Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Trial - Crew paid 10 to give aircraft 'light clean', save on cleaners

BA Trial - Crew paid 10 to give aircraft 'light clean', save on cleaners

Old Mar 7, 2017, 3:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Concorde Room Card, Hilton Diamond
Unhappy BA Trial - Crew paid 10 to give aircraft 'light clean', save on cleaners

From that most excellent news source, The Sun:

Originally Posted by The Sun
RETCH FOR THE SKIES - Cost-cutting British Airways bosses let planes take off after a ‘light clean’ and without emptying the TOILET waste-tanks

COST-cutting British Airways bosses are letting planes take-off with just a “light clean” and toilet waste-tanks unemptied.

Crew members are being paid an extra 10 if they give the plane a quick tidy before departure, saving cash on paying contracted cleaners
- https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/302567...t-waste-tanks/

Last edited by Prospero; Mar 7, 2017 at 1:38 pm Reason: Rule 9. Fair usage of copyrighted content
Old Mar 7, 2017, 3:17 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
I'd strike
Old Mar 7, 2017, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I wonder how many Sun 'journalists' empty the bins at home if it's only a 3rd full?
nancypants and george77300 like this.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 3:21 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Passengers wont notice as the planes are filthy anyway.

Crew would be mad to agree to this.
And what BA save in cleaning they will burn in parking fees as the crew wont start any such cleaning till they have had their breaks, so turnarounds will be longer. Crew would normally have their breaks while the cleaners are at work.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
That most excellent of news sources is also available in the BA lounges so I wonder if this article has made the actual paper.

If not actually had cleanliness issues on the planes I've been on lately, so it'd seem a shame if cleaning was made worse.

Do other airlines do this? Are the toilet tanks currently emptied at outstations (if they are currently emptied then this means carrying needless extra weight).

Also do full toilet tanks cause odour issues or would they be taken out of service if this becomes an issue? Those who travel Virgin Trains on the west coast may be familiar with the awful toilet smells that can go through the carriage on a Pendolino (hint - if in first class use Coach K, it's a half size carriage (kitchen takes the other half) and doesn't have its own toilet).
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 3:28 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
It's not April 1st already is it?

It does however explain the recent trend for filthy planes - clearly nobody will notice if they're now cleaned less because they're used to them being grottier than the Paris Metro.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 3:30 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by layz
Do other airlines do this?
I think Ryanair crews clean the planes during the 25 minues turnaround!
flyerkit likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 3:43 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Well to be honest, 10 GBP per segment for the crew is decent money, that could be like 50 GBP a day if they fly many segments!

It's BA so I am not surprised if it's true. Nothing new here!
Old Mar 7, 2017, 3:43 am

Programs: Some
Perhaps BA could trial BoB cleaning whereby instead of a sandwich, passengers pay, say, 5 to have the crew clean around their seat for a couple of minutes?
Old Mar 7, 2017, 3:44 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by florens
Yes indeed!
Funnily enough they are quite good at it, I have never found Ryanair's planes to be dirty. Now the people flying them, that's another story all together, but that is not the fault of Ryanair or its crew!
Old Mar 7, 2017, 3:48 am
rum

Programs: Amex MR, A3, BAEC
It's an article in the Sun, so it must be true

Then again, it's about BA's cost-cutting measures, so you could expect anything from them now...
Old Mar 7, 2017, 3:49 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Yes indeed!
Funnily enough they are quite good at it, I have never found Ryanair's planes to be dirty. Now the people flying them, that's another story all together, but that is not the fault of Ryanair or its crew!
do ryanair pilots talk dirty?
Old Mar 7, 2017, 3:50 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Another example of the Skift Article "If one particular day we dont come up with an idea to reduce our costs, then were not doing our job."

I'm sure there's a middle manager at Waterside towers somewhere who got their picture up on the "Cost Cut of the Week" wall-chart, a gold star and a free flight to Band 1 (HBO) to say well done.

Last edited by ianwall; Mar 7, 2017 at 4:00 am
Old Mar 7, 2017, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by florens
Not just Ryanair, other UK airlines too.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Not just Ryanair, other UK airlines too.
which ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.