Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2017, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by BA6948
Back to BA, there are rumors (Galley FM) that M&S might be dropped as it is not working well and replaced with a less posh offering.
Aldi?
Old Oct 13, 2017, 7:08 am

Programs: BAEC
...Back to BA, there are rumors (Galley FM) that M&S might be dropped as it is not working well and replaced with a less posh offering.
Ha. Yes. Blame M&S for the lack of stock and availability and the slow customer service...
florens and gingeola like this.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold

Back to BA, there are rumors (Galley FM) that M&S might be dropped as it is not working well and replaced with a less posh offering.
How many people actually regard the M&S BoB items as 'posh' anyway

They have some interesting dishes in their (main) stores. But their sandwiches seem to me to be not that different from those found in many supermarkets : perfectly acceptable for a quick snack, but mass-produced and nothing really special or memorable.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 12:47 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by subject2load
How many people actually regard the M&S BoB items as 'posh' anyway

They have some interesting dishes in their (main) stores. But their sandwiches seem to me to be not that different from those found in many supermarkets : perfectly acceptable for a quick snack, but mass-produced and nothing really special or memorable.
Are those buying BoB looking for something special or memorable? Do other modes of transport offer special or memorable fare? I would have thought sustenance was the goal rather than a culinary experience?
HIDDY likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 1:07 pm

I can't remember the last time I had a memorable sandwich.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Are those buying BoB looking for something special or memorable? Do other modes of transport offer special or memorable fare? I would have thought sustenance was the goal rather than a culinary experience?
Well, at any rate, some other airlines which have decided to try and use food and beverage as ancillary products do think some might. As mentioned by others, OS's "Do and Co a la Carte" has some options which, compared to BA, are verging on the spectacular. It is not unconceivable that there might be a market for those at least on former band 4 flights with a pre-order option. Even the likes of SN, not known for particularly hot cuisine carry a few fancy options - including several salads and a chestnut gratin! (not to mention Belgian fries...). As for OK, apart from a number of 'gourmet' options, they offer Y pax the possibility to buy their C meal for a fee, which has the advantage of being cheap to procure for an airline.

It also seems to me that BA's belief does not seem to be that customers only want sustainance based on their BoB menu: there is, after all, a significant emphasis on alcoholic drinks including Champagne, hardly a sign of thinking that customers will only focus on basic necessities. I mean, if there are customers to buy BA's over-priced BoB champagne (£16 for a half bottle of monopole), then presumably, those same customers might be tempted to something a little bit more extravagant than a cheese and ham sandwich or a packet of those ghastly percy pigs especially with a pre-order option.

I have no idea if the BoB market is 'basic needs' or 'extravagant pleasures' since I'm not really in the market for BoB myself, but arguably, BA is a little 'in between' here and I'll admit that the 'posh drinks but basic food' is not the most intuitive combination to understand.
710 77345, mrow and subject2load like this.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 1:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Nor have I unless I made it myself.

Although I often wish I could get my gnashers round an M&S Prawn Mayo sandwich here.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
I can, and I'm not a sandwich person by nature. Most trips to the US include at least one or two spectacular sandwich offerings, I occasionally crave sandwiches at home and have fun with my own creations, many a French bakery offers some sandwiches that one would cross the city to return to, and there are quite a few gorgeous 'ethnic' sandwiches to be found all over London too!

PS: You've made me horrrrribly craving for a pastrami sandwich at Artie's! (which I personally prefer to Katz's) and I need to wait a couple of weeks before I get my next one!

Last edited by orbitmic; Oct 13, 2017 at 2:11 pm
Old Oct 13, 2017, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Nor have I unless I made it myself.

Although I often wish I could get my gnashers round an M&S Prawn Mayo sandwich here.
Ah yes a true classic, thanks for reminding me

Originally Posted by orbitmic
I can, and I'm not a sandwich person by nature. Most trips to the US include at least one or two spectacular sandwich offerings, I occasionally crave sandwiches at home and have fun with my own creations, many a French bakery offers some sandwiches that one would cross the city to return to, and there are quite a few gorgeous 'ethnic' sandwiches to be found all over London too!
^
Old Oct 13, 2017, 2:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

Perhaps 'sustenance' is indeed the goal for many short haul travellers.

But that's a long way from how BA chose to portray things when they first launched their particular version of BoB (which, of course, allegedly came into being directly in response to customer feedback).

There was nothing understated or low-key about the original announcement - seemingly composed by a member of their PR team just moments after he/she had swallowed a dictionary.

The breathless announcement contains no mention of 'sustenance' - but it certainly includes the word 'special' ; along with other hyperbole such as heritage, innovation, passion and incredible. Not to mention 'inflight dining experience' too (er ...which BA did manage to mention!)

"British Airways is proud to be partnering with Marks & Spencer to offer an exciting new menu on all short haul flights to and from London Heathrow and London Gatwick.

Quality, innovation and choice are the hallmarks at the very heart of the M&S Food brand. Rich in heritage and with a commitment to 'making every moment special', echoing our own passion and ethos for service, we’re excited to bring you this new inflight dining experience - offering you a range of great value,
incredible food prepared for your convenience and enjoyment."

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...7C%7C%7C%7C%7C
Old Oct 13, 2017, 3:59 pm

But that's a long way from how BA chose to portray things when they first launched their particular version of BoB (which, of course, allegedly came into being directly in response to customer feedback).

There was nothing understated or low-key about the original announcement - seemingly composed by a member of their PR team just moments after he/she had swallowed a dictionary.

The breathless announcement contains no mention of 'sustenance' - but it certainly includes the word 'special' ; along with other hyperbole such as heritage, innovation, passion and incredible. Not to mention 'inflight dining experience' too (er ...which BA did manage to mention!)

"British Airways is proud to be partnering with Marks & Spencer to offer an exciting new menu on all short haul flights to and from London Heathrow and London Gatwick.

Quality, innovation and choice are the hallmarks at the very heart of the M&S Food brand. Rich in heritage and with a commitment to 'making every moment special', echoing our own passion and ethos for service, we’re excited to bring you this new inflight dining experience - offering you a range of great value,

Not sure that was my question?
Old Oct 13, 2017, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BA are all fur coat and no knickers? No way... Hate Speech that is.

Its stated on the Gold welcome letter that "Galleries First" lounge is 'an oasis of calm'. Henceforth I have called it the "Oasis of Calm" because thats what it is, 100% fact. I would love to come up with this stuff, I am an expert at talking hot air, I could take over from Alex.
bafan likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 4:15 pm

Well, at any rate, some other airlines which have decided to try and use food and beverage as ancillary products do think some might. As mentioned by others, OS's "Do and Co a la Carte" has some options which, compared to BA, are verging on the spectacular. It is not unconceivable that there might be a market for those at least on former band 4 flights with a pre-order option. Even the likes of SN, not known for particularly hot cuisine carry a few fancy options - including several salads and a chestnut gratin! (not to mention Belgian fries...). As for OK, apart from a number of 'gourmet' options, they offer Y pax the possibility to buy their C meal for a fee, which has the advantage of being cheap to procure for an airline.

It also seems to me that BA's belief does not seem to be that customers only want sustainance based on their BoB menu: there is, after all, a significant emphasis on alcoholic drinks including Champagne, hardly a sign of thinking that customers will only focus on basic necessities. I mean, if there are customers to buy BA's over-priced BoB champagne (£16 for a half bottle of monopole), then presumably, those same customers might be tempted to something a little bit more extravagant than a cheese and ham sandwich or a packet of those ghastly percy pigs especially with a pre-order option.

I have no idea if the BoB market is 'basic needs' or 'extravagant pleasures' since I'm not really in the market for BoB myself, but arguably, BA is a little 'in between' here and I'll admit that the 'posh drinks but basic food' is not the most intuitive combination to understand.
All that may be, but that wasn’t what I asked.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 5:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
I would be a huge fan of something like Do & Co's a la carte menu. A hot meal on the way back from a long day would be incredibly valuable.
headingwest likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 12:14 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci

PS: You've made me horrrrribly craving for a pastrami sandwich at Artie's! (which I personally prefer to Katz's) and I need to wait a couple of weeks before I get my next one!
Last week. Crusty baguette, still warm from the bakery. Drizzled with olive oil and garlic. Thick slices of deep red, local heirloom tomatoes. Basil leaves grown next to the tomatoes. Mozzarella cheese.

Not exactly suitable for airline food, unless they provided bibs and vinyl gloves, followed by a hot towel!

I think just about any M&S or supermarket sandwich would be better than the nasty CE sandwich offerings.
rtwflyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.