am
  #63
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
Posts: 5,050
I said something about the CCR in the "new first wing" thread.

With the introduction of the first wing that lets GCHs etc. avoid the shops in order to get to the lounge, it doesn't make things quite as easier for those passengers actually travelling in F (depending on if the fast track lane remains).

Not sure if BA have ever considered this, but moving the CCR to T5B might be in some ways a step in a different direction.
Since pretty much all long haul flights with F cabins leave from T5B or T5C, converting the under-utilised T5B lounge into the CCR would then make that lounge far more exclusive.

It would mean slightly less travelling for F passengers to their flights (although still not the luxury limo transfers some would like).
It's got an elemis spa that would then become exclusive to BA first class passengers and probably far easier to book something on the day.
There's a kitchen although might need improved.

Sure it means that it makes it harder to use it when flying short haul but it may help reduce the numbers in there at certain times which will make things better for some.
Also no shops as such but the first wing entrance, in part, is designed to avoid those anyway.
xenole is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 17, 1:36 am
  #64
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere between 0 and 13,000 metres high
Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA CCR, A3 G, Aclub Plat, Hilton D, IC Plat Amb, Starwood G, blablablah, etc
Posts: 20,692
Originally Posted by xenole View Post
.
Since pretty much all long haul flights with F cabins leave from T5B or T5C, converting the under-utilised T5B lounge into the CCR would then make that lounge far more exclusive.

It would mean slightly less travelling for F passengers to their flights.
How so? Those departing from T5B would still need to go from T5A to T5B, just as they do now. Of course, they could do it at the start of their trip rather than the end and have marginally more time in the lounge than now but that's it.

Those departing from T5C would have a twice more inconvenient transfer. Instead of going from T5A to T5C, they would need to go from T5A to T5B to access the lounge, and then again from T5B to T5C to access their plane.

As for those departing from T5A, which has two long haul gates (one contact, one bus), instead of no transfer, they'd need to go from T5A to T5B, and then again from T5B back to T5A!

And then of course, there is the rest of us who transfer, accounting for more than half of F pax in case anyone forgets, which would be significantly inconvenienced by the move.

Overall, I do not think that this is a good idea.
orbitmic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 17, 1:46 am
  #65
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
Posts: 5,050
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
How so? Those departing from T5B would still need to go from T5A to T5B, just as they do now. Of course, they could do it at the start of their trip rather than the end and have marginally more time in the lounge than now but that's it.

Those departing from T5C would have a twice more inconvenient transfer. Instead of going from T5A to T5C, they would need to go from T5A to T5B to access the lounge, and then again from T5B to T5C to access their plane.

As for those departing from T5A, which has two long haul gates (one contact, one bus), instead of no transfer, they'd need to go from T5A to T5B, and then again from T5B back to T5A!

And then of course, there is the rest of us who transfer, accounting for more than half of F pax in case anyone forgets, which would be significantly inconvenienced by the move.

Overall, I do not think that this is a good idea.
I know it's flawed, but with BA's line of thinking, who knows if they want to reduce the number of premium passengers accessing it and direct them to GF instead?
xenole is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 17, 1:53 am
  #66
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere between 0 and 13,000 metres high
Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA CCR, A3 G, Aclub Plat, Hilton D, IC Plat Amb, Starwood G, blablablah, etc
Posts: 20,692
Originally Posted by xenole View Post
I know it's flawed, but with BA's line of thinking, who knows if they want to reduce the number of premium passengers accessing it and direct them to GF instead?
Quite likely indeed, but please don't give them further ideas on that!
orbitmic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 17, 1:57 am
  #67
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Fareham, UK
Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, EuroBonus Gold, SPG Plat,
Posts: 193
Originally Posted by rossmacd View Post
I must live in a parallel universe to you. The food quality is poor at best, and the bathrooms are a disgrace.

Then again, I do get the pleasure of sampling the CX lounges at HKG relatively often, so my perspective is different.

I must be in the other parallel universe as I too have the opportunity of sampling the CX lounges both in HKG and LHR and often wonder what it is that other people get that I don't as my experiences are so different. With the exception of the Pier I do not find that these lounges are any better than the CCR or GF in LHR; the Wing First, in my experience, is often horrendously crowded. They are however better than the Qantas lounge in HKG which, since it lost its First status and became a general OW lounge has, IMHO, really gone downhill.
philthegreek is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 17, 3:47 am
  #68
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Switzerland
Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, SPG Plat
Posts: 737
Originally Posted by xenole View Post
Not sure if BA have ever considered this, but moving the CCR to T5B might be in some ways a step in a different direction.
Since pretty much all long haul flights with F cabins leave from T5B or T5C, converting the under-utilised T5B lounge into the CCR would then make that lounge far more exclusive.
A genuinely interesting idea: somewhat similar to LX with their new ZRH F lounge in E where only long hauls depart (albeit the old F lounge in A is still there, too). A superb decision, resulting in a calm, quiet, truly premium lounge.
timol is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 17, 3:55 am
  #69
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: London
Programs: BA GGL & CCR, BA GfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Posts: 188
Moving the CCR to T5B is an interesting idea. While the majority of fights with F cabins do go from B & C gates, how would the T5B proposal be of benefit to (1) incoming pax connecting to European flights who are eligible to use the CCR and (2) CCR users not travelling in the F cabin and starting their journey at LHR. Doc Copper
DoctorCopper is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 17, 4:12 am
  #70
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,676
Originally Posted by philthegreek View Post
I must be in the other parallel universe as I too have the opportunity of sampling the CX lounges both in HKG and LHR and often wonder what it is that other people get that I don't as my experiences are so different. With the exception of the Pier I do not find that these lounges are any better than the CCR or GF in LHR; the Wing First, in my experience, is often horrendously crowded. They are however better than the Qantas lounge in HKG which, since it lost its First status and became a general OW lounge has, IMHO, really gone downhill.
Exactly, the HKG Pier F is in a different league to the BA GF at LHR.
rossmacd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 17, 4:18 am
  #71
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Switzerland
Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, SPG Plat
Posts: 737
Originally Posted by DoctorCopper View Post
Moving the CCR to T5B is an interesting idea. While the majority of fights with F cabins do go from B & C gates, how would the T5B proposal be of benefit to (1) incoming pax connecting to European flights who are eligible to use the CCR and (2) CCR users not travelling in the F cabin and starting their journey at LHR. Doc Copper
The solution beneficial to everyone (except the BA bean counters) would be, again following the LX ZRH model, to keep the T5A CCR, too.

A more realistic option could be a "for F pax only" section in the current T5B lounge, the focus being on its special, calm atmosphere.
timol is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 17, 5:52 am
  #72
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
Posts: 5,050
Originally Posted by timol View Post
The solution beneficial to everyone (except the BA bean counters) would be, again following the LX ZRH model, to keep the T5A CCR, too.

A more realistic option could be a "for F pax only" section in the current T5B lounge, the focus being on its special, calm atmosphere.
Perhaps but in my experience, I've only seen a dozen people tops in the B gate lounge so it seems to be overkill at present to split it.

BA could possibly look at cutting costs by dropping the CCR in T5A and moving it to T5B thus reducing things by one lounge. Then either leave entry as is or perhaps start restricting to only those on long haul flights that leave from T5B/C. Sure it will annoy those arriving on F flights etc. and connecting, but BA aren't exactly renowned for their love of status passengers these days.
With the Flounge technically being labelled as a first class lounge, I'm sure they wouldn't blink an eye and put spin on the news if connecting passengers had to go there.

It's also possible that HAL? could perhaps be looking at putting another paid-per-entry lounge in place of the CCR as some sort of compromise with BA for the first wing.
xenole is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 17, 5:59 am
  #73
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The Hague, NL
Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Posts: 22,847
I think that KLM proves that it is in no way necessary for a carrier to have a very good lounge offer at their home base, especially if there is little to no competition. I have always marvelled at the offerings OneWorld has across the globe and I do like the CCR.

Is there a business case? I wonder. If the CCR was no longer there I doubt many people would all of a sudden change carrier. Who would you change to? Much like KLM in NL, BA has a de facto monopoly as a global (direct) carrier ex LHR.
henkybaby is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 17, 6:13 am
  #74
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
Posts: 5,050
Well, from most of our observations, a lot of business and premium customers do like various perks of their ticket and/or status.
Lounge access for me is very useful and probably does encourage me to fly BA.

As for losing the CCR, it wouldn't discourage me and probably wouldn't discourage too many others, regardless of what is claimed on here, as we all know cabins are still fairly full even with enhancements and service nowhere close to other airlines.
xenole is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 17, 6:37 am
  #75
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: London
Posts: 1,442
If you think about the marginal cost to BA of providing the CCR as a separate lounge to GF, I assume it's not material. These are passengers that would otherwise be housed in the GF lounge anyway and it's not like the CCR has masses of staff swarming around while GF has none. I guess there's the additional cost of the premium drinks? What are the other material factors in the cost of the CCR compared to just making the space an enlarged GF lounge?

I also wonder about advertising revenue for the CCR. Anything will be particularly lucrative even compared to GF.

But otherwise it's not like it's something extra-special like its own terminal. Even the kitchen is shared with GF so the back-room production is the same.

With that in mind, and re my earlier comment - namely that the brand perception of BA and their First Class proposition overall is hugely important to them - I really can't see its demise coming any time soon.
London_traveller is offline  
Reply With Quote
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:30 am.

Home - News - Forum - Hotel Reviews - Glossary - Contact Us - Airport Code Lookup - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Cookie Policy - Advertise on FlyerTalk - Archive - Top

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by Flyertalk.com. Copyright 2017 FlyerTalk.com. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.