Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly: Back in BA First after a 3 year absence

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly: Back in BA First after a 3 year absence

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2017, 12:41 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
A fair enough report on BA F. I think the OP was unlucky with the noisy visitors, can only think of one or two occasions I've seen that. I like the idea of using the wardrobe door to create more privacy, will have to try that next time (well, if BA doesn't want to develop the product, consumers have to get creative )
Old Jan 23, 2017, 2:38 am

Seems like the OP has had a fairly representative set of flights. Crew can be excellent and just about drag the subpar seats and lounges off the bottom rung, or they can be terrible and make you wonder why you bothered.

For all the nonsense about other airlines and their unfair advantages, as long as BA has the biggest one of them all (LHR) nothing much will change.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by scillyisles
It is always nice to read a trip report from an experienced LH F flyer who is able to set the BA F experience in proper perspective as opposed to our Tesco Clubcard F redemption flyers.
Good morning from a Tesco Ted! A bit late to comment on this post but I've been busy in the cheese aisle.

In the last three and a half years I have flown 14 times in F, but only three flights with BA with the last being in December 2013. Of the other 11 I've used JL the most as well as EY, CX and MH. Alas I have not experienced LH as Tesco does not appear to have any sort of link with them, mores the pity. So even us redemptionists have taste.

Incidentally, don't you think a nice processed cheese square embellished with salad cream would make an exciting addition to the afternoon tea sandwich selection?
Old Jan 23, 2017, 4:13 am

And thank you for the review SFO777; it was very interesting. Made me want to try BA again, perhaps to Cape Town as the military man from Jersey (sorry, forgotten his username) wrote a very good report of his trip there. Maybe I'll try an F to South Africa.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 4:24 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR , HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DoctorCopper
Sylwia is delightful, as indeed are many of the other waitstaff in the CCR. The furnishings in the CCR could at best be described as 'shabby chic'; the sort one might find in a British stately home. In reality, they are worn and dirty. As mentioned in another thread are due to be replaced in the next few months. Doc. Copper
Totally agree with you! Sylwia is delightful and an absolute star.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Jan 23, 2017 at 4:38 am Reason: Remove sentence about individual's personal circumstances
Old Jan 23, 2017, 5:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Greenpen
Good morning from a Tesco Ted! A bit late to comment on this post but I've been busy in the cheese aisle.

In the last three and a half years I have flown 14 times in F, but only three flights with BA with the last being in December 2013. Of the other 11 I've used JL the most as well as EY, CX and MH. Alas I have not experienced LH as Tesco does not appear to have any sort of link with them, mores the pity. So even us redemptionists have taste.

Incidentally, don't you think a nice processed cheese square embellished with salad cream would make an exciting addition to the afternoon tea sandwich selection?
I've always pondered on whether you'd get a better class of redemptionists if Waitrose offered an incentive? Probably be a bit more tutting and silent seething at the gross injustices that they would have to endure in a cabin that is barely fit to carry cattle to the slaughterhouse.

I love your idea of the cheese square, it would make a fine replacement for the amuse-bouche that went missing in action late last year
Old Jan 23, 2017, 6:38 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
How "Special" should the F experience be?

How special should the experience of First be? Whilst I have never understood the need to be shown to one's seat - it is quite difficult to get lost on a plane, even a 380, some things should be quite special.

For those people/employers who have paid serious money for an F seat, some sort of special treatment would seem appropriate.

This would not apply to Tesco tourists like me, of course. One has to have standards.

However, one person's special treatment is another person's annoyance. For instance, a friend of mine's boss had one of the Premier cards, and got so fed up of being fawned over that he asked the person organising Travel to get rid of the card.

What should one expect, and what should be optional? I would want Manoir Quat Saison food and wine served with a smile in a Clean and fresh environment, and an excellent bed with proper Egyptian Cotton Duvet and mattress. Beyond that, I am not clear what would persuade me to pay for First tickets on BA.
Indeed, my standards are so low that I thought that the CX Business long haul Hard product would be a good base.............
Old Jan 23, 2017, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
How special should the experience of First be? Whilst I have never understood the need to be shown to one's seat - it is quite difficult to get lost on a plane, even a 380, some things should be quite special.

For those people/employers who have paid serious money for an F seat, some sort of special treatment would seem appropriate.

This would not apply to Tesco tourists like me, of course. One has to have standards.

However, one person's special treatment is another person's annoyance. For instance, a friend of mine's boss had one of the Premier cards, and got so fed up of being fawned over that he asked the person organising Travel to get rid of the card.

What should one expect, and what should be optional? I would want Manoir Quat Saison food and wine served with a smile in a Clean and fresh environment, and an excellent bed with proper Egyptian Cotton Duvet and mattress. Beyond that, I am not clear what would persuade me to pay for First tickets on BA.
Indeed, my standards are so low that I thought that the CX Business long haul Hard product would be a good base.............
You hit the nail on the head - it's all very subjective. Some people are incredulous that you're not met by a limo at the foot of the stairs, others are happy to pay to get the extra space and privacy.

Personally, I do pay to travel First when I can justify it, although never to places like LAX where the price is off the scale. That said it's either sale fares, ex-EU, or doing an AUP (which, for a few hundred quid makes it very good value in my mind on >10 hour flight). Paying £10k+ I'd be very unhappy with what I was getting, e.g. it's not exactly La Première
Old Jan 23, 2017, 7:02 am

Programs: BAEC, VS, Marriott, HH, Hertz PC
Nice report SFO777!

I too have been nervously awaiting the BA F installment of your latest TR, which is, as always, top notch.

Always interesting to hear some of the grumbles regularly mentioned on here highlighted by someone who isn't a regular in BA F/CCR.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 7:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
On the reference to Tesco tourists and the general matter of Avios redemption for F class travel, I venture to suggest that many carriers - not just BA, in fairness - can so easily lose sight of the 'true' purpose of making these benefits available to begin with. And the same applies, in part (given that there are of course other circumstances at play) to airport op-ups too. And because of this lack of focus, airlines end up doing themselves an injustice.

Any self-respecting airline (likewise hotel, where room/suite upgrades are concerned) should be keen to showcase a standard of hard product & service quality in the F cabin such that those who are there without having paid with (their own) hard cash would disembark the aircraft thinking to themselves "Wow....that was sooo good, I'd be willing to pay, occasionally, to travel F in the future".

Sadly, the reaction is very often rather different. Along the lines of ..."Hmm, that was much nicer than travelling in economy, or even biz. BUT definitely not good enough to pay for ....."

PS ... Couldn't help a wry smile at Lucanesque's mention of 'Waitrose redemptionists'
Old Jan 23, 2017, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Greenpen
And thank you for the review SFO777; it was very interesting. Made me want to try BA again, perhaps to Cape Town as the military man from Jersey (sorry, forgotten his username) wrote a very good report of his trip there. Maybe I'll try an F to South Africa.
"Uncle T" nods graciously in appreciation

Sadly the LGW-CPT option doesn't have F, so we shall have to 'enjoy' CW again in December (having just grabbed 2-4-1* availability again ). The LHR-CPT option is sufficiently inconvenient to dissuade me from aiming for F, although I confess I didn't specifically check.

* I thank iWife for her Waitrose expenditure at 1.5 Avios/£, which contributes to the HHA

Last edited by T8191; Jan 23, 2017 at 8:05 am
Old Jan 23, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: Meh
Reminds of an obnoxious German telling me (1A) and the chap I just met on board (1k) to basically shut up. I had seen this guy in the lounge shout at a worker for the coffee machine being dirty (BLR lounge). Ironically the same guy brought his son up for a chat later in the flight.

By the way we ignored him and continued our brief chat, before going about our business. I actually felt sorry for him, and he was a bitter man.

If I was being bothered so much I would ask the crew to have a word to avoid direct confrontation.

Anyway interesting TR.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Lucanesque
You hit the nail on the head - it's all very subjective.
Yes, just like everything else. I love a Kit Kat but I'm sure there are plenty of people who prefer a Breakaway instead.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Yes, just like everything else. I love a Kit Kat but I'm sure there are plenty of people who prefer a Breakaway instead.
Yes, but they are wrong. A Kit Kat is clearly superior.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: BA Gold; MB Ti; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; RR Gold
Originally Posted by Lucanesque
Yes, but they are wrong. A Kit Kat is clearly superior.
You're both mistaken, the Time Out is the choice for the discerning person in need of a chocolate-wafer break.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.