FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1814441-buy-board-experiences-reactions-bas-shorthaul-economy-service.html)

subject2load Mar 1, 2018 4:45 am

Originally Posted by Bar Operator (Post 29472229)

I've not heard anything about the potential for pre-ordering BOB. In the meantime, if you want a guaranteed snack or drink on the plane I would consider purchasing something from the vendors at the airport, where available. ..................................Unfortunately the Company have still not got round to loading sufficient stocks of food and drink onboard, and I have my doubts whether they ever will, especially on the higher demand routes.

Agreed : I think if they were going to get it right, they would have done so by now, around 14 months in.

Hard to know whether the inadequate stocking often reported is down to BA, their suppliers M&S, Tourvest as the ‘operator’ of BoB - or perhaps a combination of all three. Whichever it may be, the fact remains that British Airways is the name on the side of all the aircraft, and are the people who ultimately pocket the money from your fare.

Wasn’t aware of the EasyJet pre-order option, but it does sound good. My own best BoB pre-order experience has been on Air Asia (aboard which hot meals, as many will know, are commendable in terms of quality+efficiency+choice+value).

As much as BA would do well to take a leaf from EasyJet’s approach to catering .... just can’t see it happening any time soon.

nordic Mar 12, 2018 4:24 pm

On two recent flights I bought a cup of tea and asked for a cup of tap water. There was a minimum interaction on the flight operated by Eurofleet (Always thought that EF was better) and no smiles. Even the requested water was ignored.

The second flight operated by MF was much better. The service was friendly but the request for water was forgotten but later I had a possibility to ask once again and it was brought immediately. In this flight the CSM came to welcome me as a Gold member and even asked if I liked to have coffee or tea or something else from up front. After hesitation I asked if a glass of champagne was an option she smiled and brought it to me. During deplaning she said good bye and see you soon.

I don’t want to generalize and I admit that there can be both great and bad crews both in the the eurofleet and MF. The service of free tap water is not Well organized. I think that champagne helped but even without that the interaction by the crew can be a hit or a miss. If I had not bought anything the only interaction would have been by the door.

BrianDromey Mar 12, 2018 5:07 pm

It may be that Mixed Fleet have a slight advantage in delivering the BoB Service over EuroFleet. They may have worked for other BoB airlines in the past or simply never known the previous complementary offer.

icegirl Apr 24, 2018 2:47 pm

I have just returned on flying with TAP Portugal which is classified as a full service carrier. On the short haul service to Porto from LGW return the offering was lackluster to say the least. Both ways it consisted of a roll, sweet and a drink. Departing from Gatwick you also an additional 'frais' drink included as well. Their bar was very basic and you had the option of a splash of coke, juice, wine, tea, coffee, water. Given my experience of this and BA BoB I would still take the BoB as I felt it was better overall.

tuff Apr 27, 2018 2:30 am

Just when I thought they had sorted out their problems with not stocking enough goods.....on mylast two flights they only had one bottle of the cheap red wine (I like two) and on both flights the cabin crew advised me that had been the norm recently for them. I had to buy the two (more expensive) bottles instead.

tuff Apr 29, 2018 2:39 pm

Fourth flight this month without the basic red wine on board.

lostinlondon Apr 30, 2018 1:56 am

Originally Posted by tuff (Post 29696794)
Fourth flight this month without the basic red wine on board.

Had that LHR-NCE on Friday. CC said they hadn't seen it for days. Frustrating to have to pay more for something which effectively - at altitude - has no difference in quality, only price.

Flexible preferences Apr 30, 2018 2:19 am

Originally Posted by lostinlondon (Post 29698207)
Had that LHR-NCE on Friday. CC said they hadn't seen it for days. Frustrating to have to pay more for something which effectively - at altitude - has no difference in quality, only price.

Are you are referring to those two specific wines? It is just that if you are making a wider point, then I wouldn't agree, as what would have been the point of the Concorde Cellar or indeed any of the finer wines in F...? :)

ThatT1Feeling Apr 30, 2018 3:33 am

No hot food available CPH-LHR last Thursday evening.
It was a rammed-full A321 with only 5 or 6 rows of CE - so about as many ET pax as BA can get on a shorthaul service (other than the 767s), and apparently all of the hot food was consumed on the outbound flight. Could have been a real moneyspinner for BA if they'd been a little more brave about how much they loaded onto the flight.

lostinlondon Apr 30, 2018 3:50 am

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences (Post 29698234)
Are you are referring to those two specific wines? It is just that if you are making a wider point, then I wouldn't agree, as what would have been the point of the Concorde Cellar or indeed any of the finer wines in F...? :)

I am indeed referring to the 'El Cheapo' GSM and 'Bargain Basement' Shiraz :P

GaxxyFlyer Apr 30, 2018 3:52 am

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling (Post 29698326)
It was a rammed-full A321 with only 5 or 6 rows of CE - so about as many ET pax as BA can get on a shorthaul service (other than the 767s), and apparently all of the hot food was consumed on the outbound flight. Could have been a real moneyspinner for BA if they'd been a little more brave about how much they loaded onto the flight.

Remember that this is nothing to do with service for customers or even earning money. This is only about removing a cost center, not having a liability and placing the financial risk of sales onto a third party. Flying short haul aircraft is now cheaper for BA, cost cutting is part of their DNA.

BA6948 Apr 30, 2018 7:32 am

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling (Post 29698326)

Do you think BA cares about providing hot options for Economy passengers? The idea is to cram more seats on short-hauls, reduce galley space and stock as little as possible to avoid wastage. It is going to be hit and miss with BoB. Not that it is not like that in premium classes.

ThatT1Feeling Apr 30, 2018 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by BA6948 (Post 29698848)
Do you think BA cares about providing hot options for Economy passengers? The idea is to cram more seats on short-hauls, reduce galley space and stock as little as possible to avoid wastage. It is going to be hit and miss with BoB. Not that it is not like that in premium classes.

So the logical extension is that BA won't provide any options going forward? That would resolve the galley space issue in a stroke. At the moment it's a poor experience which is neither one thing nor another.

Ldnn1 May 24, 2018 3:34 am

Originally Posted by CaroFos (Post 27740481)
Where I shall be getting my lemon melt fix!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/d/87d/Island...+island+bakery

Originally Posted by MickV (Post 27774008)
Oh for the love of a lemon melt.

For all you lemon melt lovers out there... it seems there is ample stock in the meeting rooms of Norton Rose in More London. I may have partaken yesterday :D

skipness1E May 24, 2018 5:30 am

BA1434 last Friday, moderately full B767, crew got as far as Row 32 before the 10 minutes to landing call....
It's amateur hour frankly.