Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

flight with Air Berlin cancelled - rebooked on 4U - will I get my avios?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2017, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold

I should have known better, but I booked a flight on AirBerlin STR-TXL. In W, should get me 10 TP and 250avios.
Flight was cancelled and I was rebooked on Eurowings (LH group). Not only, i couldn't access (as BA Gold) lounge in Stuttgart anymore, I ask myself if I will get TPs/avios. not that it's a lot, and Gold is already done - so I dont really need them.
Any experiences ?
Old Jan 30, 2017, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Get miles on your favourite Star Alliance programme instead. I've found that, in these circumstances, it's often booked in a higher, and thus higher earning, booking class than the original ticket.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 2:14 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
ORC may be relevant to you, see the guide for more information https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...r-s-guide.html

Nothing to stop you double dipping and also crediting to a *A program too.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 3:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
You should get the ORC and can claim the A* points.

You could also refuse the rebooking and ask for an alternative flight, if you are unhappy with the lounge access situation. I have certainly done that with BA when they offered a rebooking on a non-OW airline which would have involved a five hour wait without lounge access.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 4:10 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
I've no real experience of this but the linked thread appear to cover AA mainly, and a supposedly clear policy by them to pay out ORC (via BAEC) if you are rerouted due to IRROPS. There is also a BAEC T&C about ORC if BA reroute you on to a non-partner airline, but I assume the OP here isn't ticketed by BA.

I can't see why BA would (or should) pay out avios and TPs themselves in these circumstances. They were going to be paid for those credits by AB, now they won't be paid for them by Eurowings, and BA aren't responsible to the OP for the schedule changes. It would have to be down to AB proactively covering the ORC, which seems very unlikely (compared to the deeper BA/AA links).
Old Jan 30, 2017, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by pauldb
I've no real experience of this but the linked thread appear to cover AA mainly, and a supposedly clear policy by them to pay out ORC (via BAEC) if you are rerouted due to IRROPS. There is also a BAEC T&C about ORC if BA reroute you on to a non-partner airline, but I assume the OP here isn't ticketed by BA.

I can't see why BA would (or should) pay out avios and TPs themselves in these circumstances. They were going to be paid for those credits by AB, now they won't be paid for them by Eurowings, and BA aren't responsible to the OP for the schedule changes. It would have to be down to AB proactively covering the ORC, which seems very unlikely (compared to the deeper BA/AA links).
ORC does seem to apply to non BA tickets, there have been posts from people who have got ORC based on AA tickets.

You'll note I said "may" be due ORC as I was trying to address the distinction you raise about IRROPS and schedule changes, albeit without going in to the detail. ORC really applies for IRROPS and involuntary reroutes, rather than re-routing due to schedule changes weeks or months out. It wasn't clear to me which of those apply here - it seems to be IRROPS but I am not sure, if it is something weeks out and the OP accepted the change to Eurowings I would agree ORC wouldn't apply.

Also as noted, even if ORC does apply here there is nothing to stop the OP also crediting to a *A program and double dipping.

Anyway, more information in the thread I linked to, and some previous noted from me here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27696747-post47.html
Old Jan 30, 2017, 5:08 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by pauldb

BA will be given money/credit by AB for it since they would normally have done so had the OP made the trip as scheduled.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 6:10 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by KARFA
Also as noted, even if ORC does apply here there is nothing to stop the OP also crediting to a *A program and double dipping.
Surely the fact that 4U are not a *A airline would stop this? I think you can credit to M&M but that is it I think.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by Jetstreamer
Surely the fact that 4U are not a *A airline would stop this? I think you can credit to M&M but that is it I think.
Sorry, had assumed they were an *A airline. In that case you can credit the 4U flight to whichever FFP is appropriate as long as it isn't a oneworld FFP, so sounds like LH M&M is your only option to double dip.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 10:47 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
Originally Posted by KARFA
Sorry, had assumed they were an *A airline. In that case you can credit the 4U flight to whichever FFP is appropriate as long as it isn't a oneworld FFP, so sounds like LH M&M is your only option to double dip.
Wrong.

On Germanwings/Eurowings you can claim miles on LH M&M, AC Aeroplan/Altitude, UA Mileage Plus or ANA Mileage Club. In addition they have their own Boomerang Club.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Dover2Golf
Wrong.

On Germanwings/Eurowings you can claim miles on LH M&M, AC Aeroplan/Altitude, UA Mileage Plus or ANA Mileage Club. In addition they have their own Boomerang Club.
Perhaps you and Jetstreamer can work this one out between you?

The principle of double dipping is correct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.