FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1814439-buy-board-information-guide-ba-shorthaul-economy-services.html)

YClass Apr 19, 2017 3:50 pm

They really should just have a simpler menu for ultra short haul. Give everyone a chance to get something.

BA6501 Apr 19, 2017 4:32 pm

So three in total, assuming the landside one is still there?!

subject2load Apr 19, 2017 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by YClass (Post 28202469)
They really should just have a simpler menu for ultra short haul. Give everyone a chance to get something.

Not sure whether a simpler menu, in itself, would be the solution ; although I agree it could perhaps help in ensuring that everyone who does want something to drink and/or eat actually gets served before the familiar prepare-for-landing chime.

I think the more fundamental problem is that very little thought, seemingly, went into the planning, logistics and implementation of BoB overall. The driver was more about saving money than how efficient the service to passengers might be, and there was a reluctance to learn from LCC's who've been at it from day one and who therefore have it sussed.

Earlier this month I took a short Air Asia sector. It was only 1hr 25 min block time (and on the day took about 15 mins less ..... Singapore /Kuching). At booking stage you could pre-order a hot meal. I can manage very happily without food on such sectors, but decided to test out the system. Just 15 mins after take-off I was presented with my selected dish of kabali vegetable biryani, which had cost me the grand total of 4 Sing dollars, with free cup of mineral water included on the tray. This was all on a near-full A321.

If you're sufficiently motivated & focused as an organisation - and if the culture is there - things can be made to work.

HilFly Apr 19, 2017 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by YClass (Post 28202469)

You mean like the same sandwich / meal, plus vegetarian option, available for everybody, and to save time, they don't charge? @:-);)

CocoPops May 5, 2017 2:10 pm

No beer or cider loaded on todays lunchtime flight from LIS to LHR.

funkydim Jun 13, 2017 9:53 am

Can anyone tell me how BA define short and long haul?
I have a flight to Tenerife coming up and want to know if I need to bring my hip flask and buy a Boots meal deal for the 4.5 hour flight.
Surely over 4 hours counts as long haul...I mean I know Tenerife is technically a European island but its off the coast of Western Africa!

Skipcool3 Jun 13, 2017 9:58 am

Canary Islands are shorthaul.
Moscow is long haul which is much closer.
BA market economy as Euro traveller for short haul with BOB. And World travelled for long.
So pack your hip flask and Pret take away...

Longest Euro traveller flight is probably back from Cyprus which can be a very weary 5hours with BOB!!

ENTP Jun 13, 2017 10:02 am

Originally Posted by funkydim (Post 28437104)
Can anyone tell me how BA define short and long haul?
I have a flight to Tenerife coming up and want to know if I need to bring my hip flask and buy a Boots meal deal for the 4.5 hour flight.
Surely over 4 hours counts as long haul...I mean I know Tenerife is technically a European island but its off the coast of Western Africa!

Defined by named cabins and thenceforth aircraft config. Canaries are Club Europe/EuroTraveller therefore Short Haul.
Moscow is served by mid-haul config A321s as well as the occasional 777 and 747, all offer World Traveller and Club World, the widebodies also WT Plus and First. It is a long haul route (with matching fares) despite being several hundres miles shorter than Tenerife.

funkydim Jun 13, 2017 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Skipcool3 (Post 28437117)
Canary Islands are shorthaul.
Moscow is long haul which is much closer.
BA market economy as Euro traveller for short haul with BOB. And World travelled for long.
So pack your hip flask and Pret take away...

Thanks for the info.
Its pretty ridiculous that a shorter flight to Moscow counts as long haul, but I guess complaining wont get me anywhere.
Now, I wonder what happens if you get caught filling a hip flask in the lounge?

Calchas Jun 18, 2017 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by funkydim (Post 28437142)
Thanks for the info.
Its pretty ridiculous that a shorter flight to Moscow counts as long haul, but I guess complaining wont get me anywhere.

Moscow also gets longhaul pricing. :)

When the route was started BA wanted to court the premium traffic on the route with £3000+ first class.

internetplumber Jul 3, 2017 5:22 am

I have an LCY flight this afternoon. MMB has been consistently saying charges for food and drink 'may apply,' and the long-rumoured date of 1st July has just passed. Any news on whether it has been rolled out, or will I get my G&T and lemon biscuits?

KARFA Jul 3, 2017 5:26 am

Originally Posted by internetplumber (Post 28514055)
I have an LCY flight this afternoon. MMB has been consistently saying charges for food and drink 'may apply,' and the long-rumoured date of 1st July has just passed. Any news on whether it has been rolled out, or will I get my G&T and lemon biscuits?

Cityflyer is still not BoB so far. I think the rumored start dates for BoB keep getting pushed back, last I heard was possibly September.

internetplumber Jul 3, 2017 5:28 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 28514066)
Cityflyer is still not BoB so far. I think the rumored start dates for BoB keep getting pushed back, last I heard was possibly September.

<homer>
Woohoo!
</homer>

Thanks, KARFA.

KARFA Jul 3, 2017 5:31 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by internetplumber (Post 28514073)
<homer>
Woohoo!
</homer>

Thanks, KARFA.

Haha, it is a very nice treat for the LCY flights. This was my haul a few weeks ago on the way to RTM, all free!

mikeyfly Jul 3, 2017 5:55 am

Originally Posted by funkydim (Post 28437142)

Don't mention this around here ;) :D :eek: