Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Trial - Crew paid £10 to give aircraft 'light clean', save on cleaners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Trial - Crew paid £10 to give aircraft 'light clean', save on cleaners

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2019, 2:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Was quite an amusing sight on an early Saturday flight dwn to Malaga.

Looking across at rows 1 and 2 from my seat in 1F I could see that all of the pax were using their wet towels to wipe down their seat area and tray.

Perhaps an enhancement for ET pax, we're bringing you all a hot towel (please use it to clean your own seat)
nivsy and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by SK
PYOK is reporting that a recent memo by the Unite union says that BA "have begun a trial whereby there will be no cleaning completed in the cabin during turnarounds". “The company has confirmed that this trial is being carried out in response to improving turnaround performance for customers and will focus particularly on reducing delays during times of disruption.”

PYOK says that "it’s believed that the trial will be running for just over a week and only on some of BA’s shortest domestic and European services. Cabin crew are being encouraged to collect as much trash as possible prior to landing to get the aircraft turned around as quickly as possible."
Apparently this was a trial only on the DUB services whereby a clean would not be conducted on the turn in DUB, apart from to move the CE divider and dress the CE cabin.
According to leadership the trial was in place to see what effect it had on the turn time etc to see if it’s a strategy that could be used to minimise delays in times of disruption.
However, there was some confusion in DUB where the TRM’s would ask the crew to clean the aircraft and this is where the communication from the Union has come from - crews won’t be cleaning the aircraft.
Believe the trial has now ended anyway.
SK, adrianlondon, HIDDY and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:01 am

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
The same report quotes a cabin crew union which allegedly states

“It is absolutely imperative that crew DO NOT do any cleaning of seat pockets, crossing seatbelts etc,”
It is absolutely imperative to de-unionise BA!
Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
That would explain the crisp packet, vitamin C tub and 3 boarding passes in my seat back when returning from Dublin last week. Strangely, the incoming flight landed 15 minutes early and we boarded 40 minutes prior to timed departure and then sat there waiting for the last stragglers 10 minutes before departure before pushing back on time.

I would say this is more about cost saving than turnaround time. Maybe BA think 40 minutes is too long and will be pushing for less. I find 40 minutes work as long as the incoming arrives on time.
HMPS likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:37 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by subject2load
But still no excuse for the scale of mess which often results.
Absolutely. I'm reminded of the Japanese football fans in the Russia World Cup who would tidy up the stadium after their games, win, draw or lose. The stadia were left in a better state than they were found. I'm no angel in this area, but usually in the "20 minutes to landing" announcement I can get myself sorted in a few minutes, that gives plenty of time to tidy up the CW seat area with a mindset of "what would be the best way to leave this seat so that the cleaners can do their job efficiently". Typically that mean having a quick scoot around and picking up any débris, with a view to leaving the seat slightly tidier than when I boarded.
HMPS and TedToToe like this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:41 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Typically that mean having a quick scoot around and picking up any débris, with a view to leaving the seat slightly tidier than when I boarded.
Same here... but I'm not putting my hand in the seat pockets, as god knows what would be in there (after the stories you read on here).
Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:52 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Sign me up. I spend half my day shifting 5hite for nothing.
Originally Posted by Worcester
Have you returned from the Pampas and now have a job in the House of Commons?
Now that's something The Sun might put a slightly different spin on.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
The behaviour of Japanese fans at the last World Cup was indeed one of the great side stories of the whole tournament ! Although ..... anyone who has spent time in the country will not have been especially shocked by the reports.

I fully agree, c-w-s, that we should be good citizens and take a mere minute or two to tidy up, in and around our immediate seat area, before disembarking. If, however, you find that you are leaving the seat “slightly tidier than when I boarded”, this must surely mean that the standard of aircraft preparation by cleaners during turnaround (or first departure of the day) was less than satisfactory - and ultimately, that is not an acceptable scenario.
HMPS and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:09 am

"Please take your time to clean your seat area using the hand held vacuum stored under your seat. And for your safety and security, please remember to dispose of any litter when well inside the terminal building".
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by simons1
"Please take your time to clean your seat area using the hand held vacuum stored under your seat. And for your safety and security, please remember to dispose of any litter when well inside the terminal building".
Do many/any airline provide a little "litter bag" to help us gather wrappers, plastci baggies etc ?

IF the trial has ended how soon will it be instituted or dismissed ?
Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by HMPS
Do many/any airline provide a little "litter bag" to help us gather wrappers, plastci baggies etc ?
This used to be part of the BA short-haul catering pack, IIRC. And I think I've seen QF do something similar.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:53 pm

Deleted.
HIDDY likes this.

Last edited by TCX69; Feb 10, 2020 at 8:42 am
Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by Globaliser
This used to be part of the BA short-haul catering pack, IIRC. And I think I've seen QF do something similar.
And there's the problem with this scenario - as there's no longer any free catering, there's no rubbish bag. Not that all those plastic bags were a good thing environmentally. People need to just pass their rubbish to the crew when they pass by with the big bags. That's if they are the type to do so.

I had a CW flight were a guy diagonally across the aisle from left sections and magazines from a couple of Sunday papers scattered at his feet. Some went into the aisle and the crew nearly slipped on a few occasions but only pushed them back under his stool. Honestly, I don't know how some people can think its acceptable to leave their seat in such a mess, no matter the class.
fartoomanyusers and jfallesen like this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 6:31 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by TCX69
Utter load of rubbish!! 🙄 There was a trial for 3 days which involved the aircraft not receiving a full clean during the day, at one destination. The crew did not have to clean the aircraft and certainly did not receive a payment! The crew were asked to do the clear in of the cabin after the service and prior to landing, as normal.

Should the cabin of been in a state where it needed to be fully cleaned, this was available.
So now we have an insight on BA's "focus group- trial's size ? Awfully small sample.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:20 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Globaliser
You're right, QF certainly did - at some point they had table mats made of non-woven cloth that acted as rubbish disposal bags. At other times they might have been thin, plastic bags.

I am not sure if they still do but they might.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.