FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1814439-buy-board-information-guide-ba-shorthaul-economy-services.html)

corporate-wage-slave Jan 12, 2017 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Deltus (Post 27751440)
Is the tonic water served with ice and lemon?

Yes it is, on request. It was also offered for my sparkling water.

bwaflyer Jan 12, 2017 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Jonrross (Post 27750947)
Interesting how Bronze,Silver, and Gold don't need the app. I guess this casts doubt on the "wiggle the app" suggestions as a way to verify people's Avios balance. Presumably they're relying on anyone with status making up the Avios later (if not in credit).

Simply because those levels have a physical card, Blue level doesn't. Bronze and higher can use the app, or we can type your number in. There's no on line check of your Avios balance. If you go overdrawn, it's expected that you'll soon earn some Avios to cover the overdraft. No idea what Executive Club will do if you just run up a massive overdraft. Who wants to be the first to try??!!

bafan Jan 12, 2017 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 27751474)
Yes it is, on request. It was also offered for my sparkling water.

But you presumably don't get it with the free 'tap water' ?

McCoy Jan 12, 2017 6:19 pm

Just to clarify, there are no exceptions for pax on First itineraries?

We fly SIN-LHR-EDI in First in a few days, and we would have to pay for a coffee on the domestic sector?
Seriously?

elitetraveler Jan 12, 2017 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by McCoy (Post 27752196)

We fly SIN-LHR-EDI in First in a few days, and we would have to pay for a coffee on the domestic sector?
Seriously?

Correct -- When BA introduces domestic business class that problem will go away but there is no short-term "make good." You'll be treated the same as everyone in Y.

philthegreek Jan 12, 2017 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by Deltus (Post 27751440)
Is the tonic water served with ice and lemon? If we bring our own miniatures, can we get a convenient G&T for a cheap £1.50?

Wouldn't this be in breach of aviation law?

Smid Jan 13, 2017 1:48 am

Originally Posted by philthegreek (Post 27752996)
Wouldn't this be in breach of aviation law?

Bringing your own booze onboard? Appears not, I asked earlier in the thread, and its fine with BA.

Of course, there's now a gap in the market for a BA 100ml hip flask. Perhaps with a prize for first spotted confirmation of one of those being filled in GF (might be harder to do subtly than say GC T5B)..

florens Jan 13, 2017 1:50 am

Thanks cws!

Calchas Jan 13, 2017 3:14 am

Originally Posted by McCoy (Post 27752196)

Seriously?

That's right

Deltus Jan 13, 2017 3:25 am

Has anyone tried to claim a refund for their BoB purchases on flights booked before BoB was announced? I eventually extracted my 1k avios "compensation" from CR last year, but obviously that's not close to covering the cost of several drinks on multiple bookings. Any insights into what CR will do if I send them the receipts from my first BoB flights next week?

Calchas Jan 13, 2017 3:28 am

Originally Posted by Deltus (Post 27753875)
Any insights into what CR will do if I send them the receipts from my first BoB flights next week?

How much experience do you have in extracting blood from stones? ;)

stifle Jan 13, 2017 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas (Post 27750441)
From what I am aware, apple pay is exactly the same as contactless without the payment limit, so i don't see why it wouldn't be accepted.

All Apple Pay transactions except Mass Transit go online for authorisation, to verify that the underlying card is still good and the device hasn't been stolen. (A physical card does not need to do this as after more than a certain value or number of contactless transactions it will require a chip & PIN transaction to be conducted before any more contactless transactions will work.) As the onboard equipment cannot go online it will not, as I understand it, accept mobile-based payment applications.

Originally Posted by Jonrross (Post 27750947)
Interesting how Bronze,Silver, and Gold don't need the app. I guess this casts doubt on the "wiggle the app" suggestions as a way to verify people's Avios balance. Presumably they're relying on anyone with status making up the Avios later (if not in credit).

They don't issue cards to blue members any more AFAIK.

Prospero Jan 14, 2017 2:20 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Calling all ye tomato juice lovers :)

You may have noticed there isn’t a tomato juice on the BOB menu. There is however a pre-mixed spiced tomato juice concoction. Its called Big Tom and you may already be aware of it as you’ll find Big Tom in most supermarkets in the UK. It even carries the Royal Warrant.

So if you order a Big Tom, you’ll receive a 150ml serving plus the usual cup loaded with ice and lemon. There is no option to add a dash of Lea & Perrins.

My own verdict: Big Tom lacks the freshness of the old Sunpride Tomato Juice (with the familiar ice, spice, n slice accoutrement). Its also very high in sodium - five times higher than Sunpride. As a matter of fact I found it also tastes incredibly salty and after drinking, it knokcked my tastebuds a little out of whack - to restore balance I’ve been chugging stupid amounts of water all evening.

The 150ml serving costs £1.50 or 200 Avios. Order with caution :)

orbitmic Jan 14, 2017 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Prospero (Post 27761369)
Calling all ye tomato juice lovers :)

You may have noticed there isn’t a tomato juice on the BOB menu. There is however a pre-mixed spiced tomato juice concoction. Its called Big Tom and you may already be aware of it as you’ll find Big Tom in most supermarkets in the UK. It even carries the Royal Warrant.

So if you order a Big Tom, you’ll receive a 150ml serving plus the usual cup loaded with ice and lemon. There is no option to add a dash of Lea & Perrins.

My own verdict: Big Tom lacks the freshness of the old Sunpride Tomato Juice (with the familiar ice, spice, n slice accoutrement). Its also very high in sodium - five times higher than Sunpride. As a matter of fact I found it also tastes incredibly salty and after drinking, it knokcked my tastebuds a little out of whack - to restore balance I’ve been chugging stupid amounts of water all evening.

The 150ml serving costs £1.50 or 200 Avios. Order with caution :)

Doesn't sound tempting. Reminds me of AA and their insistence to serve me their Mr T rather than the regular tomato juice 50% of the time I ask for the later. That stuff always seems to have the salt contents of all the salares in the entire Atacama desert...

T8191 Jan 15, 2017 3:46 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by orbitmic (Post 27761458)
Doesn't sound tempting. Reminds me of AA and their insistence to serve me their Mr T rather than the regular tomato juice 50% of the time I ask for the later. That stuff always seems to have the salt contents of all the salares in the entire Atacama desert...

Mr & Mrs T, please :)

YMMV clearly applies, as we like it.