Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2017, 2:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
Gluten free meal in FIRST

Has anyone tried? Any good?

Last edited by Grande Annee; Mar 20, 2017 at 3:31 am
Old Mar 20, 2017, 3:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (thanks to BOB), UA, Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles, Amex BAPP & Platinum
We're all tired on a Monday morning.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 3:30 am
Original Poster

oooops I was up very early today
Old Mar 20, 2017, 3:47 am

Programs: BAEC (Silver), IHG (Plat Elite)
Prepare to be disappointed.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ou-expect.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-flying-f.html

As far as I can tell, you can have a regular, economy style special meal, but presented in a First style. Or, YouFirst should be able to tell you the ingredients, and allergens, in a pre-ordered meal but cannot guarantee it will be completely Gluten Free. There is also the possibility of cross contamination on board.

Don't forget pre-flight dining in the CCR, and possibly at your destination too. Personally, I'd be taking something to eat on the plane with me.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 3:47 am

Sharing my sister's (Coeliac rather than just dietary preference)experience here so may not be 100% accurate but...

She has found the GF options in CW & WTP to be so bland (plate of fruit) that she avoids ordering where possible now. She normally checks the menu in advance (they list all allergens) to see if there is something suitable which is most of the time and then preorders from LHR or speaks to crew early to try & reserve from an outstation. She often has to skip dessert but can find something in Club Kitchen to substitute. She has no experience in First but I think they share special meals with CW.

Try calling You First as they should be able to tell you the options.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 4:16 am

Programs: BAEC (Silver), IHG (Plat Elite)
Grande Annee, when are you flying ? I have an F return flight to BOS in May, and Mrs Chris1922Mk2 will be having a gluten free meal, hopefully. I’ll happily feedback or can PM you with details of our experience.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 4:22 am
Original Poster

Hi chris1922Mk2 I'm flying at the weekend, but thanks for the offer.

I am just trying to avoid wheat at the moment, but think I will pick from the normal menu as the Special Meals do not sound good.

Cheers
Old Mar 20, 2017, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Personally I wouldn't choose a GFML and would ask the crew for the "Chefs Chat" so that you can pick from the standard menu.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 4:30 am

Programs: BA Silver
My wife is gluten intolerant. She's ordered the GF meal once and said never again. More recently, she didn't pre-order and just asked for the allergen/ingredients sheet and chooses based off that. She also takes her own gluten free bread and/or oatcakes on board as she likes the cheese for desert but BA have never been able to provide a GF alternative to their oatcakes.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 4:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Personally I wouldn't choose a GFML and would ask the crew for the "Chefs Chat" so that you can pick from the standard menu.
Thanks CIHY
Old Mar 20, 2017, 4:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Paralytic
My wife is gluten intolerant. She's ordered the GF meal once and said never again. More recently, she didn't pre-order and just asked for the allergen/ingredients sheet and chooses based off that. She also takes her own gluten free bread and/or oatcakes on board as she likes the cheese for desert but BA have never been able to provide a GF alternative to their oatcakes.
Thanks Paralytic. Good idea......I will take some gluten free bread on board as well.

Btw, silly question but is there an M&S food shop airside in T3 where I could buy some?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 4:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
We have tried Gluten free in CW numerous times and once in F. I think it was the same meal. It's almost always chicken and dry and bland. Definitely eat before or take your own on board.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 5:16 am

Last edited by adrianjc32; Mar 30, 2017 at 7:54 am
Old Mar 20, 2017, 5:18 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Does the lounge (Galleries First) [1] have gluten free bread? If so you could ask for some and abstract it into your bag before leaving.

[1] "GF" is overloaded in this discussion
Old Mar 20, 2017, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by dev9aug
We have tried Gluten free in CW numerous times and once in F. I think it was the same meal. It's almost always chicken and dry and bland. Definitely eat before or take your own on board.
Chicken may be bland but it is a logical choice.

My wife is coeliac and when we've ordered the GF meal it's more often shellfish than chicken. Which if you think about it is a pretty stupid choice as many have shellfish allergies. Including my wife, so she often ends up with no food, so always takes something with her.

To the OP - you say you are "trying to avoid gluten" - so are you gluten intolerant/coeliac or not? If you're not, why not just have one of the normal meals?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.