Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Berlin Tegel Check In

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2017, 2:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: CAMRA GGL (Gold Card Holder/Lifetime membership)
Berlin Tegel Check In

So I am going to Berlin with my mother in April treating her to a mini break.

We are flying out together but coming back she is flying into Doncaster with FlyBe and me back to Heathrow as we both have work the next day.

I had booked for her to fly back from Tegal at about 1800hrs and my flight is an hour later, perfect!

Now FlyBe have changed her flight time to 1200hrs lunchtime ! Mine of course hasn't changed...

So I will have to go to the airport with her on the bus at 0930hrs to see her off, then get the bus back, do whatever to entertain myself, then head back to Tegal for my flight in the evening.. nightmare!

I am flying Business with BA on a reward ticket. I tried changing my flight but the only other flight available all day is 07something am. So I am stuck on the 1915 flight.

My question really is that is it possible at Tegal for me to take my suitcase at the same time as I take mum, and check in/get rid of it, and get my boarding pass?

Thanks in advance
Old Mar 2, 2017, 3:00 am

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
Check-in usually opens 1.5-2 hours before departure, depending on what mood they are in it seems to me. There is a left luggage facility in TXL but I've never used it. If you have access to the lounge bear in mind it is landside and away from the gates. Each gate has its own security so don't go through too early as there is not much on the other side.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 3:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tuff
Check-in usually opens 1.5-2 hours before departure, depending on what mood they are in it seems to me. There is a left luggage facility in TXL but I've never used it. If you have access to the lounge bear in mind it is landside and away from the gates. Each gate has its own security so don't go through too early as there is not much on the other side.
Thats a pain! At least by the sounds of it I can go to the lounge with my luggage before the check in opens, then get rid of the bag later.

So do I trundle back to Berlin and wheel my case around for hours? Or just sit in the lounge for hours as I am already at the airport :/
Old Mar 2, 2017, 3:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Leave your luggage at your hotel for the day, take your mum out to the airport and then come back and enjoy your day before grabbing your bag and heading out for your flight.

It's not far from the centre, so it's a quick journey (I'd take a cab, from memory it's not much)
Old Mar 2, 2017, 3:33 am

Programs: SK Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by hungry
So do I trundle back to Berlin and wheel my case around for hours? Or just sit in the lounge for hours as I am already at the airport :/
I think you may find that the TXL lounge is unable keep you entertained for six hours. I agree with bhbloke, leave your bags at the hotel, enjoy the day in Berlin and fetch your bags before you leave for your own flight.

A taxi from the centre to Tegel should cost around €20, the bus is €2.80.

There are also left luggage facilities at the airport or at the central train station (convenient for the TXL bus).
Old Mar 2, 2017, 3:51 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by tuff
Check-in usually opens 1.5-2 hours before departure, depending on what mood they are in it seems to me. There is a left luggage facility in TXL but I've never used it. If you have access to the lounge bear in mind it is landside and away from the gates. Each gate has its own security so don't go through too early as there is not much nothing on the other side.
Fixed that for you !
Old Mar 2, 2017, 4:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
At some airports you can check-in and drop your suitcase whenever the desk is open, and the TXL desk will be open at that time, so it might be worth a try as you're in CE too.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 4:08 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by missdimeaner
Fixed that for you !

There is a cafe/bar in the gate area that BA normally leaves from. There isn't a lot, but there isn't nothing!
Old Mar 2, 2017, 4:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Foltan
At some airports you can check-in and drop your suitcase whenever the desk is open, and the TXL desk will be open at that time, so it might be worth a try as you're in CE too.
Thats what I thought, Ive checked it in very early before at other airports. But I don't want to drag my bag there to drag it back with me
Old Mar 2, 2017, 4:14 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by hungry
Thats a pain! At least by the sounds of it I can go to the lounge with my luggage before the check in opens, then get rid of the bag later.

Leave your case in with the hotel and collect it later
Old Mar 2, 2017, 6:10 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
Originally Posted by Foltan
They won't do that at TXL, they way it is set up with check in at the gate they will only take bags for the next flight departing from that gate. TXL is stretched and the gate only becomes available 90-120 mins before departure time.

The only exception is flying with LH where there is a facility for F&C passengers to check in early but that doesn't apply in this case.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
The key points are that TXL is very close to the centre and taxis are cheap. The airport is set up so you don't need to spend much time there (therefore there's not much to do). The check in is in front of your gate and you can be dropped off right outside the correct check-in area for your airline, this does mean that the check in desks are tied to the flight that is departing from that gate at the time.

If you're familiar with how it works TXL is a great airport as it minimises the time you need to spend there and is conveniently located.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 7:10 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
There is a cafe/bar in the gate area that BA normally leaves from. There isn't a lot, but there isn't nothing!
Do you mean before security ? I was referring to after....
I have only had the pleasure of a seating area with a 'display' of duty free goods being the only extra that I have ever seen after security.
Arrivals are worse TBH with little seating whilst waiting for your bags to appear on the carousel.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 7:11 am

There are also left luggage facilities at the airport or at the central train station (convenient for the TXL bus).
The railway staion that is convient for (next to) the start point for the TXL buses is Zoo, not Central.

If you decide to do a double trip to the airport, it will probably be worth buying an all-day bus ticket rather than three singles. That way you will also be able to take multiple bus and subway rides at no extra cost anywhere in the central zones.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by RGS5526
The railway staion that is convient for (next to) the start point for the TXL buses is Zoo, not Central.
This isn't correct. The TXL bus starts at Alexanderplatz and goes to Tegel via Hauptbahnhof (main station). The express bus from Zoo is the X9.

Depending on where you are in town, the fastest way to the airport is often to take the U6 north to Kurt-Schumacher-Platz and then bus 128 directly outside the station (follow the signs on the platform). The TXL and (to a lesser extent) X9 airport buses can get very crowded and, depending on the time of day, get stuck in traffic.

I would definitely echo the advice to see your mother off for her flight and return to Berlin for the rest of the day. The lounge at Tegel is small and dull.

Enjoy your time in this amazing city! I've lived here since June and love it.
mikem004 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.