Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Daft meal question, flying F

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2017, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC (Silver), IHG (Plat Elite)
Daft meal question, flying F

Hi. I’ve read several post over the last few months, saying how bad/good F is, compared to yesteryear and other airlines etc., particularly with reference to the ME3 and far east airlines. Seems to be down to relentless cost cutting and poor crew morale.

A regular complaint is that the first choice of meal is not available, and in some case only one option is left. I’m sure one poor soul got no meal at all !
Am I not right in thinking that for most F routes, you can pre-order a specific meal long before you fly ? Would that not avoid all these issues ?
I only ask because I’ll shortly be embarking on my first First (well, on BA at least) and don’t want to be disappointed.
My wife also has a quandary. She requires a gluten free SPML, and has been disappointed in premium cabins in the past. Do you think she should take her chances and be left to the vagaries of a SPML, or am I right in thinking that YouFirst should be able to tell her the list of allergens in any meal she may be able to pre-order ?

Thanks in advance for all your collective advice.

Last edited by chris1922Mk2; Jan 25, 2017 at 9:11 am
Old Jan 25, 2017, 7:03 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by chris1922Mk2
Hi. I’ve read several post over the last few months, saying how bad/good F is, compared to yesteryear and other airlines etc., particularly with reference to the ME3 and far east airlines. Seems to be down to relentless cost cutting and poor crew morale.

A regular complaint is that the first choice of meal is not available, and in some case only one option is left. I’m sure one poor soul got no meal at all !
Am I not right in thinking that for most F routes, you can pre-order a specific meal long before you fly ? Would that not avoid all these issues ?
I only ask because I’ll shortly be embarking on my first First (well, on BA at least) and don’t want to be disappointed.
My wife also has a quandary. She requires a gluten free SPML, and has been disappointed in premium cabins the past. Do you think she should take her chances and be left to the vagaries of a SPML, or am I right in thinking that YouFirst should be able to tell her the list of allergens in any meal she may be able to pre-order ?

Thanks in advance for all your collective advice.
I have flown F a lot, generally in full cabins, both as a Gold and GGL and never not received my first meal.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 7:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M FF
I have, three times, on LHR-NRT. Now I always preorder, especially as the reduced menu (no Bistro selection any more) means that I might be faced with unappealing choices once my first choice is not available. I see absolutely no downside to preordering.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 7:17 am

I am flying to ATL next month in F, but BA.com is not giving me the option to preselect my meal. I cannot even see the menu.

I think the flight is operated by MF crew, so I assume that BA are waiting to see if any more strikes are announced. From previous comments it appears that we will get a Club W meal if we fly on a strike day.?
Old Jan 25, 2017, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by patentlyobvious
I have, three times, on LHR-NRT. Now I always preorder, especially as the reduced menu (no Bistro selection any more) means that I might be faced with unappealing choices once my first choice is not available. I see absolutely no downside to preordering.
So I can, and should, pre-order ?

Thanks for confirming. Assuming that is for the outbound from LHR, what about my inbound from BOS ? it's a night flight, so I don't know if I'm that bothered to be honest, so long as I can eat in the lounge before hand.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 7:33 am

I recently highlighted some of the issues that I expereinced when flying with BA in F regarding inflight dining:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ppointing.html

Based on the discussions following my post, I was able to conclude that meal preferences are distributed not based on the sequential time you place an order, but rather based on a passengers frequent flyer status (page 7, post #97). In my case this meant that another passenger (with a higher frequent flyer status than myself) was given my meal choice (that I had ordered before them).

Further, if you order a coffee there may be a delay in receiving this due to the inconvenience this may cause to the cabin crew (page 7, post #97).
Old Jan 25, 2017, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by twincheeks
I am flying to ATL next month in F, but BA.com is not giving me the option to preselect my meal. I cannot even see the menu
Are you within the 28/31 days whichever it is of the flight? I don't think pre-order is available for the next month whichever day you fly, it's the amount of time between now and flight which is relevant
Old Jan 25, 2017, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TurtleEyes
I recently highlighted some of the issues that I expereinced when flying with BA in F regarding inflight dining:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ppointing.html

Based on the discussions following my post, I was able to conclude that meal preferences are distributed not based on the sequential time you place an order, but rather based on a passengers frequent flyer status (page 7, post #97). In my case this meant that another passenger (with a higher frequent flyer status than myself) was given my meal choice (that I had ordered before them).

Further, if you order a coffee there may be a delay in receiving this due to the inconvenience this may cause to the cabin crew (page 7, post #97).
I did read your post TurtleEyes. Had either of you pre-ordered that specific meal ? Were you aware you could pre-order ?
Old Jan 25, 2017, 7:44 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
I think if the pre-order option is there, and if there's limited choice in what you might like, you should pre order. If you're happy with anything on the list, then wait and see on the day.

I pre-ordered as there was only one option I really liked the look of, so wanted to make sure I got it.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 7:54 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
... Further, if you order a coffee there may be a delay in receiving this due to the inconvenience this may cause to the cabin crew (page 7, post #97).
But that is a rather remote possibility.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 7:58 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I appreciate this was your experience which you have reported in the linked thread, but it isn't typical and it isn't my own experience. My experience is based on doing a fair number of F flights over the last year with BA.

Also, to get back to the OP's question, just to note that for all my F flights with BA I don't remember an instance where I haven't got my first choice.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Are you within the 28/31 days whichever it is of the flight? I don't think pre-order is available for the next month whichever day you fly, it's the amount of time between now and flight which is relevant
I fly on 16th Feb. have I missed the boat?

IIRC Ireceived an email for my previous flights in F.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by chris1922Mk2
I did read your post TurtleEyes. Had either of you pre-ordered that specific meal ? Were you aware you could pre-order ?
chris1922Mk2; it was just myself travelling and I had not pre-ordered in advance. I was aware of the option to pre-order a meal, however had I known such was the importance of this, I would have done so.

Whilst my advice would be to pre-order your meal, it would be interesting to know what would happen in the following scenario:

• We are aware that passenger A (with Gold FF status) can be given a meal passenger B (with Silver FF Status) ordered before them.

• However, would this ‘model of distribution’ be applied if passenger B had pre-ordered their meal, whereas passenger A had not?

Perhaps some other members can offer their thoughts on this.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 8:24 am
Original Poster

chris1922Mk2; it was just myself travelling and I had not pre-ordered in advance. I was aware of the option to pre-order a meal, however had I known such was the importance of this, I would have done so.

Whilst my advice would be to pre-order your meal, it would be interesting to know what would happen in the following scenario:

• We are aware that passenger A (with Gold FF status) can be given a meal passenger B (with Silver FF Status) ordered before them.

• However, would this ‘model of distribution’ be applied if passenger B had pre-ordered their meal, whereas passenger A had not?

Perhaps some other members can offer their thoughts on this.
Ah, I meant the other pax, who got your meal choice. I wondered if they had pre-ordered that specific dish.
For info, I'm a Blue and will be on a redemption flight so wouldn't fancy my chances !
I'll pre-order once able to. Can I pre-order my return flight too, or is it only flights catered from base ?
Old Jan 25, 2017, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The one specific piece of information I can add is that rightly or wrongly, making coffee on the 787-9, which uses a drip process, is incredibly slow and cumbersome for the crew, but that doesn't excuse what happened to you here.
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
But that is a rather remote possibility.
Two flights taken with BA in F; 09.16 and 11.16:

• LHR - KUL; (i) >50 minute wait for a cappuccino and (ii) not being given my subsequent order with my breakfast.
  • KUL - LHR; cappuccino not available due to (alleged) issues with espresso machine.

Last edited by TurtleEyes; Jan 25, 2017 at 8:49 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.