Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Berlin Tegel Check In

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2017, 1:35 am

Programs: BAEC GOLD, Star Alliance, HH Gold
Originally Posted by dougzz
Damn right. TXL rocks and must not be in any way bad mouthed.
Couldn't agree more with every positive comment about TXL. If only they had a railway link it would complete the package.
That was the one benefit of Tempelhof.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Tempelhof a mere few years ago! It made Tegel feel like some vast remote airport!

Tempelhof, Pisa, and Nice are also the only three airports I can think of in Europe where with just a bit of time, you can/could walk to the city centre!
Tallinn! It's under an hour to walk from the city centre, about 40 mins from the Hilton. I also walked to LUX a few years ago (can't remember how much time I set aside for this) and LCY back when I was living in SE1 (via the Woolwich Ferry, although I could have got north of the river via Tower Bridge too).

For those who criticise TXL it's also worth remembering that the airport probably only receives the minimum investment needed to keep it ticking over since it's due to close. If it's decided to retain TXL then both the airport operator and the airlines will have incentive to invest in the facilities.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 2:39 am

Programs: BAEC
Tempelhof a mere few years ago! It made Tegel feel like some vast remote airport!

Tempelhof, Pisa, and Nice are also the only three airports I can think of in Europe where with just a bit of time, you can/could walk to the city centre!
Originally Posted by ENTP
I walked to Bergerac last year
I've walked to/from Nice, Bremen, Copenhagen, Alderney, Antwerp and Rimini Airports recently. That being said, I like walking and travel light. Some of them aren't really "normal" walking distances.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 3:54 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Don't get the TXL love-in. When it works (for HBO CE pax) it's fine.

But i've had about 8 out of 10 BA flights there delayed, inbound seems to play havoc with where to stick you (some old tin shed fighting through the inbound QR pax who block the route). Outbound is worst as there is no space for delays - cafes / bars that are so small you have people fighting over seats. A massively odd and inadequate lounge if you have access.

Location is OK if you jump into a taxi, the public transport varies between easy to get a bus onto the metro, or absolutely bloody heaving with blocked roads out the airport so what should be a 5 minute journey is 25 minutes standing in someones armpit before disembarking and finding the Ubahn is up the ubend (don't diss London Underground).

It's a real Jekyl and Hyde airport, alternates between great and inept. My best airport experience in Berlin was a trip from SXL a couple of months ago from their 'new' tin shed with uber quick passport control.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 4:39 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
And there will of course be a referendum on keeping TXL open, probably on the day of the federal election in September. If successful, that would be a hand grenade thrown into the entire long-term transportation strategy for Berlin as thought up by federal and city authorities. Given the considerable failings of that strategy, that's most likely a reason to cheer.
Do you have some more background gossip, or links online, to the story behind this? It sounds interesting.

Originally Posted by Sam Bee
absolutely bloody heaving with blocked roads out the airport so what should be a 5 minute journey is 25 minutes standing in someones armpit before disembarking and finding the Ubahn is up the ubend ....
very good.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Gibraltar is a very short and unique walk - straight across the runway...
Old Jul 22, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC

Can do it for Dundee airport too , although sadly no international flights at present!
Old Jul 22, 2018, 1:09 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ENTP
Bergerac
Originally Posted by layz
Tallinn! It's under an hour to walk from the city centre, about 40 mins from the Hilton. I also walked to LUX a few years ago (can't remember how much time I set aside for this) and LCY back when I was living in SE1 (via the Woolwich Ferry, .
Originally Posted by shefgab
I've walked to/from Nice, Bremen, Copenhagen, Alderney, Antwerp and Rimini Airports recently.
Originally Posted by fruitcage
Gibraltar
Originally Posted by EDIflyer
Dundee
How come I didn't spot this before?

The walk I enjoyed the most in Europe (kind of) is from Nuuk / Godthåb - one of the wackiest places I get to visit. I will also add Billund, Bologna, Brindisi, Corfu, Olbia, Skiathos, Melilla, Cambridge, Southend. Stornoway, Wick; and at a pinch Belfast City, Geneva, Faro, Santander and Zakynthos.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
Not sure what the cut off is for walkable, but Southampton is under 4 miles to the city centre, so around an hour at a reasonable pace
Old Aug 10, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Left luggage at TXL?

Noting that very early dumping of bags to facilitate a day in the city isn’t possible here, is there a left luggage facility in the main terminal?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 10:08 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
There's a left luggage service in Terminal A. Bit difficult to find since it's somewhat tucked away.
If you stand underneath the main arrival/departure boards at the front of Terminal A (inside) and proceed into the alley underneath these, then you get access to the luggage services. Operated by 4S GroundLogistics.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 5:54 am

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by AlienInTheFatherland
There's a left luggage service in Terminal A. Bit difficult to find since it's somewhat tucked away.
If you stand underneath the main arrival/departure boards at the front of Terminal A (inside) and proceed into the alley underneath these, then you get access to the luggage services. Operated by 4S GroundLogistics.

Many thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.