Wiki Posts
Search

The Great Downgrade Paranoia

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2017, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
The Great Downgrade Paranoia

There seems to be an increase in the number of threads around BA downgrades, potential downgrades, what if in downgrades etc.

Any particular reasons for that you reckon?

To give some colour, while I don't fly near as much as some on this forum, I have clocked around 1,000 segments so far. I have never been downgraded (irrespective of status and airline) nor denied boarding.

I have been been put on standby once, have seen a colleague being put on standby once (both promptly resolved with a bit of DYKWIA) and have seen one colleague downgraded on a busy 1 hour flight.

By contrast I must have been upgraded dozens of times (mostly through status, but not always).

So please chill, enjoy the lounge and have a good flight!
Old Mar 5, 2017, 10:41 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Likewise, I’ve never been downgraded on any airline. Touch wood, I hope my record stays that way.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG
Downgrade Paranoia is the new First First.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My one attempted downgrade on BA many years ago which was resolved by a clear and resolute manner with the station manager. I've self downgraded to avoid CE middles too.

While I can be rude about those earning their miles from a supermarket, I can also understand their concerns. If redeeming for a trip of a lifetime (or just an annual escape from the drudgery of normal life) and eagerly anticipating the premium air travel experience it would be a crappy result to end up in a WT+ middle with £150 on a Visa card as the derisory compensation.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 11:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

This infrequent flyer has been upgraded on BD, AF, BA and BA....in that order. My only downgrade from J to Y was on a TAM GRU-EZE flight and that was understandable due to a missed connection. Turned out to be a very enjoyable flight although I'm sure some unforgiving grumpy so and so would have thrown a tantrum.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 11:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by HIDDY
My only downgrade from J to Y was on a TAM GRU-EZE flight and that was understandable due to a missed connection.
That wouldn't be a downgrade unless you were already confirmed in the flight in the higher class of service and then downgraded.

Otherwise, it is that you missed your earlier flight and they could only accommodate you in Y on that flight. They should have offered you the opportunity to fly in your purchased class of service for the next flight where they had seats available in J. Also, most of the time, they will waitlist you to get into J if a seat opens, and you would have a high priority.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 11:32 am

In all my years of travelling I have only been involuntarily downgraded once. It was LHR-CPH when the flight was changed to ET only, so no CE available at all.

I have voluntarily downgraded a few times to get on earlier flights.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR / QF LTG
I have been downgraded once on BA (LHR - YVR). F to CW due to a faulty seat. Name called at the gate, handed a £500 cash card plus EU261 compensation later on. Revenue ticket and all very professional. Unless things have drastically changed, I expect to fly in the cabin booked (for both upgrades and downgrades) regardless of how I have booked (£££/Avios/241).
Old Mar 5, 2017, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
We've all experienced BA downgrades.... in the service mainly
Old Mar 5, 2017, 11:44 am

I doubt the paranoia is based on anything rational.

More likely just the fact that when it comes to customer service, airlines are on a par with the banks and utility companies, meaning some people get tense and almost expect to get shafted in some way.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 11:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Oi, I trademarked that term!

I've been downgraded once in 42 years with BA, CE to ET from HEL to LHR after a cancellation, and I was offered a later flight in AY Business. I'm not going guess how many flights that amounts to, but it is a lot. Upgraded every month or two.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
Perhaps a lack of confidence in the BA brand?

I have only once been handed a downgraded boarding pass by an airline (not BA) at the gate, I told them its fine they can offload my bags and transfer me to the next flight, I'd rather wait 6 hours then do 12 hours in Y... A lot of huffing, puffing and tutting, but they decided it was better to downgrade someone else who might be less belligerent.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VS, Costa Coffee, My Waitrose
In my humble opinion, I find this downgrade paranoia all a bit hypercritical, many people gain, push and wish for op upgrades etc. Yet if it needs to work the other way, it’s a disgrace. Unfortunately, you cannot have it both ways.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 12:09 pm

I'm probably one of those guilty of paranoia but I'd like to post a couple of points in my defence and in others who are a bit overly paranoid at the moment!

1: I don't fly anywhere near as much as most people on this forum so im
nowhere near as experienced. Hence I didn't really know what to do or
my rights if BA took the pretty unlikely step of downgrading me on my companion voucher booking.
2: I'm only Bronze status so probably much more like to be downgraded than a lot of the GGL/Golds posting here.
3: My husband and I both work in the charity sector for children's charities. While the job satisfaction and the sense achievement may be high, the financial rewards are not. We gain most of our avois from paid long haul and short haul economy as well as being one of the pesky "Tesco tourists". The chance to fly once a year in CW long haul is a real
highlight of our year and being able to sleep and have a lie flat seat really helps us enjoy our holiday to the max, and recover briefly from our 50+ hours a week we work.

I've probably waffled on more than enough but just wanted to make the point that It's almost certainly the case that in our upcoming trip to japan in CW that we won't be downgraded. However the advice this forum and CWS has given in particular means I feel I know how to handle it if the unlikely happens.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
My one attempted downgrade on BA many years ago which was resolved by a clear and resolute manner with the station manager. I've self downgraded to avoid CE middles too.

While I can be rude about those earning their miles from a supermarket, I can also understand their concerns. If redeeming for a trip of a lifetime (or just an annual escape from the drudgery of normal life) and eagerly anticipating the premium air travel experience it would be a crappy result to end up in a WT+ middle with £150 on a Visa card as the derisory compensation.
Oh my goodness, I'm agreeing with Swanhunter!

There have been several reports recently of those travelling on 2-4-1 tickets being selected for downgrades. Specifically, the companion being downgraded. Add to that BA's firm stance that they don't have to offer any reimbursement for the loss of value of the 2-4-1 voucher, and I can understand the concern. We are only seeing the tip of the iceberg on FT. I wonder how many companions have been downgraded who didn't even know that they are entitled to any reimbursement?

I don't think it's paranoia or hysteria - I think it is genuine concern.

As for those rattling off how many flights they have taken without being downgraded, I think it's the whole queen-wet paint thing in play. Does anybody really think that c-w-s is #1 on the list to be downgraded from F to J when it is overold by one passenger?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.