Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Club Europe is too cheap.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by scottnothing
Sorry, my point being that the high frequency of business travellers on this route means there is little incentive for Qantas and Virgin to put downward pressure on J prices to pick up custom, so over time the cost of SYD-MEL flights in J have remained fairly stable (and high)
An interesting example of where the abundance of frequencies has not caused depression of prices in order to attract extra business. Unless some price-fixing shenanigans are going on...
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:33 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by techie
An interesting example of where the abundance of frequencies has not caused depression of prices in order to attract extra business. Unless some price-fixing shenanigans are going on...
In the very old days it used to be pretty normal to pay at least AUD 300-400 each way in Y although it hasn't been the case for a while, at least not since Virgin started.

I read somewhere that non-flying public transport and car travel has gone right down between major cities after Tiger and Jetstar bringing lower fares though.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: Nando's Black, British Airways Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
I suspect it's more a case of the economic effects of a nicely functioning duopoly rather than price collusion.

This short working paper from the University of Sydney makes for interesting reading on the subject of competition in the Australian domestic market for those interested: http://sydney.edu.au/business/__data...S-WP-16-21.pdf
Old Apr 11, 2017, 5:03 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by escape4
Which airline has a worse short-haul J product than BA?

Among those I have flown, none. Not to say I have flown all airlines so I am curious to hear who you would rank lower than BA CE.
I would say Meridiana is worse... at least their seat is less comfortable in my experience. That said for a 45 minute flight between Munich and Milan it was the best option available.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Restaurant quality? Now that is hyperbole if ever I heard it. I have no idea who is worse than BA but I have always thought that AZ was rubbish - when it was not have a strike that day. As for LH - it is the only airline to give away my breakfast to the cockpit so we won't be bothering with them anytime soon.

I have no problem with TK except that it is loads more expensive than BA. There is a "Business Promotion" from LHR at £370 (BA is £300) - if you fly from LGW. However, NCE - IST is €640 return. No, I don't think so.
Fully agree that 'restaurant quality' on the former full meals is hyperbolics, but still, those full hot meals (decent by airline quality standards) were far better than the panino (or half thereof) or tiny appetiser that we are getting instead since 1/4!

Sadly, NCE is a very lucrative premium market for most airlines and TK is no exception. They sell lots of expensive connecting trips to the Cote so have no incentive to offer many cheap seats from there. Shame as it is indeed a very good product! That said, NCE-LHR in C is frequently upwards of the €600 figures and it is only 2 hours (NCE-IST is over 3h).

As for competitors, you should definitely give AZ another go. They are mediocre on short haul but food in long haul J has been outstanding for years. I know people abuse those comparisons but it really dwarfs BA F (or many other airlines F for that matter). The menu is all regionally inspired (changes each month) and is all served cart-side from large dishes by waiting-trained crew. Crew will first come with a cart of antipasti with plenty of choices. Then the second cart has two types of pasta, even properly cooked. The third tray has the meats, fish, and contorni, to mix and match at leisure. And finally, the last food cart with cheese and desserts. All very civilised.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 2:36 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by escape4
I agree the comparison is less relevant outside Europe than inside Europe. But I did not intend to limit my comparison to any particular part of the world. If you want to limit it to Europe, then I still say nobody is worse than BA, mostly due to seat pitch.
I have not flown any intra-European C that is much better than BA. I would say KL, LH, AF, OS etc. are all much of a muchness in C compared with CE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.