Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Surprising my folks, suggestions of a LHR T3 destination

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2017, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder

So I brought my parents a BA Holiday to Prague leaving on the 13th March.

I am flying to Sydney Ex-OSL on the 15th, I've currently have a Avios positioning flight booked out on the 14th, but thinking of surprising them at the airport and guesting them into the lounge.

Any suggestions of a suitable T3 departure on the Monday departing mid-afternoon (I finish a night-shift the proceeding night, due to finish 0830) either as a day trip to then get my reward flight on the following day or an alternative routing to be in Osl on the 14th (where I've already booked a hotel) and I'll then cancel the reward flight.

Many thanks in advance.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 4:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
I'm guessing Prague doesn't work for you...?

No suggestion on your question, but highly recommend you take them to the Cathy lounge in T3.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Nice idea.

Am sure people will come up with flight suggestions, but what about alternatives that do not require you to fly out of T3:

1. Buy the cheapest one-way fare you can find out of T3 and do not fly it. (I assume you have status and your folks are flying club so you don't need a club flight to get access to lounges).

2. Buy a fully refundable J or F ticket, but again do not use it. Then move your OSL flight of 14th to 13th and stroll to T5 once you have brought your folks to their gate. Get your other flight refunded.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by GLABA
I'm guessing Prague doesn't work for you...?

No suggestion on your question, but highly recommend you take them to the Cathy lounge in T3.
Thanks for the reply, it is a possibility- LHR-PRG and then PRG-HEL-OSL would be £292 (seperate Y tickets)

Not sure my folks would necessarily appreciate me cramping their style on the first night of their holiday though, hence thinking of alternatives. The TPs/avios aren't important in this instance, but flying ?BA ?OW out of LHR is for the lounge access.

Originally Posted by Takiteasy
Nice idea.

Am sure people will come up with flight suggestions, but what about alternatives that do not require you to fly out of T3:

1. Buy the cheapest one-way fare you can find out of T3 and do not fly it. (I assume you have status and your folks are flying club so you don't need a club flight to get access to lounges).

2. Buy a fully refundable J or F ticket, but again do not use it. Then move your OSL flight of 14th to 13th and stroll to T5 once you have brought your folks to their gate. Get your other flight refunded.
Thanks for the points, hadn't thought about a fully refundable (can you refund it even if you've gone airside on the ticket? They are flying Y (at their request) but as GGL I should be able to guest them both in.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 4:13 pm

Can u guest both in?
Old Feb 23, 2017, 4:17 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The obvious ones are either VIE or BCN, both of which are easy to do back to back and are just before / after PRG. LUX is slightly more risky since you have to go landside, but it's often incredibly cheap, both base fare and any POUG, and it's a short flight.

Cathay would be good, but the GGL two guests facility doesn't apply there, but does at BA Flounge, and if your parents aren't regular lounge users then the dining area there will probably still impress. In any case they'll be happy just to see you I'm sure. However I guess you could slip away for a few minutes, pop next door to Cathay, deploy your innate charm on the reception ladies and it's possible they may agree to 2 guests.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 4:19 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by johnston21
Can u guest both in?
A GGL can guest two in to a BA lounge, so at T3 that means if you want two guests you need to use the BA lounge. When using the AA/CX lounges in T3 it is the normal OWE one guest limit.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The obvious ones are either VIE or BCN, both of which are easy to do back to back and are just before / after PRG. LUX is slightly more risky since you have to go landside, but it's often incredibly cheap, both base fare and any POUG, and it's a short flight.

Cathay would be good, but the GGL two guests facility doesn't apply there, but does at BA Flounge, and if your parents aren't regular lounge users then the dining area there will probably still impress. In any case they'll be happy just to see you I'm sure. However I guess you could slip away for a few minutes, pop next door to Cathay, deploy your innate charm on the reception ladies and it's possible they may agree to 2 guests.
Very Many thanks c-w-s, as always a font of knowledge!

I should probably also confess, although don't tell my parents who value their independence, but they aren't as young as they once were, and my mum is in a mobility scooter (which I have spoken to BA about and sorted the carriage of), but would be helpful if I was on hand for any issues or indeed disruption.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
A GGL can guest two in to a BA lounge, so at T3 that means if you want two guests you need to use the BA lounge. When using the AA/CX lounges in T3 it is the normal OWE one guest limit.
Appreciated, shows I never graduated to that level.

Last edited by johnston21; Feb 23, 2017 at 4:38 pm
Old Feb 23, 2017, 5:02 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by navylad
Thanks for the points, hadn't thought about a fully refundable (can you refund it even if you've gone airside on the ticket? They are flying Y (at their request) but as GGL I should be able to guest them both in.
Fully refundable applies as long as you do not board the plane, even if you are airside. Beware of certain flexible fares that look fully refundable but aren't (they get subjected to a £300 canx fee) - but presumably as a GGL you would not call in that trap 😀

Cheapest one ways that day from T3 are £83.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 6:59 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Takiteasy
Nice idea.

Call me old fashioned but what you are suggesting is an intentional abuse of the system.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
OK so your basically going to book a flight to ABUSE the lounge rules.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
As LHR-HEL is T3 (whether operated by BA or AY) is LHR-HEL-OSL not an option? There's enough flights on this route that there should be one convenient to the PRG departure.

As CWS says you can't get two guests into a non BA lounge but if your flight is after theirs I'd certainly pay it a visit if you've not before.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 11:35 pm

Is it worth all the hassle to guest your parents into T3 GF? It isn't that great a lounge to begin with...
Old Feb 24, 2017, 12:14 am
Original Poster

I think so, its not exactly a lot of hassle, my reasons are up thread and GF is a perfectly good lounge, particularly without the FT grey tinting spectacles on.

And I agree, I don't think I'll be booking a flight then cancelling it, it doesn't sit right with me but thanks for the suggestion in any case.

HEL is an option too, thanks for the suggestion, I'll tap in the suggestions to google flights later and book something this evening.

Many thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.