Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why keep the Concorde Room anymore?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Smid
Really? Just wondering. It is a valid point...

For QR J

Food is very good. Though a bit arabic meze based. But I did find it better than BA F.
Seat has aisle access (across the board).
Pyjamas
Slippers (think maybe only A380)
Probably a bigger IFE screen than BA F.
Service is very attentive (in both my champagne glass wasn't empty unless I asked it to stop being poured).
And the bar on the A380 was spectacular. Far less of a gimic than VS's bar.

Maybe I had a good set of flights (FRA-DOH-HKG (AKL on CX/QS to) SYD-DOH-FRA, but what I found different was the quality of the champagne. And lack of a CCR like lounge at home base, but to be fair it's J vs F. Was I just lucky?

Only flown BA F twice eastbound from West Coast US, and once westbound.

I get it when people compare AA J on 777W to BA F. It's just a decent seat.

But of course, not all people want to hop via the gulf...

(Quick edit to append) Ah yes, better than BA F. Ah I was reading is as near equivalent....
BA F isn't on par with many other F products. A recent trip involving EY F to AUH and BA F back from DOH a couple of days later clearly put that into sharp focus.

However, I do often wonder if I am flying on the same planes and in the same cabins as those who feel that QR J (or EK or EY J for that matter) is on par with BA F
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (thanks to BOB), UA, Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles, Amex BAPP & Platinum
Originally Posted by obduro
But haven't you heard? QR J is better than BA F...

*gets coat*
Well... I thought the CCR was fantastic until I went to the QR J lounge in T4.

Still, the CCR is the best in T5
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: BA Silver IHG Platinum Elite
The Concorde room is a delight and i have seen very few people complaining about it. One of the nicest parts is that is never crowded and aways found the service friendly and attentive. The F lounge in T5 is just a zoo full of frequent flyers - terrible place once you have used the CCR.

I have never flown on the ME3 as I would HATE To have my journey broken by a long stop at a shopping mall in the desert. The luxury is boarding at an airport near home and them disembarking at your destination - no end of bars in the aircraft can compete with that.

Long live the Concorde Room!
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I was about to say that it reminds people that BA and AF once were the carriers that operated the Concorde, which was the symbol of advanced aircraft technology and luxury in its day, but this might be a double edged sword if people also remember the fiery crash at CDG (which was an AF aircraft of course).
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by quakered
The Concorde room is a delight and i have seen very few people complaining about it. One of the nicest parts is that is never crowded and aways found the service friendly and attentive.
I think you need to read more of the FT threads discussing the CCR, then...

Definitely something BA should be keeping as long as they operate F, however.

Last edited by lost_in_translation; Mar 28, 2017 at 10:02 am
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by nwmgc

Well... I thought the CCR was fantastic until I went to the QR J lounge in T4.
This is best kept a secret. We wouldn't want too many CCR refugees clogging-up QR's T4 lounge, anymore than we would want those flying BA long haul non-stop eastbound to diminish the wonderful transfer experience that is DOH.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:31 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
... to diminish the wonderful transfer experience that is DOH.
Wonderful? Are there two DOH airports?
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:36 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
It is for the F passengers and GGL only.
F passengers and CCR / Premier card holders only. Only a percentage of GGLs are CCR card holders.

Last edited by golfmad; Mar 28, 2017 at 12:07 pm Reason: added 'Premier' for completeness
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:46 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Wonderful? Are there two DOH airports?
Yes, the one you experience when flying QR in a premium cabin and the one you experience when you're flying with everyone else (or QR economy)

They may share the same physical building but the experience is markedly different in my experience.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:58 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by mrow
Yes, the one you experience when flying QR in a premium cabin and the one you experience when you're flying with everyone else (or QR economy)

They may share the same physical building but the experience is markedly different in my experience.
If you've been through DOH in the early hours of the morning you'll know it's a horrid place, business class or not. Crowds of people, huge distances between gates and lounges and all of the appeal of STN at 6am.

On a separate point, security is a joke at DOH. You are lucky if the guy is watching the xray screen and they generally don't bother searching if you set off the metal detector. It's a concern.

And let's not even get started on the freak show of a teddy bear.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:38 am

Programs: BA Gold; IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TabTraveller
On a separate point, security is a joke at DOH. You are lucky if the guy is watching the xray screen and they generally don't bother searching if you set off the metal detector. It's a concern.
Really? I was rather thoroughly searched last time I was there (about 3 weeks ago). Perhaps I'm just unfortunate.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:45 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
When the CCR and GF were first launched in T5 I would argue there wasn't a huge amount of differentiation between them. BA have managed to differentiate them since the only way they know how: By massively cutting the costs and service associated with GF. Hey presto, CCR now has a clear reason to exist.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by ajeleonard
The business case is that there are so many Emeralds passing through Heathrow that segregating the cattle market from genuine first class passengers helps avoid further deterioration in the already weak First product. The passengers have to be lounged somewhere anyway, so it's just a square footage issue

So is there truth to the fact that OWE have access to the CCR? The BA website only lists info that indicates that though traveling in F have access to it. I just would like to make a plan to visit it when passing through LHR.

Thanks...
Old Mar 28, 2017, 12:05 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
So is there truth to the fact that OWE have access to the CCR? The BA website only lists info that indicates that though traveling in F have access to it. I just would like to make a plan to visit it when passing through LHR.

Thanks...
No. BA First class passengers only and Premier and Concorde Room Cardholders
Old Mar 28, 2017, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
When the CCR and GF were first launched in T5 I would argue there wasn't a huge amount of differentiation between them. BA have managed to differentiate them since the only way they know how: By massively cutting the costs and service associated with GF. Hey presto, CCR now has a clear reason to exist.
This.

CCR has also seen cost-cutting. In many ways, GF order menu became CCR order menu (not just lounge menu).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.