Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

4hr 10min delay on BA85 tonight [LHR-YVR 3 Feb 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2017, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever

I booked BA85 this week so i could do a nearly full day at work in London today and all was well (including a cheap AUP to F) until they tried to close the rear cargo door. The pilot deplaned us and then announced they will sub in a new plane ("we do have a spare jumbo kicking around here somewhere"). Now the new departure has been pushed back more and we are looking at a 4:10 delay and an arrival in YVR at 10:30pm (i started my day ar 5am in Brussels today). This puts a dent in my Saturday plans with my family down in Seattle so I am more than a bit annoyed. What is BA likely to throw me as compensation?

*sorry, on a mobile where search doesnt work so i could locate the appropriate exisiting thread.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: BAEC
I guess you should get the standard EU261 compesation, which is EUR 600, assuming you land in YVR over 4 hours late:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...3-archive.html
Old Feb 3, 2017, 11:36 am

Depends on whether or not the plane makes up time into YVR, but if doors open at YVR more than 4 hours after scheduled time, you'd be entitled to €600 cash under EC 261.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 11:38 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by stephem
I booked BA85 this week so i could do a nearly full day at work in London today and all was well (including a cheap AUP to F) until they tried to close the rear cargo door. The pilot deplaned us and then announced they will sub in a new plane ("we do have a spare jumbo kicking around here somewhere"). Now the new departure has been pushed back more and we are looking at a 4:10 delay and an arrival in YVR at 10:30pm (i started my day ar 5am in Brussels today). This puts a dent in my Saturday plans with my family down in Seattle so I am more than a bit annoyed. What is BA likely to throw me as compensation?

*sorry, on a mobile where search doesnt work so i could locate the appropriate exisiting thread.
I'm afraid absolutely nothing. Enjoy the CCR and soothe the furrowed brow.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I'm afraid absolutely nothing. Enjoy the CCR and soothe the furrowed brow.
Thanks. Cathay F lounge though, YVR flights leave from T3 ;-)

why nothing, i thought +4 hours arrival delay netted me EUR600?
Old Feb 3, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
If you're still air-side, then go see BA CS Desk and get them to write you a letter that says : BA have delayed your flight due to a technical fault. That way when it comes to claiming for EC 261 (assuming your flight is delayed by more than 4h), they won't b**ch about it and deny your claim.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 11:53 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Thanks. Cathay F lounge though, YVR flights leave from T3 ;-)

why nothing, i thought +4 hours arrival delay netted me EUR600?
Arrival, yes - not departure. Just because you leave over 4 hours late doesn't necessarily mean the time doors open at the destination will carry forward - in fact, with just 10 minutes' leeway over that flight distance, it's probably unlikely to be a long enough delay arrival to trigger the compensation because of a bit of timetable padding and the ability to make some time back over the long flying time.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 11:54 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
... why nothing, i thought +4 hours arrival delay netted me EUR600?
Your question was: What is BA likely to throw at you, sadly with the current management you have to beg and demand your statutory compensation (if applicable), which is likely to be refused at first (and perhaps second and third) instance with a false assertion that EC261 does not apply in your case.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold. EI GoldCircle
Google is telling me estimated arrival at 10:48 compared to scheduled arrival of 7pm.

Very tight on that one.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Your question was: What is BA likely to throw at you, sadly with the current management you have to beg and demand your statutory compensation (if applicable), which is likely to be refused at first (and perhaps second and third) instance with a false assertion that EC261 does not apply in your case.
ah, thanks. I will keep track of the numbers and know it takes 2-3 times to get BA to do anything.

Enjoying the grilled sea bass in the CX dining room. Now that the CX riff raff have left on their flight to HKG it is a bit more civilized in here ;-)
Old Feb 3, 2017, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HarryBA
Google is telling me estimated arrival at 10:48 compared to scheduled arrival of 7pm.

Very tight on that one.
will believe that when i see it!
Old Feb 3, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
YVR is experiencing departure delays of around 40 mins at the moment. However, it looks like -- according to FlightAware and BA's site -- BA85 has made up some time and is due to land an agonising half an hour before that 4 hour deadline.

Sounds like that's entertainment for a Friday night sorted: track the plane on its way to Canada and bite one's fingernails over "will he or won't he?"
Old Feb 3, 2017, 12:10 pm

Remember that an arrival delay between 3 and 4 hours will still render OP eligible for reduced compensation - 50% - which makes it 300EUR.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fontana
If you're still air-side, then go see BA CS Desk and get them to write you a letter that says : BA have delayed your flight due to a technical fault. That way when it comes to claiming for EC 261 (assuming your flight is delayed by more than 4h), they won't b**ch about it and deny your claim.
i went to the customer service desk in the BA F lounge just now, wow, I wish there were another option to the PacNW from here because I would switch to that. I nicely inquired about this suggestion. The woman first said "well you arent due anything, so I can't help you." She went into a long discussion about how it depended on whether it was a manufacturers defect or not. Whaa??? Then i dropped the pamphlet i had picked up at the reception that says "Your Rights" and asked her if she had ever read it. Then she said with an accusatory look "well, i have never tried to claim anything when my flights are late." So I just walked away, I'm in a nice mood and don't need to deal with that.

Holy crap, are you serious?! This person should never be allowed to staff the customer service desk for any class of service let alone F.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 12:57 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
i went to the customer service desk in the BA F lounge just now, wow, I wish there were another option to the PacNW from here because I would switch to that. I nicely inquired about this suggestion. The woman first said "well you arent due anything, so I can't help you." She went into a long discussion about how it depended on whether it was a manufacturers defect or not. Whaa??? Then i dropped the pamphlet i had picked up at the reception that says "Your Rights" and asked her if she had ever read it. Then she said with an accusatory look "well, i have never tried to claim anything when my flights are late." So I just walked away, I'm in a nice mood and don't need to deal with that.

Holy crap, are you serious?! This person should never be allowed to staff the customer service desk for any class of service let alone F.
There's really no point doing anything at all until you know your actual arrival time. Then - if appropriate - just go online and fill in your claim.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.