Wiki Posts
Search

Bassinet seat not available in First

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2017, 2:50 am
Original Poster

Bassinet seat not available in First

Hi All

I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar scenario. I'm trying to select 4E/F (777) so we have the bassinet location for our 11 month old but it's already taken.

Assuming it hasn't been taken by another pax with an infant is it likely they will move us to this seat on check in? BAEC agent said they would add a note on the booking to request the seat. Is there anything else we can do to get it changed via the call centre though?

Thanks.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 3:19 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Hi JScheme, welcome to FlyerTalk and the BA Branch in particular.

Are you able to post the flight details and we can have a look to see if the seat is actually assigned to someone else or just blocked. Once we know the availability of the seat we can offer more appropriate advice,
Old Mar 24, 2017, 4:12 am

JScheme, thank you for the PM. I can confirm that seats 4E/F are actually assigned to other passengers. Only window seats are available at this point (1A to 4A and 1K and 4K).

If you have already selected a pair of E/F seats it might be possible to swap with 4E/F on the day. Other than that, it's a case of fingers crossed and hope the passengers currently in 4E/F decide to move or change flights.

Worth asking at check-in though if nothing changes in the meantime.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 4:34 am

Programs: # Neodymium #
For what it's worth, we were recently on a 777 in F, with our 16-month-old.
We were in 4E/F, but after fitting the baby seat to 4F, we removed it, and opted instead to have her lie down next to one of us in the seat/bed.

It's an awkward configuration. It's not a bassinet, or a cot.. it's a car seat style contraption.
A shelf is installed, filling half the area of the seat, and then a 'car seat' style bed is strapped on top of the shelf. It's a fairly small (car) seat, too small for our 16 mo who was lying with her head bent quite far forward, uncomfortably, and alarmingly so!

Secondarily, it reduces the space for the grown-up in the seat. You can't use the TV for example.

With your 11 mo, the seat might be better fit, however, we ditched it, and were happy with her lying on the bed with us. We concocted a blanket/pillow cushioning across the arm support/shelf and side of the seat, so she was well supported, and also easy to pass across between us, from one seta to the other. This would have been simpler in two adjacent K windows seats, in retrospect!
Old Mar 24, 2017, 5:41 am
Original Poster

Thanks Tobias and McCoy.

For now we've gone with 2k / 3k so will try to concoct some sort of cushioning.

Out of interest if those already in 4e/f did not have an infant would BA move someone with an infant to this seat instead as part of an "operational" change?
Old Mar 24, 2017, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by JSchema
Thanks Tobias and McCoy.

For now we've gone with 2k / 3k so will try to concoct some sort of cushioning.

Out of interest if those already in 4e/f did not have an infant would BA move someone with an infant to this seat instead as part of an "operational" change?
That's why I suggest you ask at check-in. I'm not sure if BA will do this in First. I've just opened up 4 random A380/B777 upcoming First flights I have and tried to assign myself 4F on each - I was allowed to do so. That may mean there is no infant in that seat on your flight and may raise the possibility of moving on the day,
Old Mar 24, 2017, 6:11 am

A few years ago i faces the same issue, i contacted youFirst and they moved people around, i would call and ask.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:01 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
I would just go with the window seats, they're a better option, have a bit more space, and the bassinet area is really only useful for 0-6 month infant in my opinion.

FWIW, unlike other classes of travel, BA does not restrict the F bassinet seat selection as it's a pretty low percentage of flights with a baby in F.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:14 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by McCoy
For what it's worth, we were recently on a 777 in F, with our 16-month-old.
We were in 4E/F, but after fitting the baby seat to 4F, we removed it, and opted instead to have her lie down next to one of us in the seat/bed.

It's an awkward configuration. It's not a bassinet, or a cot.. it's a car seat style contraption.
A shelf is installed, filling half the area of the seat, and then a 'car seat' style bed is strapped on top of the shelf. It's a fairly small (car) seat, too small for our 16 mo who was lying with her head bent quite far forward, uncomfortably, and alarmingly so!

Secondarily, it reduces the space for the grown-up in the seat. You can't use the TV for example.

With your 11 mo, the seat might be better fit, however, we ditched it, and were happy with her lying on the bed with us. We concocted a blanket/pillow cushioning across the arm support/shelf and side of the seat, so she was well supported, and also easy to pass across between us, from one seta to the other. This would have been simpler in two adjacent K windows seats, in retrospect!
Here's an example of the child seat in action.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27483237-post3.html
Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:18 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Following on from what McCoy said, do bare in mind that infants should never be in a car seat for more than two hours. You will notice that their head tends to droop forward onto their chest, if you try the same you'll notice that it's more difficult to breath. Infants sat in a car seat for extended periods have a marked decline in their oxygen levels. Babies should be upright or lieing flat between periods in a car seat.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 11:25 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Accor Gold, Amex Plat, Hertz 5 Star, Global Entry
Sincere apologies for ressurecting this thread!

Flying to DXB in F in 3 weeks time, currently showing as a 777 with 8F seats. We are travelling with a 1 year old, the bassinet seat 2F is already taken.

I called You First who said that it's a full cabin with all seats allocated but the child seat can go in any of the seats in the F cabin and that I shouldn't worry?!

I'm not totally sure this is correct but would love to know if anyone has any more information.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 11:30 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by balowlyblue
Sincere apologies for ressurecting this thread!

Flying to DXB in F in 3 weeks time, currently showing as a 777 with 8F seats. We are travelling with a 1 year old, the bassinet seat 2F is already taken.

I called You First who said that it's a full cabin with all seats allocated but the child seat can go in any of the seats in the F cabin and that I shouldn't worry?!

I'm not totally sure this is correct but would love to know if anyone has any more information.
The child can sit on your lap in any seat - but the 'bassinet' car seat contraption is only available in 2F - the other seats don't have the fittings.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 11:35 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Accor Gold, Amex Plat, Hertz 5 Star, Global Entry
Originally Posted by islandadventurer
The child can sit on your lap in any seat - but the 'bassinet' car seat contraption is only available in 2F - the other seats don't have the fittings.
Thanks, this is what I thought. Hopefully people are happy to swap seats otherwise we'll have to make some kind of pillow fortress!
Old Dec 20, 2021, 12:08 pm

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by dylanks
I would just go with the window seats, they're a better option, have a bit more space, and the bassinet area is really only useful for 0-6 month infant in my opinion.

FWIW, unlike other classes of travel, BA does not restrict the F bassinet seat selection as it's a pretty low percentage of flights with a baby in F.
Is this the case in the A380 in Club? E.g not worth booking the bassinet and just choose a nice upper deck window pair for the 3 of us.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Will100
Is this the case in the A380 in Club? E.g not worth booking the bassinet and just choose a nice upper deck window pair for the 3 of us.
thats what I did and the pillow fortress worked with granny in another isle seat

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.