Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR-ORD and DFW-LHR AA or BA in Y-class?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2017, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: GGL (2021-), BA Emerald (1999-2021), SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond
LHR-ORD and DFW-LHR AA or BA in Y-class?

I thought fewer Avios are earned when flying on AA vs. BA but the BA calculator actually shows the same Avios irrespective on whether I select BA or AA for LHR-ORD and DFW-LHR.

So, would you chose the 777-300 (AA) or 787-8 (AA) or 747 - all in Y class ?

I am BA gold so can benefit from lounge and advanced seat selection etc..

thoughts?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, DL Platinum
AA 777 with Main Cabin Extra then 747. I've just flown PEK-ORD on 787 with AA in Y and even in MCE you really, really, really, really do not want to do that.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I posed a similar question over on the AA forum as I was looking to fly from LAS to the UK and needed to fly Y to keep costs down while also trying to squeeze in a Saturday night! I ruled out the route via ORD for the same reason as given above which is that the daytime flight would be the 787 and even with MCE it would be horrific.

I would agree that the 777-300 ER with MCE seating would be the best option, followed by the 747. If there's a way you could do the A380 then the WT cabin upstairs might also be a good choice!
Old Mar 21, 2017, 3:56 pm
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
I would go for 777-300 ER main cabin extra.

Just flew BA 787 the other day in Y here is the legroom, I'm 5ft 11

and then I Flew LHR-ORD in main cabin extra on the 787-8, legroom was much better.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 4:04 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by southsidesilver
I would go for 777-300 ER main cabin extra.

Just flew BA 787 the other day in Y here is the legroom, I'm 5ft 11

and then I Flew LHR-ORD in main cabin extra on the 787-8, legroom was much better.
Your picture does show it's not so much the legroom, but does illustrate just how narrow these seats are and how little room there is under the seat in front for your feet thanks to the amount of space taken upon by that metal IFE box full of pentodes.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

THANKS everyone..

final check: if I fly on AA flight (AA6197) which is on BA metal (747)... I still earn normal TPs and Avios.. and probably does the flight also count as one of legs required towards retaining tier?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 4:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Yes should definitely be same TPs - think Avios also the same including relevant tier bonus - and it should count towards the minimum BA flight tally - that's my experience

I have had some issues with AA tickets on BA metal not crediting my account properly but normally sorted with a quick phone call when it happens
Old Mar 21, 2017, 4:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Haven't tried 9-across MCE on the AA 777-300ER yet, but I don't mind taking the 747s in 52B/J where the cabin narrows. Service starts from the back too so you get served first. Might be one of the last off, but plenty of space to stretch legs.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:11 pm

Programs: DL, AA PLT, US, HH Gold, BW Diamond, Avis PP, Choice PLT
at all costs avoid any 787 in Y class.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 2:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by conklaven
at all costs avoid any 787 in Y class.
thanks everyone - I booked 747 52B out on BA and 777-300 back from DFW on AA (MCE)
Old Mar 22, 2017, 2:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
As I always say in the Y discussion threads, AA 777s with MCE (if you get it free as a SCH) is superior to almost any other Y option.
The only exceptions might be if you're travelling in a twosome and can get the front row pairs on a BA 747 for example (and thus not have to have a 3rd person next to you).
I still prefer to have the extra legroom behind me in MCE though, because I like to recline my seat and therefore know I can do it without annoying the row behind - makes me feel less stressed!

Bare in mind when flying to the US, if you're in the back row of a widebody and don't have Global Entry, you're basically guaranteeing yourself a reasonable waiting time at customs!
Old Mar 22, 2017, 3:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Foltan
As I always say in the Y discussion threads, AA 777s with MCE (if you get it free as a SCH) is superior to almost any other Y option.
The only exceptions might be if you're travelling in a twosome and can get the front row pairs on a BA 747 for example (and thus not have to have a 3rd person next to you).
I still prefer to have the extra legroom behind me in MCE though, because I like to recline my seat and therefore know I can do it without annoying the row behind - makes me feel less stressed!

Bare in mind when flying to the US, if you're in the back row of a widebody and don't have Global Entry, you're basically guaranteeing yourself a reasonable waiting time at customs!
do you know roughly how quickly one can get global entry ? from application to interview etc .. ?
Old Mar 22, 2017, 3:08 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
What are you doing in Y mate?!
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: DL, AA PLT, US, HH Gold, BW Diamond, Avis PP, Choice PLT
Originally Posted by 62aClubWorld
do you know roughly how quickly one can get global entry ? from application to interview etc .. ?
From application submission to tentative approval (ability to book on site interview) it takes about 2 weeks. And then it all depends on how booked the interview station is. I was able to get an interview for my wife and I within 2 weeks. So a total of a month from application to full approval.

But theoretically you could do it in as quick as two weeks if you got an interview slot the day after you're conditionally approved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.