Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Primarily here for your safety, Post 2

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2017, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by KARFA
aa allows bags on the floor in the bulkhead seats and I seem to remember in the exit rows too?
I don't think any airline allows bags on the floor in a bulkhead row, that sounds like a violation of government aviation regulations. If someone was doing this on an AA flight then the crew screwed up.

AA generally allows bags on the floor in the exit row most of the time, but there are exceptions (for example, row 10 on the A321S because the next seat is too far away). The bag must be pushed entirely underneath the seat and not be blocking the exit row.

Last edited by Kumulani; Mar 24, 2017 at 10:35 pm
Old Mar 25, 2017, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
I am a safety zealot. I watch every presentation, listen to every word, and do what I am told. (Other than BA's version of the brace position, in their Y class, because the purpose of a brace position is to reduce the impact of your head hitting the seat in front, not to put your head on your hands).
Incorrect. The brace position in Y is not putting your head in your hands. It's putting your hands on top of your head to protect it and protect your strongest hand.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 3:03 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Kumulani
I don't think any airline allows bags on the floor in a bulkhead row, that sounds like a violation of government aviation regulations. If someone was doing this on an AA flight then the crew screwed up.

AA generally allows bags on the floor in the exit row most of the time, but there are exceptions (for example, row 10 on the A321S because the next seat is too far away). The bag must be pushed entirely underneath the seat and not be blocking the exit row.
This is my recollection of AA versus BA. So neither airline allows bags in the bulk head rows, and both fairly strict about it, though some AA crew will tolerate very small bags (purses). On 737 and Airbus services AA allow small and medium bags in the emergency exit seats - certainly including a large laptop bag - so long as the exit walkway is fully clear and the seat in front is proximate to the passenger. BA won't allow anything in these rows or under the seats in front, and though I've see the occasional small dark item not get spotted (e.g a camera bag) generally crews are punctilious in this area. There will always be the odd exception, and things will get missed but this would be by exception.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 3:08 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
This is my recollection of AA versus BA. So neither airline allows bags in the bulk head rows, and both fairly strict about it, though some AA crew will tolerate very small bags (purses). On 737 and Airbus services AA allow small and medium bags in the emergency exit seats - certainly including a large laptop bag - so long as the exit walkway is fully clear and the seat in front is proximate to the passenger. BA won't allow anything in these rows or under the seats in front, and though I've see the occasional small dark item not get spotted (e.g a camera bag) generally crews are punctilious in this area. There will always be the odd exception, and things will get missed but this would be by exception.
Thanks for the clarification. Yes I have definable seen the small bags in the bulkhead row which is probably why I assumed anything was allowed. I was struggling to equate my experience with AA with varkey's comment - I certainly see BA as always being strict on bags and coats in the exit and bulkhead rows. Also BA crew will normally ensure bags are competely under seats in all other rows, whereas AA crew don't seem to mind if the are not.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by ItsACrewLife
Incorrect. The brace position in Y is not putting your head in your hands. It's putting your hands on top of your head to protect it and protect your strongest hand.
"Customers tell us they prefer the confidence of knowing they are permanently in a brace position, so for their convenience we have decided to reduce seat pitch in our CE and ET cabins to 28 inches. The brace position is of course complementary."
Old Mar 25, 2017, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold(twice), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Frankly I'm amazed you take what's said to you on here seriously enough for to it affect what you do out in the real world. If something bothers that much then speak up.
In that case should I ignore your advice too ?

Actually I know your are right Hiddy. It did bother me. If there had been an evacuation the bag wouldn't have been a problem so long as it stayed under the seat in front (if), but the strap in the foot area would have been a huge hindrance / trip hazard. I am amazed that a mature American who would have understood the tannoy on take off and landing that the exit row floor areas must be clear and objects stowed in the overheads, decide to play dumb. That, and no mention from the crew "you're in an exit row" etc.
I've done the excellent 1/2 day BA safety course and know how difficult it is to get a large number of people out in a hurry, especially if smoke filled, and those over-wing doors are bloody heavy to heave out. That course, and a lifetime in the offshore oil business have made me safety conscious.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Originally Posted by simons1
" The brace position is of course complementary."
For now.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by BobbySteel
For now.
You mean until Brace On Board is introduced?
Old Mar 25, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
Somewhat related, I got yelled at by a member of cabin crew the other day - 'can I have your bag sir, it needs to go in the locker'...I looked somewhat uncomprehending for a few seconds, looked at the window to check I wasn't going insane and then politely suggested she might want to redirect herself to the row behind me as this wasn't an exit...

It was pretty rude in retrospect, I've never experienced BA crew being that abrupt before. Even if it had been accurately directed then it wasn't exactly polite...

On the other hand, my experience on S/H has been they're generally pretty hot on checking at take off and landing...
Old Mar 25, 2017, 8:19 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by KARFA
Thanks for the clarification. Yes I have definable seen the small bags in the bulkhead row which is probably why I assumed anything was allowed. I was struggling to equate my experience with AA with varkey's comment - I certainly see BA as always being strict on bags and coats in the exit and bulkhead rows. Also BA crew will normally ensure bags are competely under seats in all other rows, whereas AA crew don't seem to mind if the are not.
I was specifically talking about exit rows, I don't fly bulkhead with AA. I have taken over 100 flights with AA in the last 10 years, mostly domestic, on every single occasion crew has required verbal confirmation from exit row passengers they are willing and able to comply, have read instructions, etc. and check and clear any bags, etc. blocking paths. Every time without exception.

I fly WTP exit row almost every month for work. BA were strict until about 2 years ago, crew would look during seat belt checks and put above any items on the floor. I would say somewhere between a third and half of the time they don't bother anymore, MF are noticeably more carefree on this.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 11:34 pm

While in an exit row on AA I was surprised they simply checked the bags were under the seat and not protruding, so in a quiet moment I asked about their policy. The cc told me that bags are allowed in exit rows, and was rather surprised when I told her BA allow nothing in the space.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
While in an exit row on AA I was surprised they simply checked the bags were under the seat and not protruding, so in a quiet moment I asked about their policy. The cc told me that bags are allowed in exit rows, and was rather surprised when I told her BA allow nothing in the space.
AA and BA are governed by different regulatory authorities - there are bound to be differences
Old Mar 26, 2017, 3:01 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by varkey
I was specifically talking about exit rows, I don't fly bulkhead with AA. I have taken over 100 flights with AA in the last 10 years, mostly domestic, on every single occasion crew has required verbal confirmation from exit row passengers they are willing and able to comply, have read instructions, etc. and check and clear any bags, etc. blocking paths. Every time without exception.

I fly WTP exit row almost every month for work. BA were strict until about 2 years ago, crew would look during seat belt checks and put above any items on the floor. I would say somewhere between a third and half of the time they don't bother anymore, MF are noticeably more carefree on this.
But as noted AA don't require a clear floor on exit rows so I am still confused about your original post. What are AA strictly enforcing if they actually don't have a policy to have no bags in the exit row? You seem to be flying on a different AA then everyone else
Old Mar 26, 2017, 6:32 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
To the point about the brace position, there are 2 main groups of injuries recorded among pax who survive impact accidents in large commercial aircraft:
  1. Lower-limb fractures, primarily from auto-rotation of the knee joint due to deceleration
  2. Head injuries, from impact to aircraft structures and from flying debris inside the cabin
Clearly every case is different, and many accidents are not survivable no matter what you do, but adopting the brace position at least:
  • Lowers your head and upper torso below the top of the seat line and hence out of the trajectory of much debris
  • Exposes your weak hand (left hand for most people) to first impact of debris, giving some protection for your strong hand (which you may need to pull yourself out of the wreckage) and finally protection for your skull
  • Places more weight on your feet - if they are firmly flat to the floor your legs are slightly less likely to fly forward on impact
The US NIH has an interesting paper here on the topic.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 7:44 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
BA's brace position in the pictures for Y does not effectively describe the best position.

The single biggest risk in Y is your head hitting the seat in front. So put your ankles together, have your ankles slightly behind your knees, feet firmly on the ground, duck as low as the space allows with your head touching the seat in front, and with your weaker hand over your stronger hand on top of your head. Keep your head to the seat in front.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.