Wiki Posts
Search

BA Flight Costs ex LHR

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2017, 4:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Skywards Silver
BA Flight Costs ex LHR

I live in London and I was researching travel costs to Hong Kong. The cheapest business class ticket from London Heathrow to Hong Kong on BA comes in at £3008. Yet if I were take a short flight to either Dusseldorf or to Amsterdam( return economy ticket,£82) just 75 minutes, I can pick up a business class ticket to HKG for £1550.

The flights from there however, are not direct. I have to go via, yes you have guessed it, London Heathrow.

It sure pays to do your research
Old Mar 12, 2017, 4:09 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Yes this is very well known, typically referred to as 'ex-EU'.
To make a fairer comparison you would need to account for the cost of your positioning flight, risk of misconnecting on separate tickets, accommodation if you need to stay overnight at your ex-EU departure point, and cost of your extra time.

See also: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...7-edition.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...er-thread.html
Old Mar 12, 2017, 4:10 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by steveben53
It sure pays to do your research
Old Mar 12, 2017, 4:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Starbucks Gold,
Or more like 'it pays to read Flyertalk'

The phenomenon is nothing new, called an Ex-EU fare on this board and a quick search will reveal many threads about it.

You are totally right in that for a small outlay of time to position you can save massive amounts.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 4:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Very well known if you know about it nux... before I knew about it, I knew nothing about it, and I was bloody excited when I did finally know about it and had found a way to travel business / first class for most of my LH flights.

steveben53, that's a good price IMHO ^
Old Mar 12, 2017, 4:22 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by Lucanesque
Very well known if you know about it nux... before I knew about it, I knew nothing about it, and I was bloody excited when I did finally know about it and had found a way to travel business / first class for most of my LH flights.

steveben53, that's a good price IMHO ^
Yes, amazing price! Especially since (I assume) steveben53 will position in/out in CE to pick up extra TPs.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by BA or bust
Yes, amazing price! Especially since (I assume) steveben53 will position in/out in CE to pick up extra TPs.
You can get an even better price from AMS if you don't mind routing via BKK too - £1357.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
You can get an even better price from AMS if you don't mind routing via BKK too - £1357.
That's handy to know!

On a similar vein, anyone seen any ways to get to SIN in CW? I've got to be there Mon 24/4 - Fri 28/4, but can't travel until the 23/4. Direct it's coming out as £5k!! Trying to find a OneWorld alternative. So far I've only found Malaysia via KUL for £2.8k.

Any FT wisdom welcome ^
Old Mar 12, 2017, 8:03 am

That's handy to know!

On a similar vein, anyone seen any ways to get to SIN in CW? I've got to be there Mon 24/4 - Fri 28/4, but can't travel until the 23/4. Direct it's coming out as £5k!! Trying to find a OneWorld alternative. So far I've only found Malaysia via KUL for £2.8k.

Any FT wisdom welcome ^
If you were travelling later you could use the same BKK fare as the one I mentioned but unfortunately that has a 60day advance purchase restriction so no good for your dates.

For the benefit of others, here's an example:
Attached Images  
Old Mar 12, 2017, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
That's handy to know!

Any FT wisdom welcome ^
Hi,

If you can leave on the 23rd, expedia.co. uk is offering Sri Lankan ( part of oneworld) for £2.1k but has a 13hr layover in Colombo

Regards

TBS
Old Mar 12, 2017, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
If you can leave on the 23rd, expedia.co. uk is offering Sri Lankan ( part of oneworld) for £2.1k but has a 13hr layover in Colombo
Interesting option, thanks TBS. Shame about the stopover, that kills it for me on this occasion as I need to be running a workshop on the Tuesday morning with my client, but the return leg is excellent, all day flight landing LHR 20:00... shame there's no cost effective way to mix MH on the way out and Sri Lankan on the way back.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
If you were travelling later you could use the same BKK fare as the one I mentioned but unfortunately that has a 60day advance purchase restriction so no good for your dates.
Thanks Ldnn1, that's a good deal!
Old Mar 12, 2017, 8:25 am

Thanks Ldnn1, that's a good deal!
Just realised there's a similar fare just slightly more with only 28 day AP - would this work for you?

If you want to do the AMS-LON or LON-AMS legs on an earlier/later date (i.e. with stopover in London) you can do that for an extra 100eur + APD.

SIN-LHR also available on Sat 29th.

Note this is using London POS availability. The same isnt available using AMS POS. If you want to book I suggest you do so quite quickly.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Ldnn1; Mar 12, 2017 at 8:37 am
Old Mar 12, 2017, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Skywards Silver
The way it works out for me I will take a BA flight leaving LHR at 12:50 arriving AMS at 15:10. The BA flight back to LHR leaves at 19:35. So no need for any overnight stays anywhere and plenty of time between flights. A saving, with the LHR-AMS return flight included of about £1500
Old Mar 12, 2017, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by steveben53
The way it works out for me I will take a BA flight leaving LHR at 12:50 arriving AMS at 15:10. The BA flight back to LHR leaves at 19:35. So no need for any overnight stays anywhere and plenty of time between flights.
On the assumption that you're not taking any checked bags to AMS, you'd probably have less risk if you fly LHR-AMS at 1625 arriving 1845 before flying AMS-LHR at 1935 arriving 1950. This is because the same aircraft operates both of those flights, so if the LHR-AMS is significantly delayed, so will the AMS-LHR. Otherwise, there is a risk (albeit small in these circumstances) that your LHR-AMS becomes so delayed that you miss your on-time AMS-LHR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.