Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First time using LCY

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2017, 12:55 am
Original Poster

First time using LCY

Hi we've booked a trip to Florence next week on BA holidays which means we'll retain silver for another year. We fly from Edi via LCY and have not used LCY before, I know there are no lounges and it looks like the planes are smaller but is there anything else we should know? Has bob started at LCY yet I thought I read somewhere it was being implemented later than at Heathrow? I've tried a search but have not been very successful, sorry if there is a thread for this information already.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
One thing to bear in mind is that there isn't a transit route at LCY like there is at say LHR so you'll exit the arrivals area, end up in the checkin area then go up the stairs to reclear security and access the departures area.

How long do you have between flights?

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Mar 24, 2017 at 1:16 am
Old Mar 24, 2017, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by travelhappypair
Hi we've booked a trip to Florence next week on BA holidays which means we'll retain silver for another year. We fly from Edi via LCY and have not used LCY before, I know there are no lounges and it looks like the planes are smaller but is there anything else we should know? Has bob started at LCY yet I thought I read somewhere it was being implemented later than at Heathrow? I've tried a search but have not been very successful, sorry if there is a thread for this information already.
There's now lounges (pay to access) at LCY in the private jet centre but the 'First Class' (£95) lounge (where they'll drive you to the door of the aircraft and has separate private security) does not have BA participating and the 'Business Class' (£35) lounge seems a waste of time for me because rather than driving you to the aircraft they instead drive you to the main terminal where you then have to go through security there before boarding (and I'm no fan of landside lounges).

Does anyone know why BA is unwilling to allow those paying for the 'First Class' lounge to be driven to the aircraft?

I don't believe BoB has started yet, but it's likely just around the corner but no exact date has been announced.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 1:28 am

You'll be on Embrarer aircraft with 2+2 seating. There are two variants: the E170 is OK (only 6 of these) but the E190 (most of the fleet) is lovely - oodles of legroom.
City has unusual approach procedures and a short runway, so it can seem sporty. Most of us love it, but the steep descent may seem odd if you're not expecting it.
They always use both front and rear doors (by steps) so embarkation/disembarkation is rapid. Even though there isn't a transfer process, you'll get through quickly.
The paid lounges are ludicriusly expensive, nowhere near the terminal, and seem utterly pointless - other opinions are available.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rcspeirs
The paid lounges are ludicriusly expensive, nowhere near the terminal, and seem utterly pointless - other opinions are available.
I agree with you on the so-called Business Class option. £35 for a lounge that's located outside of the main terminal but still requires you to go through security in the main terminal seems so pointless I'd not even use it if it was free with BA status or Priority Pass (it's not).

I can see some people happy to pay £95 for the 'First Class' option but BA does not participate in this which means it's also pointless for most of us. But being able to completely avoid the main terminal would certainly appeal to some particularly nice if there's delays at the airport which cause it to get overcrowded.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 1:58 am

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
The quality of the bars and restaurants is generally pretty good and I have to say my experiences at LCY have all been good.

In fact I've actively chosen to fly back in there on Monday over Gatwick, yes partly due to geography but partly due to the speed of egress and lack of goofball travellers!
Old Mar 24, 2017, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RockyRobin
The quality of the bars and restaurants is generally pretty good and I have to say my experiences at LCY have all been good.

In fact I've actively chosen to fly back in there on Monday over Gatwick, yes partly due to geography but partly due to the speed of egress and lack of goofball travellers!
I don't think anyone would argue about the benefits of LCY for arrival particularly on a domestic as it can take only a few minutes from the steps of the aircraft into a taxi or the DLR. Departing is generally good unless there's delays (fog can cause major problems) when the terminal can become extremely overcrowded.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 2:19 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the information - don't think we'll bother with the lounges we're happy to buy a coffee if we want one,and we will keep our fingers crossed there is no fog!
Old Mar 24, 2017, 2:21 am

I love LCY but I like small airports (also love Norwich) but as said above its doesn't have many facilities and certainly not much for those wishing to participate in the full BAEC lounge experience.

Landing there on BA2 is great!
Old Mar 24, 2017, 3:30 am
Suspended

Btw there's a relatively new airside Pret located near gate 4.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 4:36 am

Programs: # Neodymium #
If you've not been through LCY before, prepare yourself for how cramped, crowded and claustrophobic it is airside. Get a coffee, and wander away from the central restaurant/shop bit, and find a quite gate area, with a departures display to keep an eye on your flight.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 4:36 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
I love LCY. Flying with colleagues it's always fun to watch their face when the nose pitches down for that final approach. unlike any other airport I've flown into I always get a sense that the pilots love the place.

Sit on the right hand side, if you come in over the city you'll get a stunning view as you bank over the shard and skim the top of Canary wharf before diving to the runway.

As far as the airport itself goes, it's small but it has enough to keep you occupied. grab a half decent coffee and watch the planes take off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.