Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Product comparison [BA vs VS, Premium economy]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2017, 4:29 am
Original Poster

I flew BA World Traveller Plus to JFK in early January. On Wednesday this week I flew Virgin Atlantic Premium Economy to JFK. The aim of my post is to tell BA to get a grip and upgrade their product offerings. This is quite a basic comparison but is representative of several flights in the last 12 months rather than a snapshot on one day.

BA World Traveller Plus.

No dedicated check in.
Boarding was quite organised.
Refurbished 747.
No wifi options.
Welcome drink offered.
Menu offered.
First drinks round with no nibbles. Wine offered at the same time.
Hot meal offered. Basic tray. Good quality hot meal.
Tea and coffee offered in paper cups.
No mid flight service offered. I went to the galley and asked for tea which was inconvenient.
Good entertainment .
No pre-landing tray. Tea/coffee in a paper cup and a mini mars bar.

VS Premium Economy

Dedicated and welcoming check in.
Chaotic boarding and gate area.
New 787-9.
Wifi enabled aircraft.
Welcome drinks and a selection of papers.
Menu offered.
First drinks round with pretzels.
Hot towels offered.
Hot meal service with full tray on china and wine offering.
Tea and coffee in mugs.
Liqueur service.
Mid flight ice cream offered.
Mid flight bar round.
Wander wall available in the galley: self service drinks and snacks available.
Excellent screen and entertainment.
Full afternoon tea service with sandwiches, warm scones and tea/coffee in mugs.

The VS flight was excellent. Almost too much food and drink was available but as the crew said to me, "you are on board to be spoilt and looked after". I am not saying VS is great and I know the 787 will mean certain features make the experience feel upgraded but why on earth would anyone pay for BA World Traveller Plus when VS offers a superior product and service? And when will BA start "spoiling" those customers who pay a bit extra on their services?
Old Mar 3, 2017, 4:34 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I guess this further reinforces your recent statement that BA would no longer get your business on WTP and instead you would fly with VS? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...m-economy.html
Old Mar 3, 2017, 4:34 am
Suspended

I don't like the VS terminal at JFK.
I don't like T3 at LHR.
I don't like VS cabin crew.
I don't like VS passenger demographic.
I don't like the VS frequent flyer programme.
I don't fly to get drunk and fatter.
I don't fly to surf the www
Old Mar 3, 2017, 4:37 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Thanks kaizenflying.

An interesting and useful comparison.

Certainly, VS PE sounds better from your experience.

Were the prices similar or are you not able to compare?

I think WTP passengers should get hot towels.

The second snack service on such flights is an insult.

BA will be relying on the BAEC and transfer passengers to attract traffic rather than provide a premium Premium Economy product.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 4:45 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
I have heard similar good things from my colleagues. We have a lot of traffic between our office in London and head office in Chicago in Premier economy class. General consensus is that VS is by far the most superior.

I admit I still fly BA to keep up my BAEC account. So in our office those who have no BAEC status have switched to VS. From our US office they tend to fly mainly UA to maintain their status with United, though readily admit that compared to BA/VS/UA, UA is the most underwhelming.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by richardwft
I don't like the VS terminal at JFK.
I don't like T3 at LHR.
I don't like VS cabin crew.
I don't like VS passenger demographic.
I don't like the VS frequent flyer programme.
I don't fly to get drunk and fatter.
I don't fly to surf the www
At lot of generalisations there With BA's approach of trying to get many of the legacy fleet to take redundancy and their appalling treatment of mixed fleet who knows when BA will be in the situation where excellent crew is the exception rather than the rule.

Does the VS passenger demographic shop at "King of trainers"?

As we're talking premium economy I agree on T3. But when I have lounge access T3 is the best terminal at Heathrow (whether flying oneworld or Virgin).

Consuming food and drink is optional, but it's certainly better to have the option than to not. Same with WiFi (unless your company would force you to work if WiFi is available).
Old Mar 3, 2017, 4:50 am

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
Very interesting, thanks. I've switched all my upcoming VS flights this year to BA. Any similar comparisons done between VS Upper and CW? Or do I not want to scare myself?
Old Mar 3, 2017, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by kaizenflying
... why on earth would anyone pay for BA World Traveller Plus when VS offers a superior product and service?
Two questions for you:-
  1. [*]
These are serious questions. Your answers to them could go a long way to explaining why BA doesn't feel that it needs to make things radically better.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 4:54 am

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Two questions for you:-
  1. [*]
These are serious questions. Your answers to them could go a long way to explaining why BA doesn't feel that it needs to make things radically better.
Very happy with VS flights themselves but I'm trialling a switch this year to BA/OW simply because VS has no useful alliance scheme and hardly fly anywhere (therefore no TP runs ).
Old Mar 3, 2017, 5:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Heading west from MAN, VS gives me the option of a direct premium economy product so BA's offering would have to be vastly superior to justify connecting through LGW/LHR. In my (admittedly limited) experience, there really isn't that much difference either way.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 5:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jahason
..We have a lot of traffic between our office in London and head office in Chicago in Premier economy class. General consensus is that VS is by far the most superior....
Seems VS is no longer flying direct non stop to Chicago, are your colleagues going indirect?
Old Mar 3, 2017, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
How was the wifi and what did it cost?

Was very disappointed with the wifi on Cathay's A350 last week. Had planned to spend a productive 12hrs in the air, but instead it was just a perpetual headache to get (& stay) connected.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 5:35 am

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, DL Platinum
I got VS PE for a song last year in a sale (New York / London $680). The 787 is excellent but the return was on an A340 jalopy. Food was much, much better than BA and having separate toilets was another real benefit that emphasized the premium. It's a great product.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 5:48 am

Well done OP - you've flushed out the BA naysayers pretty sharpish!

There is one particular element of your overall description that sums it up: if BA cared to offer a 'premium' service in WTP then the second meal service wouldn't be a cup of tea in a paper cup and a mini Mars bar.

But they don't need to. BA know they have a mass of travellers thanks to their network and hold on slots at Heathrow. You chose another carrier on the most competitive route and good for you as it seemed to work out better. I'd be interested to know if the price was the same as that's one of the most important factors in a comparison.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 6:01 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
I think there's a great deal of realism in this thread. VS is very much the underdog at LHR compared to BA, and to attract people it has to overcome the BA branding (still powerful, as we've seen from an award this week), the BAEC FFP tied in with oneworld and its own very limited route network meaning far fewer direct flights.

So, given price is often the same, of course its cabins are going to be better, because they have to be - otherwise no-one would be prepared to fly with them, let alone someone without access to the Clubhouse.

BA doesn't have to try to improve (more's the pity) - it has pretty much a guaranteed market through its dominant position at LHR. I suspect BD actually hurt BA more than VS because of its slot quantities, hence why it was bought. VS will now be but an annoying little pimple on BA's backside, certainly not a serious threat that requires rearguard action ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.