Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Trial - Crew paid £10 to give aircraft 'light clean', save on cleaners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Trial - Crew paid £10 to give aircraft 'light clean', save on cleaners

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2017, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nallison
It probably is a non-story. What is interesting is that the sun, and other papers, are sensing, and deciding to propagate, a narrative. The sun has generally been BA management friendly, especially with planted stories during industrial action. If BA has either made someone at the sun angry, or the paper simply sees a juicy developing narrative and wants to join in the fun, that's got to be a concern. Bad PR can tend to spiral once the media gets the scent of blood...
This!
While media pettiness is certainly a reasonable assumption for the ascendancy of the "BA is a shambles" narrative, I think Mr. Cruz's interview is also a proximate cause. Despite the mealy mouthed denials, that interview clearly showed that Mr. Cruz is inextricably attached to low cost carrier operating procedures and is determined to cast BA in that image...while maintaining a fare structure based on the flying public's notion, nostalgic notion, of British Airways.
Any other interpretation of his remarks is whistling past the graveyard IMO.
I believe the press has picked up on this and is essentially writing a narrative of a man falling down the stairs. Any story that advances that narrative is highlighted. Any story that contradicts it is ignored.
This is how journalism works. It's wise to also consider this dynamic as you read political news.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Just wow.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 3:51 pm

EasyJet crew also clean the aircraft.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by nallison
It probably is a non-story. What is interesting is that the sun, and other papers, are sensing, and deciding to propagate, a narrative. The sun has generally been BA management friendly, especially with planted stories during industrial action. If BA has either made someone at the sun angry, or the paper simply sees a juicy developing narrative and wants to join in the fun, that's got to be a concern. Bad PR can tend to spiral once the media gets the scent of blood...
Originally Posted by rickg523
I believe the press has picked up on this and is essentially writing a narrative of a man falling down the stairs. Any story that advances that narrative is highlighted. Any story that contradicts it is ignored.
This is how journalism works. It's wise to also consider this dynamic as you read political news.
As well as many comments here. Once the gang mentality takes hold, many are so quick to take a random media report at face value without applying the slightest critical thought to weigh up whether the story might be true or false, or whether there is actually anything unusual in whatever BA is reported to have done. Rather, it's seized on as an instant excuse to give BA another FT-style kicking.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 5:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by Kamalaasaa
Maybe they could start charging extra for flights with cabin crew.

Old Mar 7, 2017, 5:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Well to be honest, 10 GBP per segment for the crew is decent money, that could be like 50 GBP a day if they fly many segments!
Sign me up. I spend half my day shifting 5hite for nothing.
Crampedin13A, SKT-DK and no2blues like this.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 5:35 pm
Suspended

As others have said, having the cabin crew doing a lite clean has been a core LCC feature. The upside is that in the case of B6 and WN the cabin crew were incented by stock options and bonuses, etc.

In terms of the relationship between cleaners and cabin crew, my experience with AA is the PIC had to sign-off on accepting the plane and if not happy with the condition, could refuse accepting the plane and request cleaners return. I know this first hand from speaking to a PIC after he rejected the aircraft during the day AArpey days where AA tried to save money on cleaning. He came to the podium at the gate area to apologize for the delay and explain why.

His explanation for the poor cleaning was (from what the crew chief had told him) they had been told by AA to retain the contract they would have to clean the plane in the same amount of time for something like 30% less. The result was that the 3rd party company accepted the new terns and simply cut the cleaning crew by 40% - so 40% fewer cleaners trying to clean a plane in the same amount of time.

I suspect BA is trying the same approach.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 5:35 pm
SK

Arrow Naturalia non sunt turpia

PYOK is reporting that a recent memo by the Unite union says that BA "have begun a trial whereby there will be no cleaning completed in the cabin during turnarounds". “The company has confirmed that this trial is being carried out in response to improving turnaround performance for customers and will focus particularly on reducing delays during times of disruption.”

PYOK says that "it’s believed that the trial will be running for just over a week and only on some of BA’s shortest domestic and European services. Cabin crew are being encouraged to collect as much trash as possible prior to landing to get the aircraft turned around as quickly as possible."
Old Feb 3, 2019, 11:17 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by Fontana
So what happens if & when all the toilets are full? and you're dying for a number 1 or 2?
Buy a bottle of water, give it to someone else to drink and hope your bladder holds 500ml or less.

Number 2 Buy the bottle and ask for a large plastic bag to put it in.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 11:19 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Sign me up. I spend half my day shifting 5hite for nothing.
Have you returned from the Pampas and now have a job in the House of Commons?
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:09 am

Programs: BAEC-GGL, GFL, *A Gold, Hilton Diamond , IHG Diamond/Ambassador
How about asking passengers to clean and give them £10 off their ticket if they spend 10mins cleaning Sort of the inverse of speedy boarding.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Originally Posted by flyerkit
How about asking passengers to clean and give them £10 off their ticket if they spend 10mins cleaning Sort of the inverse of speedy boarding.
Dont think that would work, half the pax can't even show signs of common courtesy never mind cleaning, but would sure no doubt take the money. Interestingly I had observed more mess and clutter around premuim seats than down the back on certain flights when gone for a stroll.
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by flyerkit
There’s a thought.

Would the deal include supplies of rubber gloves, wet wipes ........ and access to a Henry Hoover ?

EDIT - nivsy is probably right, on balance
Old Feb 4, 2019, 1:40 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Originally Posted by nivsy
Dont think that would work, half the pax can't even show signs of common courtesy never mind cleaning, but would sure no doubt take the money. Interestingly I had observed more mess and clutter around premuim seats than down the back on certain flights when gone for a stroll.
Everytime I have come off any longhaul aircraft, which ever airline it maybe, and had to walk through the premium cabins I am suprised how messy they get left in.
DeathSlam, nancypants and wilsnunn like this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 1:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by SonTech
Everytime I have come off any longhaul aircraft, which ever airline it maybe, and had to walk through the premium cabins I am suprised how messy they get left in.
I guess that’s (partly) because there is always more ‘stuff’ being used in J and F ....blankets, pillows, amenity kits, (contents of which are often left around the seat), magazines, newspapers, additional food offerings ..... etc etc.

But still no excuse for the scale of mess which often results.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.